Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Sabu in Las Vegas - Saturday, Mar 12

Pages: 1 16 replies

Believe it or not, my tiki brethren, Sabu The Coconut Boy has never been to either Las Vegas OR Hawaii! (gasp).

He is remedying the Las Vegas situation this Saturday, (sorry for the late notice, I was under the impression that I had another week, but Tikibelle set me straight). I will be wandering around Las Vegas on Saturday while Tikibelle takes a class in Kingman, Arizona. She will be joining me later in the evening for dinner. Anyone want to join me in my touristy wanderings? I will have a car.

I wouldn't mind seeing:

1. Taboo Cove
  2. The Emperor's Buffet at the Imperial Palace
  3. The Eli Hedley Moai at Sunset Park
  4. The Peppermill restaurant.
  5. And any other sights that are considered worthy.

Let me know here, or PM me if anybody's free to join me on Saturday. Again, sorry for the late notice. Thanks all.

Sabu

T
thejab posted on Tue, Mar 8, 2005 4:03 PM

The latest word is that Taboo Cove is no more. Gutted. Nothing saved.

Here's the info:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12467&forum=2&vpost=132449

[ Edited by: thejab on 2005-03-08 16:09 ]

RR

I wouldn't mind seeing:

1. Taboo Cove (Closed)
  2. The Emperor's Buffet at the Imperial Palace

Sabu

The last time I went to the Imperial Palace it was a dive with bad food ... even for Vegas buffets.

No tiki-decor left at the Emperor Buffet? I don't necessarily have to eat. Just snap some pics of the tikis for the archives.

Sabu

You may also wish to visit Kahunnaville at Treasure Island.

One special area of the resturant (past the bar) is full of Bosko tikis and the bar has some excellent tiki paintings in the back.

True it is a neo-tiki bar and yes, it is a dance bar, but it is the most tiki place currently in Vegas.

PS - make sure you see the Mirage volcano and the Bellagio fountains (both at night) as well.

T

I've got a couple of things to do on Saturday, but would love to show you the sights. PM me with your arrival times and stuff.

The Pugster

darn - i wish i could be in 2 places in time...

well - have a blast in vegas.
definitely definitely DEFINITELY go to the Riviera Hotel and see Vargas. he is on a 5 week limited engagement there and is playing this weekend. Friday and Saturday night 6:30-8:30
VARGAS at the RIVIERA

also - check out Cherry Capri's top ten favorite things to do in vegas... it's basically the same stuff i would recommend :wink:
http://www.cherrycapri.com/things_topten.php

Tim,
Two things I didn't see on your list.

Not sure if its still there but check out "Papyrus" on the 2nd floor of the Luxor Hotel. There are 4 Leroy Schmaltz tikis just outside. It used to be a Polynesian themed restaurant.

Also, check out Cheeseburger at the Oasis in the Aladdin. You'll see lots of tiki stuff in there. Not Poly Pop at all but LOTS of old tiki mugs in cases and scattered throughout as well.

Don't bother with Taboo Cove - its closed.

On 2005-03-09 07:10, PolynesianPop wrote:
Tim,
Two things I didn't see on your list.

Not sure if its still there but check out "Papyrus" on the 2nd floor of the Luxor Hotel. There are 4 Leroy Schmaltz tikis just outside. It used to be a Polynesian themed restaurant.

Also, check out Cheeseburger at the Oasis in the Aladdin.

Glad to see someone reads the Tiki Road Trip.

Papyrus has great potential, although not realized. Its second story location isolates it, everything is sand colored and it does not seem to ever have committed to being a tiki bar.

However, last time I was there, about a year and half ago, there were tikis and tiki mugs present.

On 2005-03-09 06:31, Futura Girl wrote:
check out Cherry Capri's top ten favorite things to do in vegas... it's basically the same stuff i would recommend :wink:
http://www.cherrycapri.com/things_topten.php

Futura Girl:

Maybe you should tell Cherry Capri to add a #11 to the list, the Conch Hotel, http://www.lottaliving.com/gallery/commercial_motels_vegas/laconcha

An another incredible mid-century masterpiece by Paul Williams, the architect responsible for the LAX theme builidng (Encounter.

It is located across the street from the Riveria (Stardust?)

(I'm sure she would listen to your advice.)

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2005-03-09 19:40 ]

Thanks everyone for the help!

I'm taking Tikipug up on his offer to show me around on Saturday.

Futura Girl - we'll really miss you. I hope we can connect in Vegas another time.

I'll take lots of digital photos.

Sabu

Hi Sabu,

I just wanted to let ya know that Papyrus is long gone and Leroy's Tiki's have vanished into the void that is the Las Vegas Landfill. At least, that is what I was told after asking every employee around there and finally finding one that actually seemed to know something.
Make sure you DEFINATELY see what used to be the lobby of the La Concha. It has had a slight stay of execution as it is now the preview center of the mega-condo resort that will be going in there soon. It's right next door to the El Morrocco, another awesomely designed building that isn't long for this earth, and The Peppermill. Don't let the new sign and front of the place fool ya, the lounge inside is fantabulous.
And, of course, make sure Jason takes you to The Red Rooster Antique Mall. There you'll find the best collection of retro/mid-century/tiki stuff in all of Vegas!
I hope ya have a great time!

On 2005-03-10 00:50, Tiki Lee's wrote:
Hi Sabu,

I just wanted to let ya know that Papyrus is long gone and Leroy's Tiki's have vanished into the void that is the Las Vegas Landfill.

Thats a bummer. Sorry for the dated info Sabu, I last saw these tikis about 3 years ago (before Tiki Road Trip came out). I know I took pics and have them laying around somewhere....

Sabu,
If you go to the Imperial Palace and the swimming pool is open, you will find a pool-side tiki bar. Not worth seeking out but if you are already there...

Sabu, here is a discussion from Lotta Livin about interesting things to do in Vegas (wish I'd seen it before my last trip there).

Have fun!

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2902

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin on 2005-03-10 10:19 ]

A

Wow, I thought the La Concha lobby structure was already gone! If it's got a stay of execution, any idea how much longer it's gonna stick around?

-Randy

On 2005-03-10 00:50, Tiki Lee's wrote:
Hi Sabu,

I just wanted to let ya know that Papyrus is long gone and Leroy's Tiki's have vanished into the void that is the Las Vegas Landfill.
. . .
Make sure you DEFINATELY see what used to be the lobby of the La Concha. It has had a slight stay of execution as it is now the preview center of the mega-condo resort that will be going in there soon.

Double bummer. A shame that tiki is having such a difficult time catching on, although location, location, is always the rule.

A shame the La Concha is doomed too - any megaresort who wants a statement on the strip should use it as the signature entry.

Pages: 1 16 replies