Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Skull mug & decanter set p.233 in BOT

Pages: 1 10 replies

Does anyone know who made that skull mug & decanter set on p. 233 in the BOT? I think I found a couple of those mugs but they do not have a makers mark....

[ Edited by: freaky*tiki on 2005-03-09 20:14 ]

HT

I've been wanting to remake that for some time. Good find!

K
Kono posted on Sat, Mar 12, 2005 7:00 PM

Well, shit. I wish I never opened up this thread. I have that decanter (but not the glasses). But...I didn't know it was in the BoT. I thought it was some hillbilly whiskey decanter because it says "Lay Off This is the Old Man's Private Stock." Doesn't that sound like a hillbilly Ozark kind of souvenir? But I liked the skull cork. I wanted to use it on this vintage Trader Vic Suffering Bastard decanter that I have that is corkless. But it didn't fit, it was too big. It was too big for my rum bottles as well. So what did I do? I took some superfine steel wool and removed all the lettering from the decanter. I didn't know until now goddammit! The sad thing is, if the cork would've fit my TV decanter I would've put this jug in the closet and it would be intact (and it was in perfect condition) today.

Don't feel bad Kono, I actually found the set while doing an ebay search, and thought the same thing.....Some homemade hillbilly artifact.Later that day I saw it in BOT....and for the life of me couldn't remember what that thing was listed under.That's why I posted the question....I thought if I new the maker I might be able to find it again.....Oh well. You just never know do you?

K
Kono posted on Sat, Mar 12, 2005 8:03 PM

Ahhh, I'm not sad. It's funny in a way. As a younger man I used to daydream about being rich enough to buy an insanely rare Ferrari and cover it in gray primer. Except one front fender panel would be brown primer. And the hood would be missing, leaving the engine exposed. If it was a coupe then I'd have a gun rack mounted in front of the rear window. I'd drive it around all the Ferrari meets just to piss off the collectors. I was reading quite a bit of Hunter (RIP) Thompson back then.

So that I accidentally defaced an item in the BoT is kind of funny to me. How in the Hell did that hillbilly decanter and those little skull mugs get labeled as "spirit of the luau" anyway? I painted "XXX RUM" on mine. I thought it was cool but it seems a bit lame now. :lol:

D

Wild Cat Juice made by Enesco. Yes these too have been discussed here. Here is the thread...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtpic.php?topic=3806&forum=5

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-03-12 21:24 ]

I found 3, yes 3 of the jugs in one weekend, but didn't buy any of them. All 3 had a different stopper, none like that in the BOT. Maybe I should go back and pick one up.

-Z

B

The skull mugs look like the brown ones on page 100 of Tiki Quest (maybe a little smaller) and we've got a few of those decanters with pin-up girl stoppers as well as the skull one. I've seen several "luau in a box" kits. Often they have some monkey-pod pieces, the fish net, leis, place-mats, shells, etc. I suspect they were sold through wholesale gift and souvenir suppliers and were tailored to the market; be it Ozark cave gift shop, Florida souvenir stand or Honolulu crap shack. Regardless, they are all pretty cool. Keep an eye out at flea markets, and if no luck there, antique malls. Those decanters seem to turn up pretty frequently.

U

I just purchased this decanter with 6 skull shot glasses. There is a label on the bottom of the decanter:NASCO DEL CORONADO JAPAN.

U

Here is a pic of the skull and crossbones decanter withe the 6 skull shot glasses.

FM

Those are pretty awesome.

Pages: 1 10 replies