Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Feature: The Bar

Pages: 1 23 replies

New Feature: The Sidebar

If you’ve not noticed it already, I recently added perhaps the biggest change to Tiki Central so far: the Sidebar. (click here to check it out)

This change was overdue. Tiki Central has for a long time needed a place to highlight important information in a format other than (sticky) posts. The sidebar offers space for every Tiki Central user: important highlights for the frequent reader; tips and recommended reading for the new user, and an area to offer more-detailed promotional information beyond what our banner ad area can provide.

The exact format of the sidebar is loose, and I’m sure it will change over time. As with every change made to Tiki Central, there is nothing permanent about it. But my goal is to keep it a useful fixture for everyone.

Please post any comments or bug reports here. I am aware of some small formatting issues when viewing it in very wide windows, and in Firefox.

Thanks for participating,

Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-03-09 05:50 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-03-09 16:10 ]

B

I don't have any formatting issues with my screen. I Love the sidebar. How did we get along without it before. I think it will be a real time-saver and another valuable TC Tool.
Thanks

i think a sidebar is a swell idea!!!

where do i leave the tips? :)

seriously, nice work h.l.

T

Really nice feature, Hanford. I think it's great to see what topics are hot - and it's good for newbies to not get overwhelmed by all the posts & threads!

Nice job.

Can you make it flash in multiple colors??

It's like Xmas everyday at TC.

I, for one, really like the format... It's very clean and intuitive.

-Z

F

I like it. I had no idea there was a Tiki Central store until I found it there! I wish there was an aloha shirt with the TC logo on it.

UB

The sidebar is a great addition.
It just doesn’t have any Tikis in it. :D

F

On 2005-03-09 09:46, Unga Bunga wrote:
The sidebar is a great addition.
It just doesn’t have any Tikis in it. :D

That's true. Just think, an entire forum site dedicated to tiki, and there's not one tiki on the home page. (just playin' around Hanford, I think the sidebar is a great addition!)

Aagh!

I can't read it! The background is black and the writing is dark blue.

Is everyone else's different?
("Is it getting dark already?" -Bette Davis in "Dark Victory," the moment she starts to go blind.)

R

The new sidebar is excellent. Very easy to navigate. It kicks the ass out of "sliced bread"!

Yep, I like it. Very handy-dandy.

Works well on my PC running ME using Firefox as the browser, although bands of black show up at the top and bottom of the main table.

-Tikiwahine

J

I thought my computer had gone all wacky this morning - I'm diggin' it Hanford! All the pertinent current info. right at your mouse click!

*On 2005-03-09 10:36, Formikahini wrote:*I can't read it! The background is black and the writing is dark blue. Is everyone else's different?

You probably have your Theme set to something other than the default. I'm going to be updating it shortly so that it won't do that.

~Hanford

C

Very cool sidebar. Nice addition. However, I too get the black bars on the top of the forum list. I am using IE on a Mac still running system 9.2. If that helps.

Chongolio

D

thanks Hanford! ~ as always, thinking of TC'ers and our needs ~ the sidebar is great!!

heck, i didnt remember there were TC shirts (and thongs)..

elicia

Okay hopefully I've fixed most of the issues. Please post here if you're still seeing problems with it.

Hanford

Nope, no more probs - I see it just fine and dandy now, dark blue on light blue background!

Eres lo maximo, Hanford! Gracias!
F

I thought a sidebar was the bar away from the pool or what Judge Ito, Cochran and Marsha Clark had...
Great addition Hanford, looks good.

especially now that it's called "the bar," and it's on tiki central, shouldn't it have at least one tiki in it? to make it a tiki bar? :) :tiki:

once again - i learn from the master and you know that mimickery is the sincerest form of flattery - look for a sidebar on lotta living soon too.....

hanford rocks.

Tiki Side Bar....... HAHAHAHA.

The "Tiki Road Trip" link in the "Must Haves" section links to the original Tiki Road Trip book on amazon.com. Shouldn't it link to the newer 2nd Edition now? Ditto for the "Tiki Books" page http://www.tikicentral.com/books/index.htm

Also, how about adding some additional books to the Tiki Books page?
Tiki Modern, Sven Kirsten
Tiki Mugs: Cult Artifacts of Polynesian Pop, Jay Strongman
Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs, Phillip Roberts

I think newcomers to Tiki Central would certainly be interested in these in addition to the books you already have listed.

Thanks for all your hard work.

[ Edited by: kenbo-jitsu 2011-08-16 15:43 ]

I was wondering if that was new, or I just didn't notice it before. It sure helps keep track of new posts and such a lot better. Thanks! that's a great add on. :)

Pages: 1 23 replies