Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Limited Edition Mugs - Enough already!

Pages: 1 44 replies

D

I don't mean to come off like I'm angry or anything...I'm not. But is it just me or does it seem like all that is coming out lately are limited edition mugs? I mean its getting so impossible to pick up a good mug when it comes out because there are only 250 or so of them and they're snatched up like rain on the Sahara. Why aren't people producing these cool mug designs en mas? Rants and raves are welcome!

[ Edited by: Digitiki on 2005-03-10 09:40 ]

Even though the two mugs listed on here in the last two days ARE LTD Edition and WAY cool looking, I think TIKI FARM will be putting out a BUNCH of cool new mugs in the next couple of months with a lot of them being the "open" edition type. There are so many differnet types of collectors, vintage, limited edition, certain bars, the only thing for certain? We are all junkies!! YEA!

R

It's just a way to artificially raise demand and price. It makes us think "wow, I can be one of only 250 to own one" and that coupled with "i won't be able to get one if i don't act quick" is enought to quickly sell out--thus the company doesn't have to worry about marketing mugs once they're no longer new or storing them. It also helps divert us from the fact the mugs cost $25. But of course, we're suckers and we'll pay it because it's worth it to us. Also, as long as the companies make money they continue to make cool stuff so we benifit anyway.

Although....I'm pretty sure that if someone put out a limited edition thats was a big piece 'o' crap it would take quite a long time to sell or maybe never run out at all. I think with each mug these firms make we are seeing better designs and better craftsmanship. I recently got Tiki Farms / Doug Hornes "Gulp" and I think it's one of the best mugs / shot glasses I've ever seen and it appears to be an "open" edition. I look at each of my tiki mugs as a true piece of art and the makes as artists. I can't afford to have a Monet or Picasso, but damn it I'll have my Bosko, Munktiki and Tiki Farm!

One reason for limited editions is that after a number of castings the mold becomes unuseable & you have to make another. If you don't, or can't, make another mold you're stuck with the limited number of mugs you've cast.

Its really hard to go on the EBAY and roll over $450.00/$500.00 for a "Vintage Frankoma/ or other very cool vintage mug"
My take on the LTD's is that it allows the Mug collector a shot a something that there is not a whole bunch of out there for a price that will let you eat for awhile...
I personally have gone all routes buying mugs. Flea mart, thrift shop, garage sales,
antique shops,Holdens Farm, Bosko,Munktiki,tiki diablo,EBAY vs.Kohala & danloves,etc. and the point is when you see one that ya gotta have, ya get it, and the LTD's seem to be a fun way to go about this.And also make no mistake about it, the process of making a LTD mug is not an easy one, or for the faint of wallet. just my .02

On 2005-03-10 11:31, Rorysm wrote:
It's just a way to artificially raise demand and price. It makes us think "wow, I can be one of only 250 to own one" and that coupled with "i won't be able to get one if i don't act quick" is enought to quickly sell out--thus the company doesn't have to worry about marketing mugs once they're no longer new or storing them. It also helps divert us from the fact the mugs cost $25. But of course, we're suckers and we'll pay it because it's worth it to us. Also, as long as the companies make money they continue to make cool stuff so we benifit anyway.

I think you are way off base here. Since I think we are talking about the Black Skull Mug and the Drei Moai, let's use them as an example. As we all know, Tiki Farm is the major player here. If you take a look at the post regarding the new products that Tiki Farm is putting out this year (did a search, couldn't find it), you'd see they have some really cool stuff in the works that will be available to the masses. I believe these are not limited editions. The limited edition mugs are geared toward the collector, like me. Do I have a bunch of mass marketed mugs? No. But I do have the limited edition and bar/restaurant/event specific mugs. As a collector, I revere these because of what they are - rare. I know that the Drei Moai, which I picked up yesterday, is only in the hands of 250 people in the world, which is pretty cool.

I love the idea of limited edition mugs. I know we all want to own everything, but it's things like this that make each of our collections unique. I would rather be unique in my collection than own 250 Tiki Leilani mugs...

Meh, I collect what I like, not beacuse of it's rarity or limitededition-ness. If it IS a limited edition, I'll just act more quickly to be sure that I get one.

There are lots of things I would like that I just can't afford, too bad so sad for me. I'm not going to die if I never own a tiki bob or a shecky or a fu man chu, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for one in the future, which is another fun thing about collecting! You always need to have one holy grail or another, to keep things exciting! If everything was always available to everyone at a cheap price, it might get kind of boring. Just my two cents. Chastise me if you must :)

i can say this, not living in cali, where things are a little more excessable, i wish more mugs were mass market items, like any shag mugs, the recent boat mugs on munktiki, the limited disney stuff,etc.......this added to the fact that i seem to be a day late gettin to the websites on time before things are sold out, and dont have any local stores i can pick these up at make me wish for more mass market mugs, on the other hand, i understand, the molds are not going to produce as nice of mugs if too many are run thru, so its tough

drinks taste better out of "special" mugs. i dont know why, they just do. there are more than enough mass produced mugs out there. the ltd mugs are being produced because i, and others like me, would rather spend $30 on a rare mug than spend $30 on 3 mugs that everyone else has. i feel good supporting the artists that make the mugs that i enjoy so much. keep them comming!

Hi,
All of the following mugs (& other related schwag) are currently in development and are rolling out late Spring. Prices are betwen $5.50 to around $10.95...

1. Sam's Shrunken Head (mug; by Sam Gambino)
  2. Sam's Dinky Noggin (shot; by Sam Gambino)
  3. The Tikinator (by Rick Rietveld)
  4. Alohabilly Betty (by Derek)
  5. Alohabilly Babs (by Derek)
  6. Lucky Tiki (by Squid)
  7. Lil' Lucky (by Squid)
  8. Figural raised relief Tiki god over tropical background scene mug (i.e. no name yet; by Squid)
  9. Gulp (out now; by Doug Horne)
  10. Grog (by Doug Horne)
  11. Goon (by Doug Horne)
  12. Don Ho's Tiki Mug (sculpted by C'Al)
  13. Krakatoa Coffee Mug & sugar/creamer set
  14. Don Ho Suck 'em Up Characature Rocks Glass
  15. Don Ho's Tiny Bubbles Shot Glass
  16. Don Ho's Collector Plate #1
  17. Don Ho's Collector Plate #2
  18. Rick Rietveld's Fantasy Palm Plate #1 (insane!)
  19. Rick Rietveld's Fantasy Palm Plate #2 (")
  20. Mini Man Chu (Flounder)
  21. Ape Mini Mug (Al)
  22. Tini Goddess (Donella Vitale)

Yes there are a few more limited mugs coming out, too. We're doing the Don Hudson Speed Tiki mug (commissioned piece) and the official Viva Las Vegas tiki mug (also commissioned) plus we've got our Tiki Oasis V mug (plus a cool little extra bonus gift w/it). Hey if you don't like limited editions that's fine. If you like ours and hopefully appreciate the fair price points we offer these for then mahalo! We've never, since opening our doors, sold a single limited mug on eBay and we try our best to make sure that it's the collectors that get our mugs but ultimately, it's out of our control.

We're also producing right now a Purple Orchids exclusive mug (not really limited though, they buy a fair amount of mugs per design over about a year or 2's time). That should be out in a few weeks.

At Tiki Oasis, we will be debuting our "Ultimate Tiki Tunes" and "Ultimate Luau Tunes" cd's. Thanks by the way for a lot of great TC input on the content of the Tiki Tunes cd... it will show in the finished product (TC gets a major "thank you" in the liner notes). If you purchase the cd, you are afforded the opportunity to buy the mug. We'll be displaying samples of the mugs but they won't be out until June. So it's limited but limited in the sense that it depends upon how many people take us up on the mug. Here's a sneak peak of the "Ultimate Tiki Tunes" cd companion mug, which will sell for $12.95, designed by Doug Horne...

Mahaloz,
Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2005-03-10 19:08 ]

HT

I for one, am not sure where this whole debate came from, but people, please, drop it. It's as futile as the ebay ranting. There are many reasons beyond our control as to why mugs are limited editions. Don't complain. And if you'd like to attack TF, stop. If it weren't for them, you'd have no modern mugs to collect, save for Munktiki and the shitty ones put out by Accoutrements. Hush up, as my momma would say.

holden, that new mug is amazing, love it......i would never bash tiki farm or munktiki,gecko,bosko or any of the other amazing mug creators,their art is my inspiration...........mahalo

8T

I for one am fairly neutral on this subject.
I figure that you will collect what you like and can afford just like any collector does.
But I do like the wide range of glaze colors offered in the new mugs which is especially true for many "limited editions". If not for them, my humble collection of vintage mugs would be fairly bland in spectrum. The Shag, Gecko and tiki farm colors juice it up and make my shelf come alive. It is a nice "cocktail" of vintage classic drink vessels with a shot of modern bravado and artistic garnishments. DRINK UP!
:drink: :sheckymug:

When we first met.......

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2005-03-10 20:49 ]

On 2005-03-10 20:47, 8FT Tiki wrote:
I for one am fairly neutral on this subject.

Me too.
If you really look at it.
ALL Tiki mugs are "temporary".
(You can easily say that if you live in eartquake (or Pop Quake") country.
I'm just enjoyin them Now. :)

just thinking outloud here, but does anybody remember the "limited edition " beanie babies? TD

K
Kono posted on Fri, Mar 11, 2005 4:46 PM

Holden, I look forward your new mugs and am especially interested in seeing what the Don Ho pieces look like. I was looking at the Drei Moai wax sculpt and got to thinking. I don't recall ever seeing a white or off-white Tiki Farm mug. You should do a mug in off-white, the Drei sculpt looked pretty smoking.

You want to get a limited mug for a good price? Gecko still has some Mt Bumatays and Tangaroas. These are OUTSTANDING mugs and I can't believe they haven't all been sold yet. The Tangaroa sweats like a fat man when he's full of cocktail (the Tangaroa, not the fat man). It makes for a cool effect.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZdabigpuka

I agree with some of the other posts, I collect what I like...if its still available. And I too am a fan of Tiki Farm and won't put them down at all! However, it seems that this thread and the other one about Tiki being underground or mainstream has something in common. There is a group of people here that seem to collect simply for the rarity--and there's really nothing wrong with that. It just seems to me that recently there's been a ton of "limited" mugs.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Mar 14, 2005 3:22 PM

I am still studying so my tiki collection is almost all thrift store. Sure it kinda sucks that i cant afford any cool vintage or limited edition mugs, but hey thats the way the cookie crumbles. If I had the cash I would, but I dont. So for now I will just look on in jealousy...:)

I look at some of the cool stuff on here and my mind races. Unfortuneately my wallet cannot keep up!

kono, thanks for the tip, i thought i completely missed out on the gecko mugs, now due to your post they are on there way!!...and many mahalos to hot rod tiki for hookin me up with the drei moai which arrived safe and sound today.......the mug mana has been very good lately, first the speedboat moai, then drei moai, now the gecko masterpiece!!!

R
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.