Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

The Big Lamp

Pages: 1 24 replies

A

Aloha,
I started building this Tapa lamp 3 or 4 months ago. The lamp will look like an outrigger canoe, both canoe and outrigger will light up. it is eight feet long and will hang directly above the bar. In the first picture, I was going to use this Tapa, but, it was not a good material for a lamp. I thought the Print, which is bigger than the Fijian Tapa I normally use, would be better. I thought the smaller print might be too busy. I looked for months for more Tapa, on Ebay and other sources. The stuff I found really doesn't light up well. I normally buy Tapa from Momalanis, but, they recently had lost their supplier. Well they found a new supplier and I bought an enormous piece of it. Project is back on go.

I have a big Tiki on order and some other surprises. I'll post pics when I get it all done.
Mahalo,
Al

J

Keep us posted Al! If this lamp is anything like the others you've built, this one is gonna be unbelievable! By the way, thanks for the step by step instructions you posted sometime back on building a tapa ceiling fixture - I'm planning on starting one in the near future and it has proved to be an extremely valuable resource!

That looks like it will be an excellent lamp! Can't wait to see your progess!
Thanks for sharing. Your a real inspiration to many of us.

D

Thanks Alnshely, I am really curious to see how you mount the light fixtures inside. It's bound to be beautiful!

That looks Killer - I can't wait to see your progress!!! Is Tapa Clothe expensive???
Later,
Spermy

looks like a great idea Al...I'm sure it
will be very nice....can'y wait to see it
finished.

Beautiful idea!

I just had a flash on light-up Marquesan paddlers in the Tapa cloth outrigger canoe!

Hmmm, wireform models of the upper body of a paddler, covered in Tapa cloth scraps/strips (a different, tighter pattern than the canoe) soaked in Mod Podge. When it dries you mount it on top of the canoe & shine a small light up into the paddler from underneath.

On 2005-03-10 19:54, Alnshely wrote:
I normally buy Tapa from Momalanis, but, they recently had lost their supplier. Well they found a new supplier and I bought an enormous piece of it.

For us non-west coasters:

1- do they have a phone number?
2- do they ship?
3- what are their prices?
4- that looks like it's gonna be a great lamp
5- can I have it?

-Z

al~ dude we were just in reno and trader dick's has an outrigger lamp in the dining area! it is on a larger scale at about 10 ft. long though. we were also thinking about replicating it in our living room! please post a pic when it is done! i would love to see it.

dh

That's a SERIOUS tiki lamp. I'd love to see the final product.

A-A

O

Al, looking great. Any updates on the progress? wish we had the room for something that size.

K

can't wait to see this thing when it's done... gonna be super cool i just know it.

Hey, where can I find Tapa cloth. How do I get a hold of Momalanis?

S

Ebay is still a good source for tapa. It is on there a lot, you just need to look and find a big piece cheap. If you get it under 50 cents a square foot you are doing good. Under 75 is more likely though.

Buy one piece that's about 15 feet long and you are set for a lot of lamps!

I'm watchin this thread like a hawk...You two always make great stuff...can't wait to see the progress!

A

Momilani's Island Traditions
1906 Oceanside Blvd O-side CA 92054
760-754-1276

David and perlina are very cool.
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2005-04-16 08:58 ]

A

J

Wow, that turned out awesome! The way the tapa illuminates is spectacular! I'd love to have the ceiling height to hang an outrigger!

O

Nice job, I bet that looks great at night!

T

Hey Al, with those flourescent bulbs, you're not able to dim the lights, are you?

In any case, great job!

Wow, thats a beauty! Great job Al!!!

B

Wow what a fantastic idea and a beautiful way to put it together. Very impressive. I Really Likeee

K

Mighty fine, mighty fine... one of a kind.

that lamp turned out AWESOME!

nice job and cool looking tiki pad!

T

Here's a shot of Al's work that I shot when they were gracious enough to have us stay over.

Pages: 1 24 replies