Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Meyers 'Oceanic Art' for .... $20

Pages: 1 2 67 replies

I

Earlier today, I was quote excited to find a new copy of the 2 volume slipcased Anthony Meyers book on 'Oceanic Art' -- originally priced at $80, I found it for $30 at a local bookstore. With over 600 pages, more than 800 color photographs, and weighing nearly 12 pounds, this is an impressive book. As soon as my eyes saw the display copy, I knew I needed a copy for my home.

Previous threads here on Tiki Central said this book was out of print. I checked the Strand Books in New York website, and discovered that they have many copies (104 as I type this) available for $20 each. Shipping would be extra, but it would still likely be of high interest for many of us here.

http://www.strandbooks.com/profile/?isbn=3895080802&itemno=0

I thought I'd mention it here, for those who would want to get a copy of their own, at a very reasonable price, before it becomes unavailable again.

Vern

Hey Thanks for the heads up!!! I just ordered me a copy!!! I can't wait to check it out!!!
Later,
Spermy

me too......thanks Vern

oh man, you're the best! I lost out on ebay for that book a while back. I guess sometimes you lose a auction for a reason.Cool!
Thanks

[ Edited by: BambooLodge on 2005-03-11 08:28 ]

Sweet, thanx for the inside skinney on this, just placed our order!
Peace Out,
D&C

I guess I hit submit twice, sorry!!!!

BaMbOoLoDgE...where the South Pacific meets the Great White North!

[ Edited by: BambooLodge on 2005-03-11 08:25 ]

On 2005-03-11 07:35, BambooLodge wrote:
Peace Out,

Strand Bookstore, as I am sure or NYC posters can attest, ROCKS. One can be lost in there all damn day.

If you ever go to NYC, DO NOT go to Strand - you'll waste a whole day i a bookstore, when there is so much else to do and see! :)

Good deal on this book, Vern.

Read the fine print tho - this is a single-volume reprint of the 2-book set.

So if having the original dual-volumes are important to you, skip this offer.

Thanks ikitnrev, order one as well. The qnty in stock is now 94, so you helped sell 10 more copies so far.

[ Edited by: Tiki Dude on 2005-03-11 10:49 ]

I got my copy from The Strand bookstore a few years ago (actually it was a gift that I campaigned for) and let me say that it's one of my favorite book in my library... tiki or otherwise.

the price is really good too considering that some places charge well over $100 for the same thing. (and yes, it is the SINGLE volume edition that the Strand sells)

Get it while you can people!

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2005-03-11 13:11 ]

I bought one too. Been waiting for a price break on this for a long time.

Thanks VERN

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2005-03-11 14:42 ]

B

Perfect! I knew my Mom's credit card number would come in handy.

Got one for me, too.

Thanks for the heads-up.

How much was the shipping?

R

What an excellent deal. ikitnrev, you rock! Couldn't wait to get it so I paid extra for the faster shipping.

[ Edited by: Riptide on 2005-03-11 13:18 ]

Mahalo Vern. Great tip.
KG

J
JTD posted on Fri, Mar 11, 2005 2:01 PM

ookoo,
Shipping was $5.00 to here. Cheap.

The folks at Strand must be scratching their collective head going, "What the hell?"

Good work Vern and thanks.

JTD

I just placed my order. Thanks Itiknrev.

I just placed my order. Thanks Itiknrev.

Great deal, Vern. Absolutely worth many times $20 of anyone's money. I'd perhaps shop with a company that charges a flat rate rather than one that charges actual postage due to the weight.

Some more spiel about it here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1135&forum=1

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2005-03-11 14:48 ]

K
Kono posted on Fri, Mar 11, 2005 5:12 PM

Thanks for the tip! I think it's cool that you can pay via PayPal.

J

Just got my copy via UPS today - I nearly threw my back out picking the box up - an impressive, substantial book - can't wait to look at it in depth! Thanks for the tip Vern!

mahalo vern, i ordered one too.

lessee... roughly 12 to 14 sales within a couple days? they have to be wondering what happened. or maybe that kind of thing happens more than we might realize...

WOW...got it today...this is....in fact...
the two volume set with slipcase...
great bargain..thanks again Vern

got mine today. This goes down as the best tip of the year.

Vern, you are awesome for sharing the wealth. Mahalo! :drink:

first of all, Vern...you da man! great tip and thanks for sharin' the tip!

Conga, are you saying you did receive a two volume set in slipcase? i'm wondering what version i got, because it's one, large book without a slipcase? any ideas?

I

I'm glad to see that my initial message has resulted in so many pleased readers. Although is it really reading when all I've done so far is simply flip through all the color photographs? I swear someday I will get to actually reading the text in this book.

The bookstore where I found my copy had two versions - a two volume slipcased set(which I could open), and a thicker, single volume copy (which was shrinkwrapped). The cover height, width, and cover photos for both versions were exactly the same. I bought the slipcased version, as it appeared to have perhaps 100-150 more pages in it (it has 640 total pages) While the single volume was marked $5 - $10 less, I chose to go with quantity this time around.

It would be very easy for a store clerk, fulfilling a mail order, to accidently select the two-volume set in place of the single volume.

Vern

K
Kono posted on Thu, Mar 17, 2005 10:16 AM

Anyone else use the PayPal option? If so, PM me if you don't mind.

J
JTD posted on Thu, Mar 17, 2005 12:15 PM

2-volume, slipcased version showed up at my house today. yay!

Just ordered mine. Looking forward to educating myself and losing myself in the pictures. Thanks

On 2005-03-17 10:16, Kono wrote:
Anyone else use the PayPal option? If so, PM me if you don't mind.

Kono, check your PM. I paid with Paypal.

i started reading mine in bed last nite. i had the spine resting on my sternum (? jim i'm not a doctor) and when i took it off to turn in a half hour later, i felt like i had had a small boulder sitting on me :)

Thanks for the lead ... my birthday is next week and Mr. Cruzin just ordered this for me. I can't wait!

P

Just got mine. Thanks for the heads up ikitnrev!

Single hardbound volume tome, a beautiful book.

But, I noticed that in my copy, pages 81-100~ were missing and pages ~101-140 were duplicate. I thought that I couldn't possibly have drank that much so early! Possibly the reason these are so cheap are that they are seconds? Still an awsome book at an great value!

[ Edited by: Philot on 2005-03-17 19:04 ]

tiki1963....yes I did get the two volume
set...must be the luck of the irish on that
one...but either edition is a great bargain.

gee, I was begining to wonder what happened to my book. When I would check my account it would read that my order was still in processing stage.I knew they had my money already, as I paid right away.
I had checked the front door at 6:30pm last night and nothing. This morning at 5:45 I go out to start up the car, and there was the huge box! The UPS person must have forgot to ring the bell. So I can start searching through the pages as soon as I get off of here.
Thanks so much for the tip ikitnrev! Glad I lost out on ebay for this book a while back, you save me a lot of $$$$$

On 2005-03-18 05:01, exotica59 wrote:
gee, I was begining to wonder what happened to my book. When I would check my account it would read that my order was still in processing stage.I knew they had my money already, as I paid right away.
I had checked the front door at 6:30pm last night and nothing. This morning at 5:45 I go out to start up the car, and there was the huge box! The UPS person must have forgot to ring the bell. So I can start searching through the pages as soon as I get off of here.
Thanks so much for the tip ikitnrev! Glad I lost out on ebay for this book a while back, you save me a lot of $$$$$

We had somewhat the same experience, when the empty milk bottles were put out for the Oberweis guy (about 10:30pm), low and behold, our UPS man had done the same thing...the drop and run! Can't wait to get home tonite and check it out! Thanx again Vern.
TTFN,
Dave & Coalbe

PI

Thanks for the link! I just ordered mine. There are 77 left!

H

Thanks, just ordered one, great buy...

On 2005-03-17 19:03, Philot wrote:

But, I noticed that in my copy, pages 81-100~ were missing and pages ~101-140 were duplicate. I thought that I couldn't possibly have drank that much so early! Possibly the reason these are so cheap are that they are seconds?

mine don't have that feature. it must be a mixed bag they're pulling from.

this is a fascinating book, i've been reading it every night. i'm in 'asmat people' now.

S

Ordered mine. Couldn't get paypal to work.

The blurb on the website says the two SKUs are the same for both volumes. Anyone compare the two to see how one has more pages? bigger pictures?

I'm watching for the mailman.

Just ordered mine and I used Paypal.

It didn't look to me like the paypal was gonna work, but I got an email the next day asking to complete the transaction...so I'm satisfied everything is fine. Thanks for the tip Vern.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret on 2005-03-20 20:13 ]

I have the same problem with the duplicate pages. Anyone else get stuck with this version?

-g-

PI

I got mine last night. One book but I didn't have duplicate or missing pages. I almost threw my back out picking it up though.

I see that some people here refer to this as 2 volumes. I ordered it and got one big fat book (640 pages). Is this the same book? Is there a companion volume?

On 2005-03-11 10:22, tikibars wrote:

Read the fine print tho - this is a single-volume reprint of the 2-book set.

So if having the original dual-volumes are important to you, skip this offer.

for Mr. Pineapple-Bot...

T

Thanks honey!

Pages: 1 2 67 replies