Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Damn, I Hate Minnesota!

Pages: 1 2 59 replies

I have heard there is a variety of palm from Algeria that can do well in long periods of sub zero weather.

http://www.jurassicpalms.com

perhapes a tiki yard is really the thing that you are missing? You would need to heat the Koi pond tho.

A good and oft-neglected point, Zebra.

Where you first sprung up may not be where you'll end up happiest. A transplanting may be in order.

Myself, I love Northern California because we have just enough cold to make a blustery, atmospheric winter and just enough heat for a laid-back BBQ summer. (Of course, we pay through the nose for this!!!)

But I couldn't go more climatically extreme than this without suffering greatly--in either direction, mind you. Florida is paradise for, like, a week. As another of the Pasty Celtic Folk, I don't think my body could take much more.

Scott dear, you need a vacation. Come visit us in California! :)

It was a short trip to Costa Mesa, CA that set off my whining. I don't know if I could handle another sun-filled vacation. :wink:

Actually, we are planning a trip to San Diego over Memorial Day weekend, so, soon, I'll get my sun. Although, it was rather warm today here in Minnesota, reaching into the 60's this afternoon.

It's here!! It's here!! Yesterday was pretty warm, getting up to almost 60. But today we're looking at upper 60's and sun! I just took all the plastic off the windows and I even opened one up! Although there is still snow in my backyard, I believe I will drag out the grill and throw on some burgers and brats.

Man, it feels good to wear shorts again!

On Easter Sunday it was warm enough in Minneapolis that we could smell charcoal grills being started as we drove about town. Gotta love the smell of charcoal briquets soaked in starter fluid. :)

Hi Scott, we are almost neighbors. My wife and I packed up and moved to Florida, then moved back 10 months later. If you want some tips or help on the transition or just to decide whether or not to move, email me [email protected]

J

You know the weirdest thing happened to me this morning... I woke up and there was this bright light shining in my bedroom window. I didn't know what it was so I had to go outside and get a better look. So I go outside and up in the sky was this round disk that was radiating light and warmth!! I don't ever remember seeing this thing before but it had an effect on my mood - I was suddenly feeling a lot better about the supposed arrival of spring and what really struck me was that I didn't need to wear a coat! I did some research online and actually found that this thing is called "the sun." Then I had vague recollections of maybe seeing this phenomenon a few times before but that must have been 6 months ago!

Our brief exposure to the sun has ended and, as I type, it is thundering and raining outside. I am already forgetting what it felt like.
A positive aspect of the thunderstorm is that it will wash away a lot of the dirt and crud that accumulated over the winter.

RCL Roger,
Thanks for the offer!
Whereabouts in St Paul are you located? I live on Southview Blvd near Hwy 52 in South St Paul.
Hmm, I wonder if there are enough tikiphiles in the Twin Cities to have a get together?

On 2005-03-30 06:47, ScottMcGerik wrote:
Our brief exposure to the sun has ended and, as I type, it is thundering and raining outside. I am already forgetting what it felt like.
A positive aspect of the thunderstorm is that it will wash away a lot of the dirt and crud that accumulated over the winter.

RCL Roger,
Thanks for the offer!
Whereabouts in St Paul are you located? I live on Southview Blvd near Hwy 52 in South St Paul.
Hmm, I wonder if there are enough tikiphiles in the Twin Cities to have a get together?

It's 9:30am here in Milwaukee. It's sunny right now, but if what you say is true then I should be getting rain clouds rolling in any time now.

I really don't mind the rain. I kind of like it actually. It reminds me that it's to warm to snow.

The sun is out right now,and the day is really warm-probably in the low 70's-which is quite amazing.I've been doing some outdoor stuff,but we are also in line to get some thunderboomers tonight-agree that it's better than snow.

I live by 35 E and hwy 36. Yeah maybe a Tikiphile get together at Psycho Suzi's. Ever been there? its in Mpls (NE). Google that name and you'll get the web site. Great Tiki bar. with great pizza.

Thank God! I'm flying out to San Diego tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get some sun after 25 days straight of rain and clouds.

We plan on stopping by the Bali Hai and other places. Is there a favorite place for tikiphiles in San Diego? And if I were to show up, is there a secret sign/handshake I could do to recognize them? :wink:

Pages: 1 2 59 replies