Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Unfaithful

Pages: 1 8 replies

I must admit my guilt, standing up my favorite lady (the Bali Hai on Shelter Island, San Diego) for someone younger and hipper (Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge, in the Gaslamp District).

Sure, the glass blowfish lamps, shiny new tiki decor, and the short-skirted servers were eye-candy, the the Mai Tai Lounge just lacked the class (not to mention decent Mai Tais) that Bali Hai has.

I hope Mr. Bali Hai forgives me for my faithless flirting with the the nosering-toting Tiki at the Mai Tai Lounge.

Am I the only one who has a guilt trip when I pass up a venerable Tiki spot for a Neo-Tiki joint?

Tikipedia.com

I hold high hopes for Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge. Right now they're in their infancy but they've gotten off to a good start with Bosko's designs and a fairly decent drink & pupus menu. Sure, there's room for improvement, but if Mr. Tiki makes a splash in the Gaslamp, the Bali Hai, Halfmoon Inn and the Hanalei will benefit as well.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2005-03-12 23:45 ]

Have no fear, for you are not alone. Do not hang your head in shame. Many may wander, but, returning home with more appreciation for what is good ,wholesome and natural. Lift your glass high and have another.

[ Edited by: Swizzlestick on 2005-03-12 09:54 ]

On 2005-03-11 23:40, tikipedia wrote:
Sure, the glass blowfish lamps, shiny new tiki decor, and the short-skirted servers were eye-candy...

Hey, what's a glass blowfish lamp? Is that like a blowfish lamp made from glass? Or is it one of those sweeet glass floats with a little puffer inside of it? You've got me curious!

On 2005-03-12 13:27, Tikiwahine wrote:

Hey, what's a glass blowfish lamp? Is that like a blowfish lamp made from glass?

Exactly! They are cute spotted blowfish made of various colors of glass that are hanging over the booths.

Don't feel unfaithful going to Mister Tiki, as you are supporting a new tiki establishment! If you still have guilt, then that's a good excuse to go to the Bali Hai again.

When I last went to Mister Tiki, we had a really exceptionally wonderful meal, personable server who knew the answer to all of our questions about the menu AND decor, and all was perfect in the world for that night.

The next day, we went to Bali Hai of course, as not going would seem wrong, and we did imagine spies from Trader Vic's Emeryville popping out from behind a palm tree and pointing at us and yelling, "Ah-HA! Caught you! No more good tables for YOU!"

D

Tikiwahine wrote:

Hey, what's a glass blowfish lamp? Is that like a blowfish lamp made from glass?

cooool!
Thanks for the info and the pics!

I'd love to visit ANYTHING tiki, but unfortunately, we're a little lacking up here.

Those are cool, they'd be great in a dining room. Very tiki-chic.

-Tw

The food was pretty good, but I found the drinks lacking. For a place that bills itself as the 'Mai Tai Lounge', I am setting high expectations. Their 'Haole Mai Tai' was like drinking fruit punch. Their 'Classic' mai tai was a tad stronger, but was too little for $7.00 (although this is the going rate for drinks in the Gaslamp District).

The decor was top notch, but the Tiki with a nose ring annoyed me. I did my best Regis Philbin impersonation, and told the wahine 'A Tiki with a nose ring?? That is blatant pandering to the hipster crowd! What next, will the tikis sport a tatoo in the lower part of their backs!! I can handle a bone in the nose, but a nose ring?!?!'

It never hurts to have a bit of melodrama after visiting a new Tiki joint. :)

Tikipedia.com

I have to admit, on the strength & quality of the drinks alone...Bali Hai kicks Mister Tiki's ass.

Pages: 1 8 replies