Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Is this a new ebay feature?

Pages: 1 6 replies

K
Kono posted on Sun, Mar 13, 2005 4:15 PM

Submit Best Offer?

Is this ebay's way of dealing with the "I'll pay you fifty dollars if you end the auction early" cads?

I guess now you can make your offer and ebay still gets their cut.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3963772311&rd=1

I’ve never seen this before. Isn’t auctioning the “best offer” to begin with? Like Ebay has always been?
I think it would be cool if Ebay started a bartering website like for trading, exchanging services, etc...

T

The way it reads though is that you can only make 1 bid. I guess that's where the multiple usernames come in handy.

that's the first time I've seen that myself. b

W

Best Offer is essentially a Buy It Now where the buyer sets the price, terms etc and the seller has right of refusal. Another way of looking at it is a hidden reserve combined with buy it now but with right of refusal. So, you are correct; it is the way ebay gets their cut from the end it early via email transaction crowd. The plus side is that if you offer a high enough price and you offer is accepted, there is no sniping to worry about.

M

I think craiglist has cornered the trading/bartering market handsdown and still doesn't ask any money for it. I can't see bartering being profitable for eBay.

On 2005-03-13 21:24, Unga Bunga wrote:
I’ve never seen this before. Isn’t auctioning the “best offer” to begin with? Like Ebay has always been?
I think it would be cool if Ebay started a bartering website like for trading, exchanging services, etc...

M

Yeah, I guess this new feature justifies the fee hikes!!! I do like the new "Want it Now" feature though. It's hard enough to know what people want, this feature tells you what people are looking for...me likes @;-)

On 2005-03-13 16:15, Kono wrote:
Submit Best Offer?

Is this ebay's way of dealing with the "I'll pay you fifty dollars if you end the auction early" cads?

I guess now you can make your offer and ebay still gets their cut.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3963772311&rd=1

Pages: 1 6 replies