Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Firescaping - fire safe GLASS

Pages: 1 4 replies

C

Short story/question:

has anyone had any experience working with gas fireplaces/firescaping and glass bedding for it?

found pics of this cool yard

Long story/question:

Ok, so I found this company that makes fireplace glass... it goes over your gas burner in you gas fireplace.

Here's the link:
http://moderustic.com/index.php

What I'm thinking is... When I make my Tiki Paradise backyard retreart, I'm guna put in a volcano... thinking about using the red glass as "lava" in channels that run down the sides of the moutnain. I could lay in gas pipe, and have flames come up through the glass. Also thinking about backlighting the red glass so the "lava" will "glow"

just wondering if anyone has done something similar, found out any tips... things like that...

B

ChopTop, first, Welcome to TC, hope you enjoy yourself here. I haven't seen this fireglass but it looks fantastic and very interesting. The Volcano you described sounds really neat. Starts many gears rolling. Definately keep us posted

Hey that's cool!
When we switched to gas heating last year my first thought was Torches in the Front Yard! Husband thinks it would be expensive and dangerous. sigh

Does anyone have experience with gas powered torches in their yard? I'd love to somehow make it work. Can you imagine coming home from work to a couple of torches lit to greet you? Or maybe just have them out for special occasions?
(the cheap bamboo jobbies - which I have 4 pairs of - just don't scream FIRE! FIRE! like the pyromaniac inside me does.)

T

I have a gas firepit it my backyard. To get a more dispersed, even flame, I buried the burner in about six inches of sand and then some lava rock. The gas seeps through the sand which gives a more distributed flame as opposed to one big flame like you typically see in a gas firplace.

The point is, I do not think you need glass. Any type of material will work. I would guess that you could use red fishtank gravel if you wanted to.

I will be building a volcanoe shortly,I bought some feather rock which is volcanic rock that has cooled in the ocean very lite weight stuff and also black in color,it will be about 4' tall and maybe 6'diameter.My plan is to make water come out of it and have red lights in the water to make it look like lava and have smoke come out of it too.

Pages: 1 4 replies