Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New BARRACUDA Mag # 22 is a "Lotsa Tiki" Issue

Pages: 1 33 replies

On the cover: Crazy Al's Lucky Tiki skull Tiki (next to the babe) and the "El B Tiki" hot rod that Danny "Chikitiki" Gallardo worked on.
Inside: Lots more pics of the Lucky Tiki Bar, with Kevin Kidney's Logo Tiki (which was carved by Tikifille), "El B Tiki" details, an article by Doug Nason on Tiki's origins, lotsa babes in Tiki surroundings, AND a splendid article by our very own Kailuageoff on Frances Langford's Outrigger Restaurant:

With detailed research Geoff pulls together the influences of 30s and 40s movies, radio and literature on Polynesian Pop and how they led to the building of the Outrigger Restaurant. The rise and fall of the Outrigger paralells the evolution and decline of Polynesian Pop down to it's "Buffetization" at the end. I wish this kind of urban archeology would be applied to more of the remaining unresurrected Tiki temple histories, creating unwritten chapters of the Book of Tiki.

What is unfortunate though is, that despite Geoff supplying a stack of paper ephemera and images, very few made it into the article. I fear that the lack of visual incentive might keep this story an insider's enjoyment, fully read only by the already motivated. I hope to see more of what was not used in these pages.

BigBro,
Mahalo for letting us know the issue is off the presses and in the mail. I can't wait to get my copy. I would be happy to post some additonal "eye-candy" regarding the Outrigger. It is a lengthy article and I'm sure that's what cut into the amount of art that could be used.
I have to say I'm really honored to be published in Barracuda, to recieve your generous compliments and to be in the company of Al, Kevin and Doug. Most of all, however, I'm happy the story of Jon Hall and Frances Langford is finally being told.
KG

H
hewey posted on Tue, Mar 15, 2005 4:27 PM

Ooh, I think I gotta get myself a copy of this.

Here's a Tiki archeology quiz:
In Geoff's article in Barracuda, there is one artifact that establishes the connection of The Outrigger to Don the Beachcomber that Geoff talks about...What is it, and where is the connection?

Hey, nobody wanna play? C'mon, it's easy, really.

...anybody any opinions on the Tiki Issue?

Umm, Mamo Howell danced in both places?

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep! Wrong! Off the cliff with you, sharkbait!

On 2005-03-18 19:35, bigbrotiki wrote:
....there is one ARTIFACT...

TB

TB

Sven, Here is the cover.. Shot at The Lucky Tiki with Crazy Al's masterpiece.

I always get my issues at car shows or buy the four pack of past issues online and always find a tiki or two in there. But, after lookin' at this cover, I've just added my name to their subscription list!

But why did they rename it Arracuda?
And what does "He otsa iki Sue" mean? What's he doin' with Iki Sue?

Gnarly! Good to see C'Al's tiki makin the cover, and also chikitikis ride! So, did any of my baby tiki bar stools make it in the photos? I thought I gave them a good talk before they were bolted down to jump in any photo op. possible.

CA

Weeee! "Tiki#80:Four Victories" and the Lucky Tiki hit the cover of Barracuda Magazine!!!
Tiki Issue!!

the tiki is all over the Busty Chick layout... woo hoo...
to bad it does not tell you who carved it....

Maybe next time........

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2005-03-24 12:58 ]

On 2005-03-18 19:35, bigbrotiki wrote:
In Geoff's article in Barracuda, there is one artifact that establishes the connection of The Outrigger to Don the Beachcomber that Geoff talks about...What is it, and where is the connection?

Kids, don't dissappoint me, where is your urban archeology spirit!? Has nobody gotten the issue yet? Is it in another room than The Book of Tiki?

Here's a hint: The said artifact continues a "Chain of Transmission" tradition from Don's, by using iconography that HE took from somewhere else too.

I promise I won't order you off the cliff if you don't get it right, either!

T

On 2005-03-24 13:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
Is it in another room than The Book of Tiki?

Yes, I keep Barracuda in my bathroom. Heh heh.

Maybe the reason no one is playing the tiki trivia game is because they have not recieved their issue yet. I am still waiting for mine to show up in the mailbox, for example..... Glad to get a preview of the cover, however. That's a righteous looking tiki Al carved.
KG

I checked both Tower Records and Barnes & Noble by me for the issue. They said it was due on the 15th, but it never came. They don't expect it to come either. There really is no tiki on Long Island. Wah wah wah.

T

The new issue states that several distributors are no longer offering Barracuda. If those venues were using one of those distributors, they may need to find another vendor. I hit both those places, as well, and had no luck. I finally found it at Joe Muggs. The distributors that no longer offer it are Desert Moon Periodicals, Get Hip and Hepcat Records. The Barracuda web site has a retailer locator (at least it did, at one point). That may point you toward some other shops in your area that carry it. Good luck!

designer Ed Lawrence?

-Z

designer Ed Lawrence?

-Z

Good guess Z, but Sven means an artifact as an object. Ed Lawarence definitely had a link to Donn Beach, however.
KG
(I still don't have my issue. Curses!)

Thanks Thomaoi,

I tried their retailer finder, but nada for the tiki-free zone of Long Island.

On 2005-03-27 18:07, Kailuageoff wrote:
Good guess Z, but Sven means an artifact as an object.

OK, I give up. I must be drunk or stupid because I've re-scanned the article 3 times. The only thing it could possibly be is that on the matchbook pictured, the Outrigger logo has the same driftwood background as Don's.

do I win a cookie?

-Z

Close but no cigar, FZ. Check the Donn Beach chapter in the BOT!

What is this Book of Tiki you speak of?
I've never heard of it.

-Z

:lol:

OK, last guess. the mag was at home but the book was at work. now I'm at work. Could it be the art of Miguel Covarrubias? I might have guessed this sooner, but I kept closing the magazine to study (and re-study) the cover... the mag is at home now so I'm free to think clearly :)

-Z

I'm a subscriber, but I still haven't received mine yet. Hopefully it's on its way.

-g-

On 2005-03-28 07:03, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
OK, last guess. the mag was at home but the book was at work. now I'm at work. Could it be the art of Miguel Covarrubias?
-Z

You GOT IT! ...almost right, you see:
This brings up the NEXT question "HOW can we tell that the matchbook's icons were actually taken from the Don The Beachcomber menu cover, and not from the various Covarrubias maps? How, ha? How, tell me quick, tellme tellme tellmeeeee...??? BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! Time's up.

Alright. Because I cannot justify letting you folks spend more weeks wrecking your brains over these fascinating questions of world-importance, here is the answer to that sub-question:

While most of the icons on the Outrigger matchbook were taken from the various Covarrubias maps (Economy, Art, Fauna, Transportation) to adorn the Beachcomber menu, the WAHINE is not on any of the maps and is unique to the MENU. Thus it is clear that the matchbook's inspiration came from Don's, which makes sense because of Ed Lawrence's involvement.

Stay tuned to next week: What did Don think about the use of his menu graphics on the Outrigger matchbook?....(not really) :wink:

While waiting and waiting and waiting for my issue to arrive in the mail.... (it still has not arrived.) I thought I would ask another brain teaser related to the Outrigger. (Sorry Bigbro, but you can't play.)

The Outrigger name is related to another tiki restaurant in Florida. What is the name of the restaurant and where was it located?

I cant find this magazine anywhere here in calgary. Guess I may have to order it online .

I heard Trader Vic claimed to have created the Wahine first & anyone who thinks differntly is a dirty stinker.

I received my issue a few days ago...I havent been able to take my eyes off the cover yet!

Seriously, do any of you Cali-gear heads know this guy who did the mat & split bamboo interior of the El B Tiki rod?
THAT is how I pictured the interior of my '48 Ford. I'd really be interested in knowing what kinda price I'm looking at to do the interior doors like that.

For you guys who can't find it, simply go to the Barracuda website and order it. They usually get my stuff out within a week or two. Hell, if you're into cars at all, just subscribe and get it over with! It really is worth the $12.00. I think you can order this issue seperately too.

Good luck! And if anybody can help me with the door paneling, please reply or e-mail or PM me or whatever.

Thanks!

On 2005-03-30 18:50, the75stingray wrote:
Seriously, do any of you Cali-gear heads know this guy who did the mat & split bamboo interior of the El B Tiki rod?
THAT is how I pictured the interior of my '48 Ford. I'd really be interested in knowing what kinda price I'm looking at to do the interior doors like that.

The interior of that car was designed by Danny Gallardo aka Tiki Diablo and installed by Ivan Sanchez the owner of the car. Danny is also known as thechikitiki round these parts...

NO FREAKIN' WAY! Cool! Now I can brag about chattin' with yet another 'celebrity'!

Thanks!

I've posted a load of art and info. on Frances Langford's Outrigger Restaurant in the Locating Tiki forum for those that are interested.

Pages: 1 33 replies