Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kamapua'a Contest - an' da Winnah is ...

Pages: 1 15 replies

Check 'um out!

Interested in winning a free copy of Kamapua'a, the Hawaiian Pig God: Adventures on Oahu - Volume One?

Den, help us figure out how to give 'um away!

Here's da situation. Chongolio, Tiki Chris an' I have been rackin' our brains fo' days tryin' to come up wid a contest giveaway. An' shootz, now our brains hurt but we still don' have no decent ideas.

So help some braddahs out by comin' up wid a contest fo' us (an' we'll send you a free copy of Volume One)!

Basically, da object of dis contest is to come up wid an idea fo' a contest.

Da Rules

1. Post your idea for a contest on this thread (only one entry per person).

2. Make your contest idea reasonable and realistic but don't make it too easy! Remember this isn't for a new car or a dream vacation. It's for a book that costs around $5.00 (plus shipping), tells an exciting story, and is filled with cool graphics.

3. Deadline for participating entries is April 1, 2005.

4. Chongolio and Tiki Chris will decide the winner and post the winner's name on this same thread by April 7, 2005.

Wot da winner gonna git?

Da winner's gonna receive one free copy of Kamapua'a, the Hawaiian Pig God: Adventures on Oahu - Volume One.

Plus, da winner's contest idea will be used on Tiki Central when Chongolio an' Tiki Chris release Volume Two in June 2005.

Geev'um,

Kamapua'a

[ Edited by: Kamapua'a on 2005-04-07 06:59 ]

Learn to play "The Hawaiian War Chant" on the Jaw Harp & Kazoo?

I win!

PI

How about best hula dance? I'd like to see some videos of the contestants!

Photo... err, I mean, digitally manipulate pictures of the main characters into different scenes.

a farkload of funny!

On 2005-03-16 10:43, freddiefreelance wrote:
Learn to play "The Hawaiian War Chant" on the Jaw Harp & Kazoo?

I win!

At the same time?

One week left.

Scroll up fo' details & keep da good ideas comin'!

Mahalo,
Kamapua'a

[ Edited by: Kamapua'a on 2005-03-25 08:17 ]

K

Why not submit some images from the comic without any text in the dialogue bubbles. A scene with a conversation between characters would be good. Then contestants decide what the characters are saying in the scene and type it in themselves.

Funniest interpretation wins.

Ahu

K

Great responses so far, peopo.

Maybe if you no goin' to da crawl, you can wallow wid dis pig god an' try come up wid some more contest ideas.

Today's da last day fo' da contest.

Mahalo,
Kamapua'a

Pick the country of the next Miss Hawaiin Tropic. The tiebreakers would be to pick the color of her eyes .........and ........then the color of her hair..

TC

Ha! This is fun. All these ideas are interesting and a couple are going to be very close contenders!

Keep on coming up w/ ideas - ya got until midnight in Hawaii (that's 5 a.m. here on the east coast & 2 a.m. on the west coast).

And remember to take a look at http://www.piggod.com to find out what our Kamapua'a series is all about.

Mahalo for your interest,
Tiki Chris

K

Dis contest is pau. We'll be back on April 7 to announce da winner!

Mahalo,
Kamapua'a

http://www.piggod.com

K

On 2005-03-25 08:22, KuKuAhu wrote:
Why not submit some images from the comic without any text in the dialogue bubbles. A scene with a conversation between characters would be good. Then contestants decide what the characters are saying in the scene and type it in themselves.

Funniest interpretation wins.

Ahu

Eh braddah Ahu, you da winnah! Send us an email wid your mailing address so we can get your free copy of Volume One to you.

Mahalo to everybody dat contributed ideas.

Kamapua'a
[email protected]

K

Hey! Cool man! (er...swine?)

That's perfect timing, I can read it on the plane on the way to Kauai!

I'll fire off an email to ya later today. I think this will prove a laughtacular contest. You have some truly funny people around here.

And I do mean "ha ha" funny.

Mahalo,

Ahu

C

Congrats KuKuAhu,
Mahalo for the great idea, this will be a fun contest. I agree there are some funny folks frequenting this forum. Please forward a copy of your address over to me as well and I will get your book to you wikiwiki. Definately a perfect read for a trip to the isands!
Thanks to everybody who took the time to play along!
Oink-oink,
Chongolio

HH

So i was lucky enough to pic up this book from chongolio this past weekend at the sf crawl. If you like hawaiian folklore its da kine. Im a bonfide fan of da pig. I CANT WAIT FOR THE OTHER 2 VOLS. When I was done I was like awe man I gotta wait for da rest?? Naw its all good, chongo's art is top notch and chris writing is great. My only complaint if you can call it that or critque would be the pidgin english is not really there but i guess you couldnt do a story if no one could understand it but locals. Oh and the bold print hawaiian words? I didnt get the reason behind this.Im taking it that it makes it easier for the reader to spock em in da glossary. Well all in all its great and I would like to encourge everyone to give it a shot,hell if you dont like just think you helping out a fellow TC'r and put it away in your collection. I really think this book would go over well at hawaiian type festivals , since to me the appeal leans towards that.
Great job guy and keep it coming!

KAMAPUA'A!!!!!

[ Edited by: hula hula on 2005-04-07 20:15 ]

TC

On 2005-04-07 20:12, hula hula wrote:
So i was lucky enough to pic up this book from chongolio this past weekend at the sf crawl. If you like hawaiian folklore its da kine. Im a bonfide fan of da pig. I CANT WAIT FOR THE OTHER 2 VOLS. When I was done I was like awe man I gotta wait for da rest?? Naw its all good, chongo's art is top notch and chris writing is great. My only complaint if you can call it that or critque would be the pidgin english is not really there but i guess you couldnt do a story if no one could understand it but locals. Oh and the bold print hawaiian words? I didnt get the reason behind this.Im taking it that it makes it easier for the reader to spock em in da glossary. Well all in all its great and I would like to encourge everyone to give it a shot,hell if you dont like just think you helping out a fellow TC'r and put it away in your collection. I really think this book would go over well at hawaiian type festivals , since to me the appeal leans towards that.
Great job guy and keep it coming!

KAMAPUA'A!!!!!

hula hula,

I’m glad you enjoyed Volume One, and I sincerely appreciate your kind words. Researching the Kamapua’a legend and making it more accessible for everybody has been an incredible experience, and working with Chongolio is always a blast.

If you liked Volume One, you’re gonna love the next two volumes. Kamapua’a has set himself up for some real trouble. The suspense keeps building in Volume Two and right through the end of Volume Three. (Volume Two will be released in June. Volume Three, in October.)

The artwork just keeps getting better too. The more brainstorming Chongolio and I do, the wilder our ideas get. It’s exciting to see such a fantastic artist take my text and flesh it out.

Yeah, da pidgin’s not in da book. It’s in ‘regular’ English for everybody. Honestly, I don’t think I got da skillz to talk story dat much in pidgin.

Hawaiian words are in bold print for exactly the reason you mentioned – just to help folks spot them when flipping to the glossary and back.

Aloha,
Tiki Chris

Pages: 1 15 replies