Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

pablus in DC: 3-24

Pages: 1 12 replies

P

ikitnrev?
Anybuddy up for a capitol minicrawl?
I'll be staying downtown for 2 nights and could get out late Friday... but Thursday is wide open.

What's there to see and drink?
Doesn't the White House have a killer underground tiki bar?

Orrrrr did I just dream that?

¡señor!

where you stayin'?

i may be able to stick around couple of hours before commutin' back up to baltimore ~ sadly the only 'tiki' place in dc is politiki, and it's not even a sure bet. maybe other locals might have better suggestions...

you also might wanna post here
http://marylanddctiki.proboards2.com/
it might reach a slightly different (overlapping, but different) audience

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2005-03-16 09:42 ]

P

I'm staying at the Loews L'enfant.
480 L'Enfant Plaza,

I think it's right near the Smithsonian castle.

Looking forward to it, used to spend a lot of time in DC but not since they closed down Trader Vics.

(Not for that reason, just worked out that way.)

Pablus - my condolences...this area is definitely a tiki-free zone! Your best bet at finding anything tiki while in DC is to make a trip to Ikitnerv (Vern's) bar or Sabina’s Lounge of the Seven Pleasures. I think Johnny $ is correct about the Politiki - I'm not sure its even open anymore. Or if you want to make the hour and a half drive up north to MD you’re always invited to the Pi Yi Grotto.

TMF

Poli Tiki is no longer there. I went by last summer to finsh my mug collection and ended up in the Four Father's den planning a tea party. I did find another bar which items belonging to Poli Tiki ended up at, but it was oh to sad. I think that there is still a Kon Tiki, but nothing on the more laid back feel.

P

Hmmm bummer about Politiki.
They still have a website up - but a crappy one.

I'd be up for Sabina's, Vern's, just about anything... I always bring rum and live music.

I'm not opposed to getting over to Alexandria or Georgetown or mmmmaaaayyyyyyybbbeeeee Baltimore.

Hope to hook up with someone or else it's lonely martini's at a piano bar... which still isn't bad. I can always slosh my way through "Blues in the Night."

pablus man, keep us informed it would kick major pirate booty to mett up.

hey, there is some for-real tiki available for you if you have the time. the national museum of natural history, which should be across the national mall from your hotel, on the main floor past the giant elephant, has a pacific cultures section with a real topnetted moai, easter island kava kava men, all sorts of other goodies. if you get out of your meeting(s) early, definitely go check it out if you haven't yet. it closes 5:30 pm.

http://www.mnh.si.edu/museum/VirtualTour/floor.maps.html

I

I will be around, and I'd be glad to mix you a few mai-tais at my place, or to check a few other places (dinner, drinks) out. I'm still not sure of my work schedule next week, so I will have to get back in a few days with an update.

Vern

On 2005-03-16 10:12, pablus wrote:
I'm staying at the Loews L'enfant.
480 L'Enfant Plaza,

I think it's right near the Smithsonian castle.

My condolences ... Stay away from the big trucks across the street. Those guys are nuts, and might mistake you for a DOT employee.

P

Funny you should mention that.
Last time I stayed at the Capitol Hilton, the entire night was spent checking the window after the tremendous BOOMS that occured every 20 minutes as DOT trucks parked and left and re-parked and left again and.. you've obviously gotten the picture already. I'll bring earplugs.

Of course, when I complained the next morning they did nothing to carve anything off of the 240 dollars it cost for the mini-suite.

I

I called Vera's White Sands to see if they are open on weekdays this time of year - nope, only Saturday and Sunday, until it gets warmer.

I'm willing to open my place and tiki bar up this Friday evening, for those who want to make the trip down to Virginia - and especially for those who haven't seen the place yet. Send me a personnel message if you're interested and need directions.

Pablus, I'd be up for getting together Thursday evening for dinner. I'll send you a personal message too.

Vern

P

OK here's the "plan."
I'm flying into Raygun National at 4:30 - taxi to the hotel and dinner with ikitnrev at a location of his choosing to be posted here tonight.

Saturday morning I'm definitely going to check out the Pacific Cultures exhibit. Thanks for the tip on that J$.

Friday night is still in the air depending on when we stop shooting.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2005-03-24 07:11 ]

I

As of now, I'm planning to meet Pablus at his hotel (Loew's L'enfant) at about 6:00/6:30 Thursday evening, and then most likely head to the Peking Gourmet Inn in Falls Church on Leesburg Pike (Rte 7 - just north of Bailey's Crossroads)

The food at this restaurant is excellent, and they also serve great mai-tais and other tiki-themed drinks.

Vern

Pages: 1 12 replies