Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

BigBro question - Whispers On The Wind?

Pages: 1 6 replies

T

Big Bro - are you familiar with a book an the missonaries feelings about polynesian gods & godesses called "Whispers On The Wind" or something to that effect?

Somewhere in the back of my mind....like whispers...on the wind....
But no, can't really pin it down, sounds interesting, you know how I love to quote the classics to put them in a contemporary context.

J
jtiki posted on Wed, Oct 16, 2002 7:28 AM

It takes a great deal of control to battle this spirited and impetuous female.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0515120294/qid=1034774806/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-6723410-3785607?v=glance

eeh - maybe not.

NO! Not that Whispers On The Wind... I was talking with Rolly Crump about the designs of the Tiki Room at Disneyland, and he mentioned it as an inspiration for some of the gods he designed. Supposedly, it was written by missionaries about the early gods they found on the islands....
Any ideas???

There's 'Nomads of the Wind', the BBC documentary about the history of Polynesia; also available in book form.

Not a whole lot of whispering going on there, though.

Trader Woody

T

That's gotta be it! He must have mixed up the title in his mind - he designed this stuff in 1963, so it was a while ago... Thanks!
Now I gotta find the book - it's outta print....

T

On second thought - no, it can't be it. That was published in 1993! This would have been published before the 1960s....

Pages: 1 6 replies