Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

John Figueroa, Carver for tiki in movie "HAWAII"

Pages: 1 6 replies

I just met John today. I took pics of some tikis he still has at his home. He said he carved one 20 footer for the movie back in '61, (who knows where it is). I will be posting images of his work here and on my website soon. I'll also be helping him sell his work, anyone interested will be able to buy directly from him. He carves mostly old style Ku, but does some other things as well, including some very intricately designed walking sticks. I'm lucky I found him, or he found me. Anyway, I bow to this man. I am but a worm.

Here is a 7 ft. Ku that John carved from redwood a long time ago.

Wow. So he carved all the prop Tikis for that movie? Does anybody have stills?
A while back, wasn't there a Ku Tiki from "Hawaii" put up on e-bay repeatedly, for the wishful thinking sum of 50 grand?

Bro, John said he carved only one for the movie. He said there were other carvers working. I'll talk to him more, soon.

For all of you in the East Bay Area, (slim chance), but always be on the lookout for 2 tikis similar to the one posted above. 30 years ago 2 of John's tikis were stolen in the city of Hayward. Ya' never know.

This sounds like a job for the CCTD- Cold Case Tiki Detectives! 8)

"After retiring from the Tiki Task Force, these veterans of Tiki tracing decided there were too many unsolved Tiki-nappings in the archives..."

Should be easy to recognize by the big toes!

Pages: 1 6 replies