Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

First Tiki Central Blind Auction! 1965 Duncan Bowl! 20 Minutes Left!

Pages: 1 25 replies

Anyone want to bid on this? It is a 1965 Duncan Tiki Mug / Bowl that I made. It was painted with a Red Jasper Glaze with Pepper Flakes in it. This will be the only bowl produced in this color because the paint was discontinued. And as always, my mugs are safe to drink from as well as stare at. Starts at $15.00, Just place your bid in a reply. Auction will end on October 25th at 12:00 P.M. Central time. All bids after this time will not be accepted. I will accept money orders or paypal. I would like to know what you think about this. Maybe we can start sharing some of the Tiki stuff among us.

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2002-10-18 13:25 ]

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2002-10-22 12:37 ]

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2002-10-23 09:06 ]

[ Edited by: kokomotikibar&grill on 2002-10-24 12:18 ]

[ Edited by: kokomotikibar&grill on 2002-10-25 10:44 ]

I want to bid. But I am unsure of the rules.
Do we e-mail you directly or post a bid in this thread? Geez, I have always had trouble with that word "silent"
Chongolio

Post it on the thread. People must see what it is up to before they bid. It is the only way to be honest about it. The silent auction is basically just an auction without that fast talking dude.

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2002-10-16 09:59 ]

T

Ok I'm in I'll start the bid at $15.00! :D

Alrighty then,
I Bid 15.50 and I will throw in a tiki decal.

Chongolio

Kokomo!
4 Questions:
Height?
Diameter?

of liquid ounces it will hold?

Glazed or unglazed bottom?

Thanks,
SugarCaddyDaddy

On 2002-10-16 11:06, sugarcaddydaddy wrote:
Kokomo!
4 Questions:
Height?
Diameter?

of liquid ounces it will hold?

Glazed or unglazed bottom?

Thanks,
SugarCaddyDaddy

Height is 4 1/2"
Width is 5"
I would say it would hold close to 20 ounces, not for sure on that, will measure later. No glaze on outer bottom. Reason for this is that when you glaze the bottom, It sticks to the post you set it on to fire it. Then you have a 3 or 4 jagged little beads that you have to file down and then the bottom looks like crap.

Hey Tiki Mug, you got one of these, do you know how much liquid it will hold? Oh and please folks, lets keep the bidding seperated in $.50 intrevals, no bids will be accepted using pennys, dimes and nickles. This seems fair, as ebay does $.50 also.

[ Edited by: Kokomotikibar&grill on 2002-10-16 11:46 ]

T

Well after extensive research in my tikimug lab, I have come to the conclusion that the mug in question does indeed hold 20 onuces... approximately :wink:

THanks TikiMug, and Chongolio, I am going to hold you to the Tiki Decal also if you win.

S

I always thought in a silent auction, an individual puts down the most they are willing to spend on an item. After all "bids" are in he/she who bid the most gets the item for that amount.

So if this is a true silent auction, all bids should not be posted but sent directly to you.

Otherwise, it's pretty much turning Tiki Central into Ebay. With each person bidding 50 cents more than the last.

Thoughts?

On 2002-10-16 13:16, SullTiki wrote:
I always thought in a silent auction, an individual puts down the most they are willing to spend on an item. After all "bids" are in he/she who bid the most gets the item for that amount.

So if this is a true silent auction, all bids should not be posted but sent directly to you.

Otherwise, it's pretty much turning Tiki Central into Ebay. With each person bidding 50 cents more than the last.

Thoughts?

What you're thinking of is called a "blind auction," but I agree with your general sentiments.

Jesus, I know I'm really starting to sound like the Grouch, but this is an idea far worse than spam. Who wants to read a whole bunch of bids? Have a true 'blind auction' by all means, but reading "$15 please","$15.50" blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah until auction ends is utterly painful.

Trader Woody

That is a blind auction. This would not be turning this into ebay because it is centered around our group, not the world. I am just offering my best mugs to you first. If you want to wait until 11:59 on October 25th to put in a bid that is fine. Everyone can wait. Doesn't matter if it sells for 15 or 25, I am offering it to our group because it is definitly one of the best looking glazes I have seen. I could sell it on ebay as easy as I could sell it here. I just thought I would try something. If everyone would rather put in a private bid on it, let me know and we will see what we can do. I am easy to please. Let me know.

OK FOLKS, BLIND AUCTION IT IS! Please send your bid to me privately. I will anounce the winner on October 25th after 12:00 PM.

Thanks Kokomo.

The idea of a blind auction for Tiki Centralites isn't a bad one, as long as the whole bid process doesn't get acted out in Tiki Central.

Perhaps Hanford ought to have a look at this and develop a few ground rules.

In a way it's a decent, sociable way of offering items to Tiki Central rather throwing stuff to the wolves on eBay, but just having bids as posts isn't a great read, so that side of it should be nipped in the bud.

Trader Woody

I have looked at this, i think it's fine, except for one ground rule I'm adding now:

1. Hanford Lemoore gets 10% of the final price.

Please share your comments.

(just kidding everyone!)

Hanford

OK folks, I am taking bids now. You can PM me or email me at [email protected] thanks.

Bump!

T

Kokomo

Trustar bids $25.00

Trustar

OK Trustar! Thanks, but would you do me a favor and send me your bid by private message or email. I will be posting all bids on Friday and announcing the winner.

3 Days left to get in the bids if anyone is intrested. Just bumping this up.

2 Days Left. BUMP UP!

1 day left. Get the bids in.

20 Minutes Left if anyone is intrested.

Winner is Trustar @ $25.00

Thanks to all who bid.

Pages: 1 25 replies