Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Leloi Lounge - Ceiling Finished 3/23

Pages: 1 22 replies

B

After reading SoBeTiki's post about his roll of corrugated Tapa, I thought it would be a perfect cheap, non-permanent(we rent) solution for the ceiling on our sun porch. I had painted it beige/khaki with some leftover paint last summer, so it made a good base coat for a faux finish. My first step was to paint the molding with some brown latex, using the brush strokes to simulate wood grain. I wanted to use a 2' wide border with the Tapa, and leave the center section open. After marking out the center, I rolled on a coat of the same brown latex, 70/30 mix with water to thin it down a bit. I took a simple window squeegee and cut a series of notches into it.

Using the squeegee I first ran it over the wet paint horizontally, wiping the blade after each pass. Once that was done I ran it vertically. The paint is pretty forgiving so you can kind of touch up areas where too much paint remains, making the lines a little prominent.

After letting it dry I went ahead and stapled up the Tapa. Now here's my tip of the day: Use a permanent marker in the appropriate shade on the back of the staples before you load them into the gun.

This weekend I plan on hiding the inside edges of the Tapa with some stained 1"x2" Molding. After I get the 1x2s up, I'm going to use split bamboo to form a grid in the center section. I had planned on running more 1"x2" all the way around the outside edge, but the Tapa blends in pretty well with the existing molding, and the 1/2" staples seem sufficient enough to hold it up.
Notice my lovely view of snow & icicles. Spring can't come soon enough!

[ Edited by: badmojo 2006-03-07 19:51 ]

That looks incredible. I can't believe how cool the paint looks, it looks just like burlap! Now you have the gears in my head moving...

Looks real nice

B

Nice step by step badmojo. That looks like a pro job to me. Very well done.

D

wow, that squeegie/paint technique looks like grasscloth! very nice, indeed!!

nice job! I think I'd be fooled if you didn't share the secret technique!

Very impressive and creative. THanks for the "how to" too.

HK

Fantastic job! Thanks for sharing.

Josh

D

Looking good badmojo, very clever and thanks for the how to's.

B

Ceiling is DONE! On Sunday I stained and installed the 1"x2"s & split bamboo. While I was at I went ahead and did some pretty simple carving on some 1"x3"s to cover the door casings. Seeing as I still had about 8' of the tapa, I installed it under the window ledge with some grass beach mats, hiding the egdes with 2" split bamboo. I still can't get over what a difference it makes. Considering I had the bamboo, paint & stain, the whole project came in at just under $40. Now all that's left is to try and find a local source for some inexpensive bamboo/reed fencing to cover the white vinyl siding.

These two idiots use the porch more than anyone.

Looks great! Thanks for posting the tips and pics.

Looks fantastic mojo!

Lookin' real good!

HA! I just saw the strategically placed BOT!! I can't believe your idiots leave that netting alone, mine would all be wrapped up in it in the middle of the floor, grinning like...well, idiots.

V

Really nice. I love the cranes in the net.

good job

Looks great! After going through my own ordeal with ceiling treatments I can appreciate all the hard work you put into it! There's something about working with your hands above your head for long periods of time that is just exhausting! Nice job!

B

On 2005-03-23 11:03, purple jade wrote:
HA! I just saw the strategically placed BOT!!

Only untill I finished my new side table.
I stained this old wooden crate and built a simple top for it. Then I took this set of computer speakers and ran the cord out the back of the crate. I drilled a hole in the back of the cigar box for the cord from my old portable cd player. All I have to do is flip open the cigar box and hit play. I have a "Jungle Sounds" CD in there right now, and the drums sound great with subwoofer.

[ Edited by: badmojo on 2005-03-23 13:35 ]

M

Pretty damn cool, my friend. Pretty damn cool.

Are you building another one to house the Scent Stories player?

After going through my own ordeal with ceiling treatments I can appreciate all the hard work you put into it!

I still have nightmares of my brother and I holding up sheetrock while my father yells at us to hold still. Man, he wasn't quick with a hammer.

Your ceiling looks awesome, bmojo.

B

Wow, you can come on over to my house now. I'll put you up for awhile while you fix my place. Excellent and I love the paint job.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Mar 7, 2006 6:36 PM

Looking cool. Very sweet

H

Looks great! I've managed to piss off a few landlords in the past w/ some of my home modifications but your landlord must be proud.

You seem to be handy with the paintbrush---try a faux bamboo paintjob on some wood molding. I did it to some 1" quarter round molding to trim out my ceiling/walls--looks great!

H

Looks great! I've managed to piss off a few landlords in the past w/ some of my home modifications but your landlord must be proud.

You seem to be handy with the paintbrush---try a faux bamboo paintjob on some wood molding. I did it to some 1" quarter round molding to trim out my ceiling/walls--looks great!

Pages: 1 22 replies