Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

KoKo INN, Lubbock TX. Unkle John's B-Day Sept. 10-11

Pages: 1 3 replies

LIVE: AT THE KOKO INN!

This year in honor of my 30th year (or 3rd decade) of life on this beautiful blue marble, I'm having a big bash and everyone is invited.
When is it? September 10 & 11 (11th being my birthday).
Where in the world will it be? Well the KoKo Inn in Lubbock, TX.
I have personally been there to check the place of any influences it has that would be suitable for the party. I'm even in talks with management with possibly "improving" the hotel for a permanent Tiki installation. The only draw back is Texas Tech will be playing at home that weekend, so rooms may fill up sooner than usual.

Here's what they have to offer:

• Lounge & Game Room
  • 19" Color TV's w/remote
  • Complete Cable
  • Free HBO
  • No Charge for Local Calls or Credit Card Calls
  • Data Port Phones w/volume control
  • Full Service Restaurant on site
  • Free Morning Coffee
  • Free Shuttle Service to and from the Airport
  • Fax and Copy Service Available
  • Banquet Facilities
  • Catering Available

Rates:

• KINGS: $45 TO $85 + TAX
  • DOUBLES: $47 TO $85 + TAX
  • STUDIOS: $65 TO $100 + TAX
  • For Reservations Please Contact The KoKo Inn At:
    Phone: 806 747 2591 or toll-free at 800 782 3254
    Fax: 806 747 2591

We are also having Limited Edition commemorative Tiki mugs made for the occasion. Possibly only 72 will available at $10 each. The price includes shipping and handling. Plus we may even throw in a few party favors with it! I am not making a single profit off of these mugs, they are my gift to you. But you must pre order by June 2005. You don't even have to attend if you want one. Mug design subject to change. http://www.unklejohn.com/mugoffer.htm
If this party goes well, we may shuttle the date for next year. As I said above, I'm wanting this date because of my 30th birthday being on that day. Hopefully this yearly party will be a good chance for Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and surrounding states to come and have a good time in the glow of ohana.
We really don't have any activities planned, but if any attendees want to bring art, mugs, and items to sell or trade, or possibly a silent auction. We would appreciate it. We could try to set something up with the hotel to rent us a room for a day. Any Tiki items or retro-kitch-mod items are more than welcome! There are also great thrift stores around here and many fascinating places to visit (though not Tiki related), but the buildings and homes are well enough to keep a modern design lover happy! Plus for you people who drive down (or have the extra cash to have it shipped back home) there is a store in town called: Rattan & Wicker Specialties (Accessories, Rattan, Wicker Furniture, Bamboo-Wholesale Home Accessories & Furnishings Furniture Store). If this goes well and with enough people to continue it, we would love to have it every year. The KoKo Inn is an untapped and unknown piece of Tiki history, it's family owned and operated so we know that our needs will be met. Lets show them they need to keep it that way. You can view pictures of the KoKo Inn here: http://www.lubbockhospitality.net/Koko/ The rooms look very nice! I'm also gearing up to propose the lounge be more Tiki. It's kinda too honky-tonk for the intended use. I think if I can persuade them that it will bring in a higher class people and entertainment (not saying that it's currently trashy, but you know what I mean), they may go for it.

I am open to suggestions and questions about the party, hotel, or anything. You can post here or PM me your RSVP. I have to get back to the hotel GM soon and I need to give her an estimate of how many people are going to come and stay. BTW I'm not asking for gifts, so don't feel obligated that you have to find something for me. Your presence will be the gift that I would like.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:20 ]

UJ

Thanks Fil! 5 months early, but who cares :) The best wishes are from the ones who care.

This event has been cancelled due to lack of money and hotel getting booked up for football season. Tiki mug offer has changed and only have half a dozen left, if anyone is interested. PM me if you still want to place an order.

Maybe next year I'll have the party at the newly re-opened TV in Dallas. Who Knows.

http://www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2005-08-14 09:18 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies