Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Space Rock

Pages: 1 22 replies

On another message board I frequent (Sound Opinions, a Chicago-based music board & radio talk show) I'm putting together a Space Rock Box set, tenetively titles The Utopia Device. I'm not getting as much support & suggestions as other box sets are ('80s Metal Box, for example), so I'm looking for help elsewhere to collect songs for the tracklisting. Some of the tracks I've ripped or collected from the web are:

• Hawkwind- "Earth Calling/Born to Go," "Brainstorm,""Sonic Attack," "Silver Machine," "The Psychedelic Warlords (Disapear in Smoke)," "Uncle Sam's on Mars"
  • David Bowie- "Space Oddity," "The Man who Sold the World," "TVC-15"
  • Blue Oyster Cult- "Black Blade," "Godzilla,""Astronomy"
  • Ayreon- "The Dream Sequencer" & "2084"
  • Acid Mothers Temple- "Psycho Buddah" & "Pork Bombs in Aztec"
  • Helios Creed- "Cruising the H" & "Space Sexy," maybe "Isolation Tank"?
  • Heldon- "Ubik," maybe "Mutant Monkey" or "Only Chaos is Real"

Among the songs or bands I'd like but can't find:

• Pink Floyd- "Astronomy Domine," "Interstellar Overdrive," "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"
  • Spacemen 3
  • Spectrum
  • Spritualized
  • EAR
  • Warlocks
  • Darkside
  • Flying Saucer Attack
  • BOC- "Great Sun Jester"
  • Rush- "Cygnus X-1"

I'd appreciate any help in tracking down copies of these for free or very cheap.

Also, if anyone's interested, there's been (maybe half joking) interest in an Exotica/Lounge Box. If anyone wants to go to the Sound Opinions forums & put themselves forward as the editor of this box set I'd bet they'd get it.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-03-21 11:38 ]

I'm not clear on this: Are you looking to license these artists' songs to sell as part of a box set? Wouldn't you just contact the record label for that?

No, not a licencing deal, I'm not selling this & I'm not running off a ton of copies. I'm probably burning 3 or 4 copies for friends, if even that many. Space Rock as a genre isn't as popular as, say, Shoegazer, IDB or Micro House.

Hey Freddie,

Here are some more songs for you. Also, I might be able to help you get a few of the songs you are looking for...PM me and I will see what I can do...

the Pixies - Space (I believe in), Planet of Sound
The Ventures - Telstar, Sputnik, Moon Child, Journey to the Stars
David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes
Billy Thorpe - Children of the Sun
Elton John - Rocket Man
Rush - 2112 (side one), Countdown, Cygnus X-1; Book II: Hemispheres
Deep Purple - Space Truckin' and Contact Lost
Peter Schilling - Major Tom (Coming Home)
Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine (I know you list this, but it was also covered by Voivod), Brain Damage/Eclipse
Smashmouth - Walking on the Sun
Steve Vai – Little Green Men
Man…Or Astroman? – Way too many songs to list
Blue Oyster Cult – Workshop of Telescopes, E.T.I, The Great Sun Jester, Moon Crazy, The Vigil, Monsters, Veteran of the Psychic Wars, Heavy Metal: The Black and the Silver, Take Me Away
Steve Miller Band – Space Cowboy
Styx – Come Sail Away

Oh and the BOC song, “Black Blade” is about Stormbringer, an evil sword that steals souls, made famous in the Michael Moorcock (unfortunate name) series about Elric of Melnibone. Another interesting side note is, Lemmy, formally of Hawkwind (now of course with Motorhead) said that Moorcook used to come out and read poetry before Hawkwind shows, which makes sense since Hawkwind was another one of his characters…

not rock, but firmly within the genre:

"the terrible secret of space" by the laziest men on mars

The B52s
Planet Claire
Channel Z

K
Kono posted on Mon, Mar 21, 2005 3:38 PM

Are you looking for songs that are about space in any genre or are you looking for space psych rock drone type stuff in particular. Because I have a decent amount of the latter. I have a lot of weirdness in my record collection. Unfortunately, most is on vinyl so it would be a slow process recording them but I do have some stuff on CD which I could rip as an mp3 fairly quick. PM me with your email if you want me to send you some. Guided By Voices has a killer "Major Tom" type song that you should include.

On 2005-03-21 11:35, freddiefreelance wrote:

• Pink Floyd- "Astronomy Domine," "Interstellar Overdrive," "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"
  • Spacemen 3
  • Spectrum
  • Spritualized
  • EAR
  • Warlocks
  • Darkside
  • Flying Saucer Attack
  • BOC- "Great Sun Jester"
  • Rush- "Cygnus X-1"

HA!

that reads like an inventory list of my wifes' record collection... she has everything except BOC, Warlocks & Darkside. PM me with a list of the songs your looking for. I, of course, wouldn't dream of violating copyright laws, but she might :wink:

Also worth checking out:

Extascy of St. Teresa
Can
NEU!
Amon Duul
Harmonia
Sun Ra

A great resource is the book Krautrocksampler by Julian Cope.

let me know what you need.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2005-03-21 16:46 ]

FZ~
You scare me on a daily basis...are we related?

On 2005-03-21 17:49, purple jade wrote:
are we related?

Maybe.

S

Here's a few that cross my mind

Monster Magnet- Space Lord
-Look To Your Orb For The Warning
Smashing Pumpkins- Rocket

• Spaceboy
    Beastie Boys- Intergallactic
    The Stranglers- Get a Grip
    Jimi Hendrix- EXP
    -Third Stone From the Sun

Seamus you made me recall another one, Monster Magnet - Ego, the Living Planet...like the one from Marvel Comics...

I

Several years ago, I put together a CD of some space-sounding music, for a filmmaker who was doing a documentary about space and astronomy. She knew of songs like 'Fly Me to the Moon,' but was looking for something different, so I sent her the following music. I wanted an emphasis on ambient/moog, (emptiness, music to watch planets float by), rather than rocking songs with space themes

Here is the track listing....

• Ames Brothers - 'Destination Moon' LP (late 50's)
    ..... Destination Moon
    ..... East of the Sun
    ..... Count Every Star
  • Dick Hyman & Mary Mayo (Moon Gas LP)
    ..... Moon Gas
    ..... Maid of the Moon
    ..... Space Reflex
    ..... They Can't Take That Away From Me
    ..... In Between Nowhere
  • Paul Hasinger
    ..... In Between Nowhere
  • Air (Moon Safari)
    ..... Talsiman
    ..... New Star in the Sky
  • Raymond Scott (Manhattan Research )
    ..... Baltimore Gas and Electric
    ..... Sprite: Melonball Bounce
    ..... Portfonio #1
    ..... Lightworks (both versions)
  • Perry and Kingsley
    ..... Carousel of the Planets
    ..... Cosmic Ballad
    ..... The Little Man from Mars
    ..... Swan's Splashdown
    ..... The Unidentified Flying Object
  • Tipsy (Trip Tease)
    ..... Oops!
    ..... Nude on the Moon
    ..... Space Golf
  • Ames Brothers (Destination Moon LP )
    ..... No Moon At All
    ..... Music From Out of Space

I thought the CD turned out well - I still listen to it often.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev on 2005-03-22 02:02 ]

On 2005-03-21 15:38, Kono wrote:
Are you looking for songs that are about space in any genre or are you looking for space psych rock drone type stuff in particular. Because I have a decent amount of the latter. I have a lot of weirdness in my record collection. Unfortunately, most is on vinyl so it would be a slow process recording them but I do have some stuff on CD which I could rip as an mp3 fairly quick. PM me with your email if you want me to send you some. Guided By Voices has a killer "Major Tom" type song that you should include.

Kono, I'm looking more for the Psych/Prog/Post Rock Drone-type stuff, but I'm thinking of doing a separate auxilliary disk of Space-themed songs from Classic Rock & other genres. I'd love whatever you can get me, I'm sending you a PM momentarily.

On 2005-03-21 13:24, Cool Manchu wrote:
Oh and the BOC song, “Black Blade” is about Stormbringer, an evil sword that steals souls, made famous in the Michael Moorcock (unfortunate name) series about Elric of Melnibone. Another interesting side note is, Lemmy, formally of Hawkwind (now of course with Motorhead) said that Moorcook used to come out and read poetry before Hawkwind shows, which makes sense since Hawkwind was another one of his characters…

Manchu, the connections are even deeper than that: "Black Blade"'s lyrics were written by Michael Moorcock himself, he also wrote "Veterans of the Psychic Wars" & "The Great Sun Jester", and he has appeared with BOC on several occasions to sing these! Plus, not only did Michael Moorcock appear at HW shows to read poetry, he was one of their early lyricists ("Sonic Attack," "The Black Corridor," most of the "Chronicle of the Black Sword" album) & occasionally would appear with the band as vocalist. He also used a number of Hawkwind members in his band the Deep Fix.

I'm sending you a PM momentarily.

On 2005-03-21 16:42, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
HA!

that reads like an inventory list of my wifes' record collection... she has everything except BOC, Warlocks & Darkside. PM me with a list of the songs your looking for. I, of course, wouldn't dream of violating copyright laws, but she might :wink:

Also worth checking out:

Extascy of St. Teresa
Can
NEU!
Amon Duul
Harmonia
Sun Ra

A great resource is the book Krautrocksampler by Julian Cope.

let me know what you need.

I was trying to stay away from straight Krautrock, but I've been looking for songs from Can's "Monster Movies" album and music from the German Kozmic Rock or Kosmische Musik bands that have more space-themed lyrics or more of the Psych-drone sound. I'm thinking of maybe making a separate disk for the Krautrock and Space Jazz stuff like Sun Ra & Vern's CD sampler. They don't nescisarily go together, but they don't go with the Psych/Prog Rock or newer Space Drone, either.

I'd be appreciative of any music you could help with, espescially the newer bands like EAR & Spaceman 3. I'll be PMing you soon.

Freddie,

Thank you for imparting your knowledge on this...If I had known that you know far more than me, I would have kept my mouth shut...:wink:

On 2005-03-21 13:36, Johnny Dollar wrote:

J$, I'll take a listen tonight, no matter how tight I try to pull the genre description in there's just too much cool stuff out there to listen to...

On 2005-03-22 10:05, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2005-03-21 13:36, Johnny Dollar wrote:

J$, I'll take a listen tonight, no matter how tight I try to pull the genre description in there's just too much cool stuff out there to listen to...

seems like that link is for a remix; i got the original off of mp3.com but it's not there anymore :( this is by the same group that made "all your base are belong to us."

MT

How about Powerman 5000's "Look To The Sky" - more loungy than their harder edged stuff.

B-52's "There's A Moon In The Sky (It's Called The Moon!)

A couple people here have mentioned Monster Magnet - they did a great cover of Black Sabbath's "Into The Void", but it would be much more hard edged than what you want for this collection - but would definitely work well with your classic rock line-up idea.

Yeah, you have to get some Man Or AstroMan? stuff on there, without a doubt. :drink:

http://www.aquariusrecords.org

do a search on Space Rock!

Aquarius is my favorite record store ever. I can't say enough nice things about the folks that work there, their dedication to sourcing indie music, and their general niceness and lack of 'record store clerk' pretensions, ("you're still listening to THAT?") They have lots of mp3's on their site, which you probably can't use for your purpose, but you will surely find a nugget or 2 you'll eventually feel compelled to buy, and they do mail order! Support them, they are what's right and good about indie music!
mrs. pineapple

Space Junk - DEVO
Fly Me To The Moon - Frank Sanatra
Moonchild - King Crimson
Life On Mars - Barbra Streisand
Flying Saucer Attack - The Rezzillos
Starship - MC5
Big Eyed Beans from Venus - Capt. Beefheart
Moonraker - Shirley Bassey
Satellite of Love - Lou Reed
Mr. Spaceman - the Byrds

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2005-03-25 17:14 ]

Low LiFi - Launch Patterns for the Space Age Girl.mp3

Here's a jazzy little number I found while looking for some spacey Helios Creed (of all things), it doesn't exactly go with the space Rock theme, but I think I might make a separate disk of Space Jazz/Kosmische Muzic/Classically-based Space Muzic.

Pages: 1 22 replies