Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Who's da Big Kahuna?

Pages: 1 18 replies

Aloha kanes and wahines!
I just finished up this big sign for a client in Hawaii and thought I'd show it to you. It is for some new tiki bar in Waikiki. I just sprayed the sealer coat on it and we are shipping it tomorrow. I know UPS will cost a lot, but the client is willing to pay for it. The post office won't take anything this big - it is six and a half feet long by two and a half feet high and it is heavy, solid redwood. I haven't weighed it yet. Any other ideas on how to ship it that might be cheaper than UPS?
Mahalo

M

Sweet work! Nice lines and theme. I know alot of work went into it as well! Mahalo Bruddah!! You are the big Kahuna!

Wow that looks awesome,nice design

FANTASTIC!

YOU da Big Kahuna!
Fabtastic!

I love your signs, my friend! You always do such a great job.

If they're willing to pay why not just do UPS?

Your signs never fail to make me drool all over.

-Z

Step 1. Research
Step 2. Build Matter Transporter
Step 3. Ship

Big! Pretty!

J

Wow! I'm always blown away by how great your works looks... one of these day I hope to own a Pariarts original!

Damn Paul!!! Ive said it before and I will say it again. Your work kicks ass!!!!

Terrific sign.

We get compliments on ours from every visitor to our home.

Thats a monster

Hire me! I'll take it over there for you..hehehe :wink:

bax global for when brown is just that--a turd.

tikieames

B

Another Great one, Excellent sign.
Shipping can be done thru Trucking companies pretty easily. Just crate it and take it to their facility. Another possibility is "Go Greyhound" I shipped a dolphin coffee table by greyhound once. The glass top was a 6 foot by 3/4 inch oval and weighe in at 250 pounds in the crate and the dolphin was also 6 ft and weighed the same. Put it right on the bus.

Does Greyhoud go from California to Hawaii? I suppose that would be cheaper than flying. :)

Aloha all,
Thanks for all the nice comments. We're heading out to UPS in a few minutes. The client is okay with economy shipping because he says they are still waiting for other work to be done on the place, so no rush. I looked into flying over and taking it on the plane with me, but the airlines won't take anything that big! Too bad, I almost got a free trip to Honalulu!! Oh well.

I love your signs guys. Hey, don't the take surfboards on airlines?

pariartspaul, you missed your chance to build a balsa wood raft and sail it over yourself! :)

beautiful work ~ hey do you have the address of the new locale? it should be entered into "locating tiki" so the TC ohana can experience / inform!

mahalo,

Da Big Kahuna bar is going to be somewhere in the Coral Reef Hotel on Kuhio Ave in Honolulu. They are still working on it - I don't know when it will open.

Shipping update - We brought the sign over to UPS day before yesterday and they weighed it (52 lbs) and quoted us $456 to ship and another $85 to pack it. I told them they were crazy. So they said they could just wrap it in cardboard to get the size down, but they couldn’t insure it and it would cost $240 to ship plus the $85 to pack it. I walked out.

I called Hawaiian Airlines and explained and they put me in touch with a freight company here in Sacramento who gave me a quote of only $85.40 for the shipping with $1000 insurance - believe it or not. They put me in touch with their professional packers who will pack it in Styrofoam and heavy cardboard plus deliver it to the shipping company for $139.55.

Well,I'm amazed!I love the tiki mug with the sly grin-you did a wonderful job on that sign!It never fails to floor me how many extremely creative people are TC members.It would be terrific if it all could be put into a book-just superior craftsmanship.

Pages: 1 18 replies