Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Book of Tiki at Old Navy

Pages: 1 35 replies

D

At the check out at Old Navy the Book of Tiki is there in mini form. They are also send a gift card box set which contains 4 different cards (12 cards total). They seem to be getting there share of Taschen stuff cause they also have a Surfing notebook.
Oh I was at Party Central party store and they were sticking out there summer stuff and they have those Hula Monkees that looked like they are carved from coconuts.

Wow, cool, that will be the "censored" version! Gotta check it out, have not seen it yet.
Quiz: WHERE in comparison to the first "Tiki Style" Icon book have the images been supplemented?

Monday night when my wife told me she had gone to Old Navy and had seen this tiki book they were selling...she said she flipped through it and it looked a lot like BOT...I wonder why? I was still pissed that she didn't buy it for me!

I just picked one up on my lunch break for the kids. They get excited about my BOT -- so much so that my daughter dropped it the other night and partly ripped the cover off. The fact that it was kind of beat up already from having exchanged hands 1000+ times didn't help it stay together.

At $7.50 for the Icons book, they can rip it and I'll just go out and get another one.

BTW Sven, Christian won't let me touch the one you signed and gave to him...

On 2005-03-23 12:25, PolynesianPop wrote:

BTW Sven, Christian won't let me touch the one you signed and gave to him...

Well that's understandable, look what you DO to a perfectly fine book!!! :lol:

BTW, I think it is time that Poly Pop shares some of the pages of his unique BOT here on TC, for the outlanders....how about posting some of the best !?

On 2005-03-23 12:40, bigbrotiki wrote:

BTW, I think it is time that Poly Pop shares some of the pages of his unique BOT here on TC, for the outlanders....how about posting some of the best !?

You know what, thats a good idea! I'll scan some pages and post when I get a chance -- there's some good stuff there.

I am proud to announce that I now have earned the true mark of distinction for an author, I officially have become censored!

I was aware that because the tough conditions that The Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic puts in their vendor qualification rules, all frontal nudity had to be replaced for the Old Navy Tiki Icon version (QUIZ: Which !?), but now that I have a copy I find that one section of text has also been cut:

In "Tiki who was he?", the 3rd, (phallic) definition, with offending words like "penis" (Yuk!) and clitoris (te-he, snicker) has been completely omitted and replaced by definition Nr. 4, god of the artists. No hanky panky for Old Navy!

It is only fair then that, for the loss of boobage and smut words, you have to pay 2.50 less than the normal version....(but you get 6 never before published images! (Quiz: Which?))

The four greeting card motifs come in a very cool orange flower patterned cardboard box with velcro latch (5.- bucks for 12 cards and envelopes). Not a bad product, wish it would be more widely available than only Old Navy stores.

TM

Congrats Sven! Though I don't think that anything or anyone should ever be fucking censored, the world of tiki will now be opened to many more unsuspecting future TCers. I'll run down this weekend to pick up a copy, as well as some cargo pants and maybe a button up plaid shirt. I'm serious!

TM

oops, hit the submit twice...

[ Edited by: Tiki Matt on 2005-03-23 19:25 ]

D

BOT at Old Navy? What's next...Mai Tais at Bennigan's?

Just to clear up the slightly misleading headline of this post:

We are talking about the CONDENSED version of the BOT here, the 5x8 inch, 192 page "TIKI STYLE", and it's Old Navy imprint of the same title, but with a slightly different cover, and censored interior (both of which I have described in previous posts on this board).

Ha, I had an inspiration!:

To balance out the loss of primeval mana caused by corporate paranoia in the Old Navy Tiki Icon version, I herewith offer to personally sign every copy brought to me (like at Tiki Taix, or the Tiki Ti) with my infamous quote "Tiki=Dicki" (the Tiki equivalent to E=mc2), AND ad a set of boobies next to it, restoring with my own hand what has been taken!

thinking out load,WHY would anyone buy something that has been censored? and how could a author let that happen? TD

On 2005-03-24 15:08, TIKI DAVID wrote:
thinking out load,WHY would anyone buy something that has been censored? and how could a author let that happen? TD

:lol: ???????????! :roll:

T

So did they leave in the pages and just cover the nipples with the words OLD NAVY. My dad thinks the reason that I like tiki is for the girls in the BOT.

TeaKey, how old are you? Father knows best, you know. And I am sure he is speaking from experience.
I wish they had used Old Navy black bars, that would've been funnier. The images were simply replaced, not altered.

I was thinking about what TikiDavid was thinking out loud, and...

Yes, I hang my head in shame, just like for other censored American auteurs like James Joyce, Henry Miller or Lenny Bruce, this will be the death stab to my career.
It's all over, Baby Blue...Sigh, it was nice while it lasted.

PI

Bought some of the note cards yesterday. They're really nice. Our Old Navy didn't have the mini-BOT though.

We love our Tiki Style book especially since we got it from Big Bro in Daytona hot off the press. THANKS!!!!It is not the BOT, but it introduces the rest of the world to vintage --- and hopefully people will think twice before destroying these fine landmarks. The ones that are left anyway! That is pretty funny about the censorship! I guess bare breasts just wouldn't fly at Old Navy! Ha-Ha!

I was finally able to get a copy today. Neptune Wahine is right, censored or not it does bring more light to tiki landmarks and just maybe someone will think twice before another one disappears.

Thank you guys for your support, I appreciate it, really. I agree with you. The Navy Icon will get the word out to people who would not hear/see it otherwise. Allow me to clarify one thing for those here that are concerned:

I am not seriously outraged that the Tiki Icon was "censored". I actually think it is tres cool. I am merrily playing with the clichee of "Censorship", just like with other "serious" terms in the BOT. I think the whole thing is truly hilarious, yet another funny twist in the neverending pop entertainment offered by Tiki, god of the artists.

These days, there are issues of impending censorship out there that are much more real and serious than what happend to this lil' tome. It is but a drop in the bucket of media control, a silly little sidenote in history.

Those of us here that love irony and artifice may enjoy buying a copy of this "Tiki Icon- The CENSORED version" purely for those reasons, as an ironic joke, but I am not seriously enticing anybody to get it, I sure am not making a dime on it.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-03-27 14:03 ]

Sven,

don't you know that boobs (or more correctly, images of boobs) are the single reason for the downfall of western civilization? Just think how great life would be if everything was censored: no war, no violence, no crime, no single mothers, no impure thoughts. Enron would still be a great place to work. Martha never would have gone to jail. Little Timmy never would have dropped out of school and the homeless would be yachting in South Beach.

ahhh... one can dream...

I'm off to burn my Beatle records

-Z

T

Zombie, what are you talking about. I couldn't read your actually message cause it was censored from my computer. Zombie your in the record business, what are your views of burning CDs.

T

Book of Tiki=war Tiki Style=no war. I'm a peace loving man but let there be war.

DZ

The Tiki Style/BOT got a mention in DebL's "Barfly" column of this weeks South Bay Easy Reader:

Gap-uritan VS Abercrombie & Filth:
"Taschen is publishing two scaled-down versions of its classic “The Book Of Tiki,” by Sven Kirsten, one available at bookstores, the other, an edited version, at Old Navy - the Gap-owned chain removed all images of full-frontal nudity. By contrast, Abercrombie & Fitch is said to have turned down the book because there wasn’t enough nudity. Makes me change where I want to shop Sarah Jessica Pilgrim..."

I don't quite get the way she signs off (Does she like it edited or no?), but is this true about A&F?

Regardless, I'm excited to see the BOT in my local Thursday freebie paper (even if it is in the column usually reserved for info about what's happening at all the bars in the area over the weekend).

I was in the Gap today (remember the good ol' days when the Gap was 100% BLUE? anyway...) and I saw a little kids' size 4T Aloha Shirt for sale. the print was the same as page 68 in BOT (or page 69 in Old Tiki Navy Style) and was discussed Here as the answer to Sven's trivia question. Seems that they're getting as much mileage out of the BOT as they can.

I'm gonna get the shirt for my nephew for his birthday, but I sure wish they had an adult size too!

-Z

Here's the above mentioned shirt:

Detail:

does it look familiar?

-Z

Wow, that is so cool! With the Tahitian Cannibal Carvings right on the front! And they don't make it in XL !!? Arrgh!

You know, I can not claim BOT origin on this alone, the Beachcomber menu is a fairly common paper ephemera item. I usually have to find two or more images from the book merchandised by the same source, (ideally one of them NOT available anywhere else but in the book), THEN I can say ha ha, send me some.

On 2005-04-25 00:14, bigbrotiki wrote:
I usually have to find two or more images from the book merchandised by the same source...

But The Gap & Old Navy are the same company... and wasn't this image used in the note card set? or am I drunk and confused?

My point is, it just makes sense that their designers/buyers have access to the BOT because they sell it. That said, I say we start a campaign to get adult sizes.

-Z

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2005-04-25 07:33 ]

I was in an Old Navy store on the Santa Monica Promenade yesterday and got the last copy of "Tiki Style" they had. I couldn't believe my good fortune. They had many copies of another Icon book called, "Seaside Style" or something like that, but the Tiki book was all gone.

On 2005-04-25 07:27, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

...and wasn't this image used in the note card set? or am I drunk and confused?

Fraid so, because it wasn't. But it is not really bad to be drunk and confused on TC.

That said, I say we start a campaign to get adult sizes.

Why would they give us adult sizes if they deny us adult imagery !? :lol:

A
Ala77 posted on Fri, Apr 29, 2005 8:28 PM

Hello all, this is my fist time posting on the Tiki Central Forum. I have however been a huge fan of this site since I stumbled a crossed it about a year ago. I was just at Old Navy today and found the package of note cards and wanted to make you guys aware of it, but you guys are quicker then me. My husband and I freaked the cashier out with our enthusiasm to buy the cards. Explaining that our first date was as the Kahiki pictured on the back of the box (I’m originally from Ohio now living in Massachusetts) She didn’t really share in our excitement. I was unaware there was also a book, looks like I’ll be dragging my husband to every Old Navy in the Boston area tomorrow.

S

Don't walk, run! I just got to Old Navy and the Tiki Style book is clearanced at $2.99 and the note cards are $1.99. I cleaned them out. 4 books, 3 cards. I am going to check the other Old Navy when I can.

PI

Yeah, don't try the I-Drive Old Navy in Orlando because I cleared them out earlier in the week :wink:

On 2005-03-24 14:19, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ha, I had an inspiration!:

To balance out the loss of primeval mana caused by corporate paranoia in the Old Navy Tiki Icon version, I herewith offer to personally sign every copy brought to me (like at Tiki Taix, or the Tiki Ti) with my infamous quote "Tiki=Dicki" (the Tiki equivalent to E=mc2), AND ad a set of boobies next to it, restoring with my own hand what has been taken!

Sven, if I ever see you again I'm holding you to that promise! I got a Tiki Style book for Christmas and I happens to be the "censored" Old Navy version so I dug around and found this thread. Oh, the power of the "Search" feature :D

Ha, thanks for reminding me of that little episode, now a funny blip on the Tiki revival screen. :lol:

While I was in Oahu in March I hit up a few thrift stores and I found this sealed pack of these notecards.

I thought I would search on here to figure out what year they were made.

I totally forgot I had found them until just now.

Interesting thing to find sealed in Hawaii :)

Pages: 1 35 replies