Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mai Tai workout??

Pages: 1 8 replies

Ugly topic, I know...but - besides the obvious ("16-oz. Tiki-Mug Curls", walking the last 200+ yards down Sunset to Tiki-Ti, etc.) - what's everybody "like" to do for exercise? I don't know about everybody else, but when I hit 45, the tiki-gods turned my metabolism switch to the "OFF" (or, very, very "slow") position, and I have to watch what I eat and drink all of the time, or I'll end up as "PapeToaTonage". I try to balance things by getting as much exerecise that my schedule will allow. Anybody else cursed with this problem? Anybody else care?

Is it just me, or, when you excercise, do you ever keep in mind how many extra Mai Tais you can consume at your next bar sitting? (What better reason is there to work out??) I can tell you from experience that NOT eating before many rum drinks is not good! How does everybody balance the 400+ calories in a Mai Tai (including the pineapple and cherry!!) - or the nearly 2,000 in a night of fun? Heck, I have it down to a science now. I even know how long to set the treadmill for for the extra planned Mai Tai that evening. (By the way, it's a setting of only 8.5 hours on the treadmill if a Bahooka run for pu-pu's, Mai Tais and ribs is planned!!

I like:

Hiking (merry-go-round to top of Mt. Hollywood in G.P.) Mai Tai Factor: :drink: :drink:

Gym work out (1.5 hours) Mai Tai Factor: :drink:

Swimming for an hour (when it's warmer!) Mai Tai Factor: :drink:

Bike Ride from Pasadena (home) to Hollywood (work) and back Mai Tai Factor: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

or, a "Bahooka" Factor of :tiki:

What else do we do?

M
M

Sorry for the repost. Good topic.

This only works for those of us near the water, but my wife and I went out and spent way too much mulah on sea kayaks, and head out every weekend. I run/do weights during the week to balance out mai tai consumption, but on the weekends kayaking is harder work but much more fun. Dolphins, turtles, manatees and sharks swimming about make exercise more fun.
Then, we usually paddle out to one of the small deserted spoil island just offshore and open up the concotions we've brought along and imbibe. That way we mix business with pleasure.
The exercise and mai tais equal each other out by the end of the day, but the scenery beats gym t.v.'s any day.

I used to ride my bike from Home (Arcadia, behind the Arboretum) to Work (Burbank, behind Burbank Studios), to my Girlfriend's house (Glendora), & then back home. But that was 20 years ago, now I'm lucky if I bike a dozen miles a week.

On 2005-03-23 14:23, mahalomo wrote:
Dolphins, turtles, manatees and sharks swimming about make exercise more fun.
Then, we usually paddle out to one of the small deserted spoil island just offshore and open up the concotions we've brought along and imbibe. That way we mix business with pleasure.

That sounds like HEAVEN!! That should do it!! Pals of mine here in SoCal used to be on a team of Hawaiian outrigger canoe racers (out of the Marina Del Rey)...and - I think the reason they did it was so they could eat like pigs!! That IS a good workout! My travels take me to the campus of UCLA once a week....and I'll sometimes run the stairs at Drake Stadium (the track team's hang-out) - and I've always been amazed at the workout routine of the women's rowing squad that meets there. Oh, man! These girls are FIT! (No....I didn't stare....very long!)

I can't think of a muscle group that rowing/kayaking/skulling does not work!

And what a payoff for you. No deserted isles here off LaLa Land, that's for sure!!

BTW....are your kayaks singles or doubles? (...or whatever the term is!) That sounds like fun!

On 2005-03-23 14:29, freddiefreelance wrote:
I used to ride my bike from Home (Arcadia, behind the Arboretum) to Work (Burbank, behind Burbank Studios), to my Girlfriend's house (Glendora)

Aloha, neighbor! You still an Arcadian? I work in Hollywood, but home is in Pasadena. Knowing this area as I do (lived in L.A. all my life) - that is one hell of a day's ride! I get saddle-sore just thinking about it!

Off topic a little....I hate riding in traffic since my "bicycle vs. Buick" run-in of December, 2003. Landed me in Huntington Memorial with three broken ribs. People out here do NOT look out for bikes! A run down the S.G. River bikeway from Azusa to Long Beach and back must be worth a half-dozen Mai Tais, I would think! :wink:

When we were training for our SF to LA bike ride last year, I definitely tracked miles in mai tai's. Why, when we started training in January we were only doing a 1 mai tai ride per weekend (30 miles) by the end of the training in June, we were doing 175 miles over 2 days, but sadly, were too damn tired to drink more than 2 mai tai's. We stopped riding after the big ride, and our ability to drink mai tai's rose proportionately as the number of training miles decreased! I also have been known to track miles in ice cream, guacamole and pastrami sandwiches.

M

BTW....are your kayaks singles or doubles? (...or whatever the term is!) That sounds like fun!

We each have a single. Each boat is 15.6 feet long. Great for long or short trips in the Bay here or out on the Gulf.
For extra kicks we attach one end of a surfboard leash to our ankles, attach the other end to our kayak, and jump overboard for some snorkling every once in a while to cool off and live as the fishies do.

On 2005-03-23 14:45, PapeToaTane wrote:

On 2005-03-23 14:29, freddiefreelance wrote:
I used to ride my bike from Home (Arcadia, behind the Arboretum) to Work (Burbank, behind Burbank Studios), to my Girlfriend's house (Glendora)

Aloha, neighbor! You still an Arcadian? I work in Hollywood, but home is in Pasadena. Knowing this area as I do (lived in L.A. all my life) - that is one hell of a day's ride! I get saddle-sore just thinking about it!

Off topic a little....I hate riding in traffic since my "bicycle vs. Buick" run-in of December, 2003. Landed me in Huntington Memorial with three broken ribs. People out here do NOT look out for bikes! A run down the S.G. River bikeway from Azusa to Long Beach and back must be worth a half-dozen Mai Tais, I would think! :wink:

I'm living in University City, San Diego, Ca., but my parents still live behind the Arboretum. I might ride 4 miles a day, 3 days a week, down here, but the hills are killer.

Pages: 1 8 replies