Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

mug lot score on ebay

Pages: 1 6 replies

L
laney posted on Thu, Oct 17, 2002 2:02 PM

I don't buy tiki mugs often. If I find one at a sale, thrift store, or my parents garage-sure, but there are too many fakes and unscrupulous people out there, I avoid investing much money (plus my mom has some rare ones I get to inherit someday)
I came across this lot and had to buy-It's a deal even if they are repros. I got them today and it truely was a score! I love them!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=720989673&rd=1

M

That is a nice score indeed! I see at least 4 or 5 mugs that would bring $15 alone on Ebay, and the hula girl mug more than that. You did real well on this, yessir.

Just goes to show that great mugs can be found on Ebay for a decent price. A little effort in searching and it can be done...my only complaint is I didn't find these.

Ex-cel-lent!
Midnite

Great search & find!
No listing of the word "tiki" anywhere in the title or description...and "hawaiian" is even misspelled in the description. That really cuts down on other competing bidders who are looking under "tiki" and/or "hawaiian".

S u g a r C a d d y D a d d y

Laney, you really did get a GREAT deal on that lot! Basically, you got them at "garage sale prices." I wish I could have taken advantage of that poorly advertised auction myself. It is true that individually, several of those mugs would go for 10 bucks plus if properly described as "tiki" mugs.
Just one question, how much did shipping cost? It may have even cost more to ship the mugs than the actual winning bid!

L
laney posted on Fri, Oct 18, 2002 1:56 PM

Well, Yes, I did have to pay 20.00 shipping. But still for that many vintage mugs it's still way less than garage and estate sale prices around here-if you even find tiki items anymore. It also was safely packed with lots of bubble wrap. If I bought them one by one on ebay I'd be paying 5.00 each to ship. Anyway you look at it-it's is a deal!
Who says ebay takes all the fun out of the "HUNT" Instead of flea markets and garage sales I hunt sitting on my ass with a cold beer! AHHHHHHHH

M

If I bought them one by one on ebay I'd be paying 5.00 each to ship. Anyway you look at it-it's is a deal! Who says ebay takes all the fun out of the "HUNT" Instead of flea markets and garage sales I hunt sitting on my ass with a cold beer! AHHHHHHHH

That's the, Tiki, spirit. It's always an interesting discussion about "where" and "how much I pay" for Tiki mugs. Lots of emotions, agendas, biases involved. All I know is that was a classic score, and done without getting up at 7 am, trudging through traffic and perusing countless piles of poop to find something Tiki.

The shipping charge for that lot is pretty low too. The new USPS rates have brought about the new Ebay practice of not including shipping costs in the auction listing. I have a had a few unpleasant (that will be $8.55 for one mug) surprises of late. Not pleased.

Overall, I give hunting on Ebay high cost benefit points.

midnite_tiki wrote:[/i]
(that will be $8.55 for one mug)

I'm playing you a lament on my violin as I type! To get a mug shipped to the UK, that would be very cheap for airmail & a couple of bucks over what surface costs; and that's when they calculate postage properly. I was once charged $30 for a mug sent airmail, and justifiably told them where to go....
Plus anything over $26 gets taxed twice and the Post Office then takes a tax collection charge. Ouch.

Ok, I'll put the onions away and stop feeling sorry for myself now!

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 6 replies