Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Honi Honi

Pages: 1 11 replies

As anyone got a copy of the recipe for the Honi Honi as presently served at TV's?

The only recipes I have found use rum whereas the current TV's one uses Bourbon.

P

Use the same exact recipe as the Vic's Mai Tai, only use bourbon instead of rum.

M

I was just wondering about the Honi Honi recipe myself. The "Trader Vic's Tiki Party" book shows this for the recipe:

Honi Honi
1 1/2 oz. Trader Vic's Mai Tai Mix
1 1/2 oz. Bourbon
1 1/2 cups of crushed ice
1 Mint sprig for garnish
1 Fruit stick for garnish

Shake the Mai Tai Mix, bourbon and ice in a cocktail shaker. Pour into the glass without straining. Garnish with the mint sprig and fruit stick.

Seems like a shortcut to me (as far as using the Mai Tai Mix). Based on what PiPhiRho is saying... Instead of using the mix, would you use:
1/2 oz. of fresh lime juice
1/2 oz. Orange Curacao
1/4 oz. Simple Syrup
1/4 oz. Orgeat Juice

I guess what I'm asking is; would you still add the Orange Curacao? That wouldn't be part of the TV Mix (unless there's an added orange flavor to the Mix).

AND... to confuse things even further; The Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide from 1947 says the the recipe is:

Honi Honi Cocktail
1 oz. Puerto Rican rum
1/2 oz. Apricot Brandy
1/2 oz. Lemon Juice

Shake well with ice; strain into chilled cocktail glass

Anyone have any more info on what might be the best recipe?

Useful Trivia: Honi Honi means "Kiss Kiss" in Hawai'ian.

[ Edited by: MachTiki 2006-01-10 19:14 ]

M

At the restaurant, it it made exactly as a Mai Tai with Bourbon.

This means that it has the restaurant-only Mai Tai Concentrate in it. (NOT to be confused with the retail Mai Tai Mix)

Both the Concentrate and the Mix have an "orange curacao" and "almond" flavor to them, so yes, if you were making it from scratch, I would keep the curacao and follow this recipe:

3/4 oz fresh lime juice
1/2 oz orange curacao
1/2 oz orgeat (skip the simple- extra almond works with the bourbon)
2 oz bourbon (Vic's always uses a two ounce pour)

About the 1947 version, that may well be the more authentic- a lot of things at Vic's have been simplified over the years- The Vic's Suffering Bastard is a Mai Tai with 1/2 oz more rum and a cucumber- not exactly an authentic SB. (but still pretty darn good)

M

Thanks for the clarification martiki.

On 2006-01-10 21:33, martiki wrote:
follow this recipe:

3/4 oz fresh lime juice
1/2 oz orange curacao
1/2 oz orgeat (skip the simple- extra almond works with the bourbon)
2 oz bourbon (Vic's always uses a two ounce pour)

Thanks Martiki. Just drinking my 1st homemade Honi Honi as per your recipe above and it's beautiful. Dare I say, better than the couple I've had at Vic's (hope that's not blasphemous to say that). Maybe I'll rename it the Honi Honi Heist as I've stolen it away to my home bar.

H

Last time I was at Trader Vic's Downtown we ordered Honi Honi it tasted real nice so I wanted to make one at home, I found this old thread. I just made this drink based on Martiki's recipe, I thought it was a little too strong so I added 1/4oz. Rock Candy Syrup. I used Buffalo Trace Bourbon and Marie Brizard Orange Curacao. This doesn't taste like the one at TV but it is pretty good and strong. It will do for now.

MN

I just made the original. Except it was a double.
I am sure glad we uped our drink sizes since men wore (proper) hats in bars
and ladies didn't sit at the bar unless they were trollops.

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2010-01-02 17:51 ]

On 2010-01-02 17:45, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
I am sure glad we uped our drink sizes since men wore (proper) hats in bars
and ladies didn't sit at the bar unless they were trollops.
[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2010-01-02 17:51 ]

We must be going to bars a lot less often since the trollops stopped showing up, because alcohol consumption in this country continues to drop at an alarming rate.

Had forgotten how much I loved this drink until I had one again at Trader Vic's this past weekend. I will be trying out the recipe tonite (for Halloween) along with the VooDoo Priestess. Happy Halloween Tikiphiles!

Martiki - you are a scholar and a gentleman! I love your version of the Honi Honi. Now I have a good Bourbon follow-up for the Happy Buddah.

RB

Had 2 Honi Honis (would that be "Honi Honi Honi Honi"?) at the Portland Trader Vic's last night..delicious! I'm sure I've made one at home before, but would've been a loooong time ago. Will be trying Martiki's recipe this weekend. BTW, I was corrected last night on the pronunciation: it's with a long "O"...say it "HOE-nee" :)

Pages: 1 11 replies