Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

'South Pacific' D.C. tiki gathering

Pages: 1 23 replies

I

The Arena Stage in Washington D.C. is presenting the musical 'South Pacific' from December 6th through February 2nd. We are thus planning a gathering of tiki-centralites for an evening that will likely include:

a) Dinner at the Honolulu Restaurant
b) South Pacific theatre and
c) post-theatre drinks at Poli-Tiki

This presentation of 'South Pacific' will be performed in a 'theatre in the round' setting .... which for me brings up images of a desert island. With songs like 'Some Enchanted Evening' and 'Bali Hai', this may be just what is needed to defuse the colder DC winter weather.

Ticket prices range from $53 - $58 for a Friday/Saturday evening performance, to about $46 - 51 for the other nights of the week. There are matinee performances also.

I will coordinate the ticket buying for this event. As of now, I am thinking of ordering tickets for a Saturday near the end of the performance run - either on Jan 25 or Feb 1. (I am willing to consider other dates)

If interested, please provide me with
a) number of tickets desired
b) dates that you CANNOT attend

and I will take it from there.

Bali Hai,
Vern

Hi Vern I know as of now I will need 3 tickets. I have not had a chance to talk to TubroGod (Chris) or Johntiki. Iwill talk to Chris this week.

Carroll___________________________________

:drink:

Elizabeth and I want to come, and we are available any Saturday after January 4.

J

I'd be up for it - just gotta check the calendar - right now January seems a little scary with my wife expecting in February...

You guys should have a real good time out there. I hear tell the crowds are really down in your area!

D
DCTiki posted on Sat, Nov 9, 2002 9:58 AM

I just got hip to Tiki Central two days ago, and I just read your chain from the Ocober 12 event. I'm really sorry I missed it. I actually live in the District, a few blocks away from Arena stage. I would love to meet other tikiphiles in the area, catch a show and drinks. Things are always crazy around the holidays, but when you get a date set I'll sign up for a couple of tickets. Incedentally, I have a set of six Tiki paintings hanging across the street from Arena Stage at Art-O-Matic in the waterfront mall. Sorry, no pix yet, but the show is up for the whole month of November 12am to 12pm Wed thru Sun, every night theres bands and films and theater and about 300 artists.....AND ONE totally hip, velour draped (it works, believe me) TIKI room!

I

A date has been set for the DC 'South Pacific' gathering -- Saturday evening, January 25th.

I've bought a block of 14 seats together, with the price coming to $60.50 per individual ticket.

It might be good for those who have expressed an interest to reconfirm here, or e-mail me privately, so we can keep track of claimed and available tickets.

Further details on meeting at the Honolulu for pre-show dinner will come in January.

I claim two tickets for myself .... 12 still available.

Vern

Elizabeth and I are looking forward to coming. Thanks for getting the tickets, ikitnerv. We'll settle up with you when we see you next Saturday.

Thanks Vern count Janet and I in. Janet's sister is thinking of coming. I will know more when we see you next Saturday

Carroll

I

I just got back from an evening talk at the Corcoran Museum, that featured the director, choreographer, and the actress who plays Nell in 'South Pacific' If the singing voice of this actress (she sang 'Cockeyed Optimist' tonight a capella) is any indicator of how the show will be, we will be in for a real treat.

The show is a theatre in the round - to the director's knowledge, this will be first time this stage format will be used for South Pacific. There will be a 13 piece orchestra, located underneath the stage, amidst all the stage elevators with the scenery changes - this is definitely a major production.

The choreographer actually worked, as a 5 year old, on Broadway with Rodgers and Hammerstein. She was also one of the original performers in Broadway's 'A Chorus Line' in the 70's. She stated that one problem she's had with this show is tracking down combat boots that will still allow the actors to do their dance steps. War-time musicals are such hell.

I talked briefly with the director and choreographer afterwards. Neither was aware of the presence of the tiki resurgence, but they were excited to hear about it and to hear we have a small group coming.

Anyway, I have the following signed up to attend the Saturday January 25th show.

• Myself (ikitnrev) and Guest
  • Carroll (the powerofthetiki) and Janet
  • John (Surburban hipster) and Elizabeth
  • Jared (DCTiki) and guest

with 6 tickets still available. Its a great excuse to come on down to the DC area for a weekend tiki themed visit!

Vern

I

Another activity has been added to the Saturday, January 25th 'South Pacific' agenda. Since Jared (DCTiki) lives only 3 blocks from the Arena Stage, we will be adding a stop to his apartment between the Honolulu meal and the 'South Pacific' performance. This will also allow us to view Jared's tiki paintings, artwork, and perhaps another pre-show cocktail - and will allow us to relax a bit once we drive into DC and park our vehicles.

Initial meeting times for the Honolulu will be outlined later .... prepare for a very full evening.

Currently signed up are ....
1-2 Myself and Guest
3-4 Chris and Elizabeth
5-6 Carroll and Janet
7-8 Jared and Kate
9-10 Jeff and Susan

with 4 tickets still available.

Two recent reviews of 'South Pacific' can be found here ...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59874-2002Dec15.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A51047-2002Dec13.html

Vern

S
Sabina posted on Sat, Jan 4, 2003 6:38 AM

I'm LATE!

Vern, are there still any tickets still available? Mike and I would love to join in the festivities :)

I

Sabina ...

Just in time - I'll set two tickets aside for you and Mike. I'm still waiting for final conformation from two others - if they do confirm, then all of my tickets will be spoken for.

I will keep a waiting list of names, in case someone needs to drop out and can't make it on the 25th.

Vern

J

God I feel left out!! This sounds like it's going to be such a cool outing - I wish my wife would have the baby already so I could throw my name on the waiting list! Have a Mai-tai for me!! :(

I'm already gearing up for Vera's White Sands in May - God willing...for those who didn't see Sabina's discovery check it out... https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2206&forum=1&4
We are there!!

Just Cool!!
JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Lanai in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2003-01-07 22:13 ]

John, look into inducing labor early so you can come. :wink: Seriously, I wish you were able to make it, but I'm definitely up for getting together in May at Vera's White Sands or elsewhere.

T

Sorry I am going to miss the event also, definately down for White Sands in the spring. Hopefully we can all get together again soon though.

Yes the White Sands. I had forgoten about that place. I lived in Calvert Cliffs for a year and a half while working at Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant. We spent a many a night in that place. At the time 1982 That was the only bar in a 30 mile stretch. It would be nice to go back and see the place sober. It is a nice place to spend the weekend. You have the Chesapeake Bay Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons Island and a whole lot more.

Calvert Cliffs 1982

:drink: Carroll :sheckymug:

[ Edited by: powerofthetiki on 2003-01-09 21:45 ]

T

So Power of the Tiki, which one is you?

What do you think

J
jtiki posted on Fri, Jan 10, 2003 8:23 AM

There is a conversation with some of the cast at washingtonpost.com 's live on-line section this afternoon (10 January). We saw the show last weekend, I think you will enjoy it.

I

All of my tickets for 'South Pacific' are now spoken for. Others who find themselves at the last minute able and wanting to join us might still be able to purchase tickets directly through the Arena stage.

We also have an agenda for the day:
Saturday, January 25th

5:00 Meet at the Honolulu Restaurant in Alexandria

7:00 Drive into D.C., find parking, relax before the show (departure time is flexible)

8:00 South Pacific performance

11:20 walk to Jared's apartment (3 blocks away) for post-show drinks and tiki artwork viewing

??? visit to Poli-Tiki

Current attendance list
1-2 Vern and Kirsten
3-4 Chris and Elizabeth
5-6 Carroll and Janet
7-8 Jared and Kate
9-10 Sabina and Mike
11-12 Matt and Andrea
12-13 Jeff and Susan

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev on 2003-01-10 15:39 ]

I

I've driven by the sign for Vera's White Sands several times, but never stopped in.

I would love to make my initial visit with some like-minded tiki friends..... which means count me in for Vera's in the Spring.

Vern

C

Aloha
I just joined this list yesterday and wanted to introduce myself to fellow DC-tiki lovers. I would love to get together sometime for tiki road trips, dining, home bar gatherings, etc. Is there anything planned besides South Pacific (this Saturday)? I wish I had joined sooner - I hate to think of missing it all. Please email me if you're interested in more get-togethers.
Finally, what IS the deal with PoliTiki? Dead or alive?

Politiki is still around. BTW, they don't have any other mugs besides Reagan and FDR, got an email saying mugs made in China...blah blah...Surface shipped...blah blah...Don't know where they are.

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: turbogod on 2003-01-22 09:13 ]

Pages: 1 23 replies