Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Brag Time: Personal Holy Grail Found

Pages: 1 9 replies

After years and years of searching thrift stores and flea markets (usually every friday) and only finding a parrot mug here and a big fork&spoon there, I Finally found one of my must haves...

the Mauna Loa Barrel Mug !!!

best part? $1.99

I was having a rather crappy week watching the same mug on Ebay here knowing full well I can't afford Ebay prices. Thing is, it's 1000x more gratifying finding it in the wild, even if I had money to burn.

:) :) :)

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Drinks are on me!

-Z

M

Way to go FZ. Congrats!!!!

....LUCKY!

J

I love a good "thrift store find" yarn... and a holy grail at that! Congrats!

Hey fill us in on the details of the moment you actually saw the mug... was there the ecstatic audible gasp and immediate racing heartbeat? Did your arm move in slow motion as you reached out to snatch it from the shelf? Did you suddenly fear that someone else was going to rip it away before you could actually touch it?

hoooweee!
Them's some good braggin rights!
Best high you can get for $1.99.
Congrats on the awesome score!

duuuuude.

B

On 2005-03-25 14:28, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
Thing is, it's 1000x more gratifying finding it in the wild, even if I had money to burn.

Exactly.

Thanks everyone!

On 2005-03-25 16:27, johntiki wrote:

Hey fill us in on the details of the moment you actually saw the mug... was there the ecstatic audible gasp and immediate racing heartbeat?

went to 1st thrift store, nothing. went to 2nd store, found a 12 inch tourist tiki that says Hawaii but carved in the Philippines. Thought I had a good day. went to 3rd store (where I usually find absolutely nothing) and started combing the shelves. I look down and see the Golden Nugget jungle themed goblet I passed on last week. I look up and see the Barrel among the steins. I think I actually mumbled, "oh my god, oh my god" grabbed it as quick as I could, and yes, my pulse quickened and I looked around me- odd primal reaction that is... as if the nearly homeless woman buying used clothing 5ft away is gonna tackle me for it. I scanned the rest of the shelves then went to the counter. there was a wait so I went back and re-scanned the shelves just to be sure I didn't miss anything in my excitement. I went back in line where a big argument broke out because of someone cutting in line. lots of bad attitudes, everyone in a pissy mood- except me, I was grinning ear to ear :)

fin

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2005-03-25 22:18 ]

On 2005-03-25 22:17, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

went to 1st thrift store, nothing. went to 2nd store, found a 12 inch tourist tiki that says Hawaii but carved in the Philippines. Thought I had a good day. went to 3rd store (where I usually find absolutely nothing) and started combing the shelves. I look down and see the Golden Nugget jungle themed goblet I passed on last week. I look up and see the Barrel among the steins. I think I actually mumbled, "oh my god, oh my god" grabbed it as quick as I could, and yes, my pulse quickened and I looked around me- odd primal reaction that is... as if the nearly homeless woman buying used clothing 5ft away is gonna tackle me for it. I scanned the rest of the shelves then went to the counter. there was a wait so I went back and re-scanned the shelves just to be sure I didn't miss anything in my excitement. I went back in line where a big argument broke out because of someone cutting in line. lots of bad attitudes, everyone in a pissy mood- except me, I was grinning ear to ear :)

Ah, I love to hear stories like that! I think most of us can identify with the emotional triumph we feel when we find tiki in the wild...not to mention it being a personal holy grail! I don't know if those out West get the same thrill those of us in scarce tiki hunting states get when you see anything tiki there on a shelf there for the taking! My heart still races on the rare occasion that I even find a common mug! Thanks for sharing and congrats once again!

T

thats like finding a cup with $148.00 dollars in it. Ok, better. I got that same feeling you got on the only one mug I ever found. And it was a common type mug.

Pages: 1 9 replies