Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

6 string Uke? Saw it on Sesame Street!

Pages: 1 3 replies

Grover was doing a video piece on Hawaiian culture. In the footage was someone playing a 6 string "Uke" style instument. It appeared to be the same string arrangement but with dual courses here and there.

Does anyone know more about this?

Hi Freakbear,
Yes, ukuleles can come with 6 or 8 strings. The strings that are "doubled" are usually an octave apart. They have a much fuller sound when strumming, but they are more difficult for "picking" style. It's also a little harder to make the barr chords when you have to hold down the extra strings. Here's a link to a picture of a 6-string uke.

http://meleukulele.com/shopexd.asp?id=26

Thanks Ookoo! It looks like the first and third string slots are in courses while the second and fourth are single strings. Is this correct? I bet that sounds great... but probably tricky to tune.

TK

There are Ukes in all sorts of variations. 4, 5, 6, 8 and even 10 strings. Some argue that these "variations" are not true Ukuleles, but I guess it depends on your "purist" level. I have an 8 string sopprano tuned GG CC EE AA. first string(s) are pairs(tuned the same pitch), second and third are octaves apart, last two are paired. It has a neat sound, almost like two playing in unison, almost a "chorus" effect.

Pages: 1 3 replies