Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Where were you when...

Pages: 1 2 replies

J

...Tiki Central made the leap from annoying ad-laden Yahoo Groups to the glorious Promised Land that we all know and love today? It was 3 years ago this week, actually March 23rd to be exact, that Hanford took the one small step that became a giant leap for Tikiphiles worldwide!

I was in Las Vegas that week. I got home, logged onto Yahoo Groups and saw nothing but the burned-out remains of what I knew as my only daily source of tiki info. The forums which once bustled were now vacant… the hurried mass exodus of settlers who once called Yahoo home left behind nothing more than the linguistic relics of a once-proud civilization… somewhere off in the distance I could hear a rickety screen door banging incessantly with each gust of the harsh frozen wind. I scrambled to read the latest posts, closed another one of Yahoo's pop-up ads and discovered the new settlement at tikicentral.com that was populated by only a few. I signed up immediately, though a week late, and have been happy, virtually living here ever since!

March 23rd, 2002... a day which should be exalted by all TCers! I know International Tiki Day is in August but we need to do something to commemorate the day WE, tiki fans as a whole, proclaimed our independence from the evil Yahoo Empire!

T

Aye, I remember that day well. Being an old curmudgeon, I was wary of this newfangled forum. I liked things to be the way they were. But then I saw the light. The rum infused beam of holiness that is TC. I was wholly converted, like a pagan upon seeing a conquistador upon black velvet. All was revealed. I was whole.

Now if I can only remmebr how I found the Tiki yahoo groups in the first place, my memory recovering program will be complete.

W

" Being an old curmudgeon, I was wary of this newfangled forum..." -tikifish-

You may have been wary, but I think you going on and on and on (and on) about the terrible fashions in the JC Penney ads Yahoo was posting may have helped fuel the creation fires. And not only did it further your reputation as a curmudgeon it made clear that your fashion tastes were not to be trifled with.

Pages: 1 2 replies