Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

How do you pack a Tiki for shipment???

Pages: 1 8 replies

M

These suckers are heavy, and bulky, how are you supposed to pack and ship them? Any advice would be most helpful. Mahalo!

McTiki

My friend, I would have my wife do for me.
Seriously, If you know the weight,I would start with somekind of a "doublewall" corrugated box(basicly the thickness of two boxes).Then pad the bottom with some bubblewrap or dense packaging foam,then wrap the Beauty thoroughly with more foam or bubble. then pack the rest of the carton firmly(tight but not too tight) with more packaging material. Tape all sides of carton,then have your spouse/girl, etc. take to your shipper(just kidding).This will be the simplest/least expensive way to go. My background includes 15 years as a salesrep/owner of a wholesale paper/packaging company, which I sold with much pride to a competitor in 2001.
Mahalo, Don

I once shipped a 6 footer on a pallet. Strapped it down real tight, covered it with a blanket, tied that up tight and sent it on it's way. It now resides in Saugus near Magic Mountain. The shipping company (GI Trucking) used a fork lift to load and unload. No problems.

TM

I build a crate for mine (just did one yesterday).

M

Thank you All so much. Just pondering the day we go online, and post offerings of these demigods that may require some extra effort to move to their homes. Thanks again.

Mahalo !!!

Pack it in a little box, then pop it into a bigger box full of packing peanuts/or the equivelant. Make sure the outside box can have a small child attack it, and if it passes, the world is a better place.

Trader Woody

B

McTiki, I would just Roll it up is corricated paper about 3 thicknesses deep and fold over the ends. Then tie it with rope and leave a rope handle. should go OK

McTiki - unfortunately I don't have any experience to lend you. If you were packing one of my Ebay staples (books, records, taxidermy bobcats), I could give you good advice.

Still, knowing what I know, Benzart's technique seems safe and sound. All the others would work well too, but with Ben's you don't have to hunt for the perfect-size box or build a crate. And I know from experience the cushioning power of several layers of corrugated cardboard. The pallet method does have its merits too, though.

Sabu.

M

Thanks All! Were in buisness!

Pages: 1 8 replies