Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Is This Guy Smoking Crack?

Pages: 1 34 replies

J

I was browsing on Ebay and came across this item... what the hell is this guy thinking? $50.00? It's a pretty common postcard... I just got one for $5.00!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3961643527&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

yes, this is a sign of crack abuse. the crack heads in this city are always pushing those postcards. I wonder if the mai kai is behind this (mr. big)? but I did get a nice set of jumper cables for $2.00.

i hate it when the guys on the street ask if i can spare a lime :wink:

MT

Yeah, discussions about this guy's selling habits have come up here before. Like here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12780&forum=1

and even way back here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2474&forum=5

How about the price on this ebay item of his, of those "Chanting Mugs" at Disneyland? $110?!? Those aren't rare or numbered, and still available at Disneyland, and I think they will even mail order those, unlike the Pele Mug.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3935197006

Just feel lucky you didn't have to buy this from him:

Yeah.

Used to be a fairly unaffordable postcard a few years ago, but lately a lot of them have been showing up. I got mine for about $5.00 also.

Just goes to show that waiting usually pays off. In your advantage:

1. The wealthier half-dozen collectors eventually all get theirs, allowing the rest of us a clear field after a while.

2. The initial high prices cause postcard sellers to begin to hunt for these postcards and dump them on E-bay. What originally was thought of as a rare postcard often becomes common and prices drop.

Sabu.

J

Hey Mai Tai - I can see the Buy it Now price - $1,200.49. :)

K
Kono posted on Mon, Mar 28, 2005 5:40 PM

Does anyone have info on the "Todd Hackett" tiki mugs? They look like those Disney Enchanted Tiki Room mugs but they say "Todd Hackett" on the bottom front. Does anyone know if "Todd Hackett" is/was a bar or restaurant or swingers' resort?

:lol:

Just a few days ago I let that postcard slide on ebay. It was $9.99 and there were no bids. It didn't have "Todd Hackett" printed on it though, I think there may be added provenance there. :wink:

Its amazing how much people charge for Tiki related items nowadays, I have been out and about in the Bay Area seeking out some steals in local antique stores and really haven't found any.

Just a couple of examples of what I have found, I found a complete set of Matson Line Menus, the bright and colorful ones, the guy wanted $110 to $135 for EACH menu.

I also found a person with a booth in an antique mall in Monterey, they had quite an assortment of mugs, nothing that uncommon, like the Tiki Leilani mug, priced at $38 and the Mark Thomas Outrigger mug, priced at $96.

I wonder how people think they can command those prices? I can understand someone charging a small premium for things, but to charge 3 to 4 times the amount for something?

I guess I can just be happy in knowing that they will never sell anything and end up broke...:)

On 2005-03-29 12:41, Cool Manchu wrote:
I also found a person with a booth in an antique mall in Monterey, they had quite an assortment of mugs, nothing that uncommon, like the Tiki Leilani mug, priced at $38 and the Mark Thomas Outrigger mug, priced at $96.

You were in Monterey and you did'nt checkin with me? :)

Doh! Sorry about that...

I live on the north side of the Bay from you. I will drop you a line next time I am down there...

BTW- I heard that there is a place selling Tiki stuff in downtown Monterey. Do you know of it? Is it worth checking out? It's where the antique store that was never open was, the one right next to the used book store that sells books that people like me do not read...:)

Todd Hackett is a Disney souvineer fan/seller, those names in his auction pics are just there so people dont steal his auction pictures. They are indeed the tiki pole mugs sold at Disneyland. He is a very nice guy and seller I have dealt wuth him before.

NKO

Ia Orana Outou! O Todd Hackett to’u j’oa. Here’s my a’amaramaramara’a for those who don’t know me:

My interest in Polynesia came from my Pop who served in WWII from Pearl Harbor to Iwo Jima. He met my Mom at a USO canteen, and I grew up here in L.A. Then there were only really two Polynesian restaurants that were classy- Don the Beachcomber in Hollywood and the Tahitian in Pasadena (and Encino). That was the coolest restaurant ever. The Tahitian was a mysterious magical oasis with incredible food and heavenly French pastries served from a cart by a lovely vahine. In college I drove a VW bug with the plate No Ka Oi & worked at Disneyland in the 70s and 80s, mostly on the “west side” of the park, spending endless days at- where else? The Enchanted Tiki Room as a host!

At California Institute of the Arts I worked with a Disney artist organizing a Papua New Guinea artifact & tiki collection and helped put together a book on his experiences exploring the dark side of Polynesia where white men dare not go and cannibalism still existed.

Remember Sea & Jungle, a Polynesian restaurant supply store in Glendale? It was run by a cool Maohi named Tiki, who every summer booked the dancers & fire eaters for the Tahitian Terrace Polynesian Revue in Disneyland (now there’s a cause- lets bring it back!). Sadly Sea & Jungle tore down its huge thatched hut entrance in the late 80s to make way for a welfare office.

I collect Polynesia that pertains to my youth, and the extras go on ebay. I’ve overpaid for some items just like everyone else, and I’m sorry if my prices seem sometimes a little high. I’m just trying to cover expenses and my ebay buying habit! My other Maohi friends will tell you that I’m just a regular Joe.

I don’t ingest illegal stimulants from South America, but I do enjoy cigars from Havana and Martinis, Bahias (aka Coconut Rum Swizzles), and Kahlua. Most of the Tahitians I know who are into this are like me are older and don’t hang around the ‘net. I’m brand new to message boards (this being my first post!), so I’m sorry I didn’t reply earlier.

If you’re curious about what I look like, I was in the Doo-Dah parade in Pasadena this year filming friend Queen Cherry Capri of Lotta Living and her Tiki retinue. I’m the guy who walked backwards with a camera (twice!) thru the parade. Na reira ia. Parahi ia. Todd.

[ Edited by: No Ka Oi on 2005-04-10 18:01 ]

T

Welcome Todd, I purchased a Pele mug from you a while back.

Tiki Todd Hackett is a very good friend of mine and I've been BUGGING him for the longest time to join Tiki Central.

Being the devout capitalist that I am (sorry for the political comment Hanford - but it's relevant to the discussion) I figure it is fair game to sell items for whatever the market will bear... Of course the prices might seem on the high side to many of Tiki Centralites - but that's because:

• We are all smarter then the average bears.
  • We are the early adopters - and knew about this stuff before it became "popular."
  • We are the ones who spend way too much time scouring thrift stores and estate sales.
  • We are the ones who know how to scope out the online auctions to find the real scores.
  • We PAID OUR DUES!

Not everyone is curious enough to search out to find out the insider scoop and join this community. But that's their fault isn't it not TTH's? I mean we'all found this forum! And some people are just willing to have other people be their personal shoppers for them and pay a premium for the service. That's not wrong is it?

If someone is willing to spend big bucks on an item you know you could get for less - then pat yourself on the back about how smart and "inside" you are... But don't get too upset at TTH who scours and scopes and has paid his own set of dues to get the items he finds.

So please be nice and welcome my dear friend to the forum.
Welcome No Ka Oi!!!!

A behind the scenes snapshot from the Doo dah Parade

And Tiki Todd actually was at the Mai Kai Gent's Farewell show at the Purple Orchid.

Aloha my freind No Ka Oi. With all of your knowledge of tiki-dom, I do hope we see you post more here!

J

Okay, okay... I get the picture. Todd Hackett is a nice guy and I was wrong to suggest that he uses crack or that I found the price of that Mai Kai postcard outrageous! My apologies! :wink:

it's ok - if i didn't know him, i might think the same thing :)

p.s. as i was reading over the past threads and discussions on his auctions - and yah - he was/is very good freinds of mark/alice davis.

T

Oh man.... Nicholas Hironis!

That's friggin' hee-sterical.....

Futura - give Mr. T a big hug for me.

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2005-04-11 16:15 ]

yah - he is a man of many names - maybe that's why we get along so well
:wink:

T

i concure! here, here!

todd hackett is the big kahuna of southern california populuxe splendor and an absolute charmer of a person. as far as his ebay prices, well, it takes a lot to keep the wheels of style turnin'!

'mr. hackett' is also an amazing film producer/writer/director who has created some of the coolest projects to come to the big and small screens. he's one of the pioneers of retro-populuxe cutlure and he's the spiritual father of many of Tiki Central's biggest contributors. although i'm guilty of being more of a lurker around here, my personal interest and collection is vast and 'senior hackett' is one of the major influences in getting me started back in the 80s.

so, sit back and pay homage to senior hackett for he is friend, not foe...in fact, sacrifice some goats or virgins at the altar of his greatness!

and by the way, yes, he does smoke crack and i'll have you know it's the finest sh*t this side of the 5 freeway!

da kine, baby!

[ Edited by: tiki1963 on 2005-04-13 15:58 ]

NKO

Ia Orana Outou! Eaha te parau api? This is a picture of one of my oldest and dearest friends, the lovely and talented former Disneyland Hostess Kari. She recently returned to the newly refurbished Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room presented by our friends at Dole Pineapple for this picture. Kari also used to perform tricks at the Magic Shop on Main Street, USA. Kari collects (literally) pieces and fragments of the park, so if you know of any, let No Ka Oi know.

When Kari and I worked at Disneyland the Tiki Room was known by r.o.s (ride operators) as a "skate" ride. That's a ride that's easy and fun to work (just one button to press - plus the exit doors). Every summer there would be a race to get a shift on the Mark Twain (5 buttons to push - plus a port rope!) or the Tiki Room by senior r.o.s in the area. Tanes could work either, Vahines only the Tiki Room!

I still can hear the dishes being washed behind the kitchen door of the Tiki Room leading to the Plaza Pavilion (where we sat and watched the room) while the show was going on. Ua poia anei oe? E! I'm hungry - I wish it was a restaurant as originally planned.

Nana.

Kari also used to perform tricks at the Magic Shop on Main Street, USA.

WOW! And I thought Disneyland was a family place, begs the question, did she do it with mirrors?

NKO

Oh no Tikispecs! Kari was a magician who performed magic illusions at the Magic Shop! You must be thinking of the massage parlor run by Walt Disney's grandson off Center Street above the Clock Shop on Main Street, USA.

Here is a Disneyland "Swinger" polaroid picture of my metua vahine and metua tane taken in 1963 at the newly opened Tahitian area in Adventureland. Mama is wondering "tei hea rua te fare tama'ara "Enchanted Tiki Room Restaurant presented by Stouffers in Disneyland?"

Na reira ia. Mauruuru.

T

On 2005-04-24 23:05, No Ka Oi wrote:
Here is a Disneyland "Swinger" polaroid picture of my metua vahine and metua tane taken in 1963 at the newly opened Tahitian area in Adventureland. Mama is wondering "tei hea rua te fare tama'ara "Enchanted Tiki Room Restaurant presented by Stouffers in Disneyland?"

Hmmmm.... I think I'd rather see a photo of "Mr. Hackett" beginning his collection of posters around 1983, or so....!

NKO

On 2005-04-25 06:03 , Tangaroa wrote:
Hmmmm.... I think I'd rather see a photo of "Mr. Hackett" beginning his collection of posters around 1983, or so....!

A hi'o! Ovai te ie? Todd Hackett!

Nana.

On 2005-03-28 05:38, johntiki wrote:
Is This Guy Smoking Crack?

J

If I didn't know the real story behind that pic I would definitely say yes - or perhaps Mr. Nolte's aloha shirt is just an indication he may have had 5-10 Mai Tais too many at Tiki Ti! :)

NKO

Eaha te parau api? A hi'o! I'm selling my friend Koro's collection of Tiki matchbooks this week on ebay.

E mea maita'i roateie.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3975672749&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3975667483&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1
Nana.

[ Edited by: No Ka Oi on 2005-05-19 01:57 ]

T

well, at least we now know what he's using to light up his pipe with :wink:

J

:lol:

NKO
NKO

Eaha te parau api? A hi'o!

I forgot to list my last Enchanted Tiki Room Chanting Mug Set auction on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6533631354&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

This is Walt with Juan, Jose's cousin who invited the public to come inside Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room.

Mauruuru. Nana.

NKO

Eaha te parau api? A hi'o! I've also listed the last of my Enchanted Tiki Room Chanting Mugs based on Disney legend Marc Davis' designs for the Chanting Tiki Totems on ebay ending on Monday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6535372889&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1

Haere tatou! Mauruuru.

NKO

Eaha te parau api? A hi'o! I'm selling more of my friend Koro's collection of Tiki matchbooks this weekend on ebay.

E mea maita'i roateie.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3984538525&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3984502228&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Nana.

[ Edited by: No Ka Oi 2005-07-09 08:14 ]

NKO

Pages: 1 34 replies