Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Bar In Manhattan

Pages: 1 12 replies

Does anyone know about this "Tiki Bar" Located in Manhattan New York? Was looking to host a party and wanted to see if it was a good place. Thanks

there's a thread on here somewhere. i didn't even realize the place still existed. it's an alright place (or was a few years ago when i visited) it ain't tiki tho (or at least wasn't a few years ago when ...)

tc

Thanks, it sounds like it was a big deal a few years back. Not sure anymore. Thanks for your help. Any othe suggestions?

i guess it depends on the party. but waikiki wally's & otto's shrunken head certainly come to mind.

will you be in nyc long?

TM

On 2005-03-29 09:28, Tiki Chris wrote:
i guess it depends on the party. but waikiki wally's & otto's shrunken head certainly come to mind.

will you be in nyc long?

There is a back room at Otto's that I believe can be rented out - It's where the bands play. When I was there in January, there was a private function going on.

At Waikiki Wally's there is a cool 'tiki room' that may serve your purpose. It's real dark and very cool. Cocktails come in Tiki Farm mugs and the staff was extra friendly.

Thanks for the info - I will give them a call. I will only be in NYC for a few days at the end of April for Tahiti Week.

On 2005-03-29 13:09, Pacific Andy wrote:
Thanks for the info - I will give them a call. I will only be in NYC for a few days at the end of April for Tahiti Week.

tahiti week? got more any more info on that?

Hey Tiki Chris- How's it going?

Pacific Andy- You should definitely do Waikiki Wally's or Otto's. The Tiki Bar was never very good and is even less tiki now- I don't think it's even called that any more.

On 2005-03-29 13:50, Urban Tiki wrote:
Hey Tiki Chris- How's it going?

hey there urban tiki. going well. today's actually my birthday. yippee for me!

btw, tiki emi & i went to la isla (the cuban diner in hoboken) this past weekend. oh man, that place is the best. anyway, i'm already hankerin' to go back. we should meet up.

later,
tc

N

Pacific Andy,

I was in NYC just a couple of days ago. Went to both Otto's Shrunken Head and Waikiki Wally's. They both have rooms that would work well for a Tiki-themed party.

I vote for Waikki Wallys over the 2. They are both good but Waikki is always good. Sometimes Ottos has some lets say "NON EXOTICA / Tiki" music in there in the form of bands in the back room. The mugs are cool but nothing out of the ordinary - most of the bartenders need to look at the menu to make the "Tiki type" drinks since they are used to opening beers and making regular call drinks. The staff at Ottos is friendly and so are the patrons, its just that Waikki is straight up Tiki and they even have live birds that sometimes are released for the use of fun picture taking. If you got the time try both but stay at Waikki's so go there last. Both places will let walk with their mugs for a small fee - like $5 - either way injoy!

Thanks for all the help. I will get in contact with them. Tahiti week is April 26th to the 29th in Manhattan. Its the week Air Tahiti Nui is launching its introduction of NYC to Tahiti direct flight which starts in July. During this week they will be serving Hinano Beer at certain bars, all the jewelery shops will be featuring black pearls, they will be giving away tiare flowers at grand central station and other places in Manhattan and they will have a Traditional Tahitian dance show possibly on the Today Show. So its a big deal. The only problem is the bars have not been announced but I will keep you east coasters informed.

On 2005-03-29 15:40, Tiki Chris wrote:

hey there urban tiki. going well. today's actually my birthday. yippee for me!
Big Mahalos for your birthday, Tiki Chris! I'll toast you tonight...while I'm watching the O.C.

I know, I'm such a dweeb...

At least you get to celebrate Tahiti Week in New York! we don't exactly have that in Texas.

Pages: 1 12 replies