Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Bakshi version of Mighty Mouse?

Pages: 1 26 replies

Anyone here have copies of the Ralph Bakshi Mighty Mouse cartoons? These were done in the late 80s I believe, and Jon K. of Spumco fame was an animator on them (or worked on the stories, or something like that).

I have not tried recently to track them down on the web, but last time I tried a few years back I was unsuccessful.

Just wondering,

Hanford

B

Hey Hanford, I have a few episodes on an old vhs tape, in a box, in the very back of a long closet. I'll go spelunking in that closet & let you know when I find it. That show was great! If you appreciate Spumco, you'll love these too.

I love those, it sucked when they got took off the air and Mighty Mouse got banned from TV. I never saw the episode that caused it but i remember hearing that Mighty Mouse gets high and finally does it with Pearl Pureheart. From what I heard of that last episode Mighty Mouse goes up and smells a flower which makes his eyes go swirly and makes him float kind of stupified, He then spots Pearl who's dressed very sexy. Pearl gives him a wink and beckons to him with a come hither finger motion, they walk into a house in the background together and the house starts rocking around all over the place. Might Mouse then comes out with a very content look on his face smoking a cig.

B

...nothin' wrong with that!

Except I hear smoking stunts mice growth (?).

I remember that cartoon. Nowadays it seems that most of the toons that populate the Cartoon Network and Nick are of the sarcastic smartass variety. This was one of the first that I can think of, so it was pretty awe inspiring and shocking, even.

My favorite thing about that cartoon was the other characters on there like Bat-Bat and teh Bug Wonder. Mighty Mouse was like Superman who was Super and a Man so it stood to reason that a mouse who was Moighty and a mouse would be called Mighty Mouse. But Batman is like a Bat but he's a man, Bat-Bat was like a Bat but he was... well, a Bat, so they called him Bat-Bat.

was Bat-bat's catch phrase "my wings are like a shield of steel"?

I like some of the lesser-powered superheros who were mighty mouse's friends. There was Mole Mom, the Sloth, and a litte dog who's name I can't recall, but I remember his super-power was the ability to "scamper".

All these guys went up against The Cow in an episode where Mighty Mouse was out of town I believe.

Bamzemo, When you come across that tape, definitely shoot me an email to let me know

~Hanford

to answer my own question now my brain is working again it was Bat-Fink whose catchphrase i quoted.

http://www.davemackey.com/animation/seeger/batfink/

wasn't there some controversial scene where mm was smelling some cheese but it looked just like he was snorting coke?

S

Yes! I own the whole series on tape! I loved it and had a few episodes and spent much time looking on Ebay.

What I have was recorded off the TV, but it is pretty good and complete. 4 tapes. I kind of hated buying a copy of someones home videos basically, but I wanted these badly.

My favorites were The Cow, and The League of Super Rodents, and Puffy Goes Berserk and Pirates With Dirty Faces, and of course, the Tooth Fairy episode.

S

What I liked in these cartoons were the regular references to relish (We represent a race of super relishes from a galaxy hundreds of miles away), the regular references to Ralph himself, and the just plain odd stuff going on in the background. A fleeting glimpse of some very old cartoon character here and there. We watched these things a frame at a time to catch all the stuff. Deputy Dog telephones...

It's kind of funny to me to read you guys' half memories of the show. I may be the only one actually knows the answers. The Gas Gopher. Jay Gerbil. I cannot remember who had the Super Scamper Power though.

I still have phrases from those cartoons in my daily life. No one has any clue what they refer to but me.

Swanky,

If you told us what the phrases meant, would you have to kill us?

Favorite catch phrase:

I am the Cow...MOO!!!

S

"Taste cold justice you disreputable henchmen types!"

"Well, I might just be a witch."

"Ohhh anchovies. I hate anchovies. And I hate this party! I'm leaving!"

"Oh look at 'im. Ain't he cute. He's sleepin' like a baby." "I think he's kinda creepy."

"Wow, my shorts really rode up."

"You'll never find your eggspit that way."

"I'll take you all on with three hooves tied behind my back and my tongue taped to the ceiling!"

A

My favorite is from "The Tick"

"The City is my muffin and I'm going to spread my buttery brand of justice over its every nook and crany."
Mahalo,
Al

Lets switch it to the Tick then

Favorite Tick charcater:
The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs In The Night

A

Check out http://www.coolstuffvideos.com under classic cartoons.

Also, the guy who runs coolstuff is always at the San Mateo collectibles fair, one of which was last weekend.

-Randy

Cool! Thanks Randy.

Acutally I just bought the tapes off of ebay. We'll see what it looks like when i get them.

Also, Fox Kids ran reruns of the show when Ren and Stimpy got popular. I taped some off of that, but then, well then it was pulled from Fox.

Oh well.

Hanford

A

Way way OT here, at least in the "beyond tiki" sense, but I just heard that Ren & Stimpy might be coming back. Last weekend I got the super pleasure of briefly meeting a couple of current Samurai Jack storyboard artists/writers, who used to do Spumco stuff. So that's the horse's mouth that the news came from.

Incidentally, if you haven't seen Samurai Jack, you're missing out. And I mean the indefinite YOU. Yes, you too. Everyone should see that show, especially if you like Miles Thompson or any of the other brilliant crop of animator/painter/artist types out there these days. Like, wow!

-Randy

I, too, am also a Spumco fan. Here are some things you may not have known:

Yes, Ren & Stimpy ARE coming back! This time, on TNN! Look for them sometime next year.

Did you know that Ralph Bakshi's animation studio was located next to Bagdassarian Studios, the same studios that gave us The Alvin Show and the lame 80s remake Alvin & the Chipmunks? This fact even influenced an episode of the New Mighty Mouse. John Krisfalusi said he always thought the 80s version was so odd b/c Dave finds these rodents on his doorstep and what does he do? He makes them sing! John K also thought it was weird that the main concern of the 80s version was for Alvin to get a date with a HUMAN girl!
Needless to say, it wasn't long b4 the Alvin & the Chipmunks was parodied in one of my favorite Mighty Mouse in which Dave Seville always has Cheerios in his mouth for some reason the rodents to sing, then sing backwards, or face dire consequences!

Did you know the same people who gave us the New Mighty Mouse also gave us the video for the Rolling Stones "Harlem Shuffle"?

Did you know that Ralph Bakshi offerred John Krisfalusi a job as an animator on the box-office bomb "Cool World," but John thankfully turned it down to work on Ren & Stimpy?

Did you know that Bakshi was only producer, and that John Krisfalusi was the one REALLY in charge?

Did you know that all of the animators actually HATED Mighty Mouse? They were constantly seeking ways to write out of the script and promote their OWN characters.

Did you know that Krisfalusi is incredibly hard to spell?

Did you know that I have a lot of spare time on my hands?

Favorite lines:
Bug Wonder (fighting evil villains): "Take this! Take that! Take this five dollars! Don't spend it all on comic books!"

Dave Seville: "SING!!!"
Chipmunks: "La la la la la la la!"
Dave Seville: "SING BACKWARDS!!!"
Chipmunks: "Al al al al al al al!"

and for a great Chipmunks parody site, go to http://www.angelfire.com/music3/behind/

S

How freakin' weird! I was thinking of this same line this morning on the way to work! I say this line at least once a quarter in some form.

"Everyone makes mistakes. That's why they put rubber on the ends of pencils."

Mighty Mouse hangs out at tiki motel....

YouTube: New Adventures of Mighty Mouse-Mighty's Wedlock Whimsy

(at 1:45)

Dredging up an oldey KB the 33rd....

-Yes, I am digging up something old that has not seen use in years and using it again. I am kind of like those people who go to thrift stores and buy those mugs that were popular in the 1950's & 60's that resembled carvings by primitive Polynesians.

-I did what every good TikiCentral poster should do and use the search option to see if there is an existing topic that relates to the topic I wish to post before creating a new topic. I found this topic and used it rather than create a new topic and contributing to the TikiCentral topic/thread pollution. Well, actually I was considering the "Tiki on TV" topic but anyway....

-So is Hanford still looking for Ralph Bakshi Mighty Mouse cartoons on VHS tapes?

[->>King Bushwich 33rd on Hulu.com

Ha, No, I bought the complete set on VHS (complete with commercials) from eBay a decade ago. I think you can find them on YouTube now. In other news I don't think you can even find VHS players in thrift stores, now.

Pages: 1 26 replies