Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Best time of year to visit Hawaii

Pages: 1 12 replies

I'm planning a vacation to Hawaii (oahu to be exact), and while I have read other posts regarding where to go, I haven't seen any stating what the best time of year to go. I'm trying to avoid any hurricane seasons, and a time that might be less touristy would be preferable. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-g-

T

Most touristy times are summer (between Memorial day and Labor day) and Christmas break.

Hurricane season is the the fall but rates are often cheapest then.

I went in the spring and it was a good time.

The Unofficial Guide to Hawaii states that the cheapest as well as the least crowded times to go are from mid-March to mid-June (excluding Easter) or between September and the December holidays.

I've gone to Oahu the past two years during May. The weather was great. The crowds were non-existant. The hotel prices were decent.

Visit Hana in Maui!

D

We are going to Maui in July. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Airfare alone is at 630.00 per person, because its high season. What was I thinking? Go in the fall or spring and your looking at almost half that departing from LAX or SFO. Here are the annual temps and rainfall averages for Honolulu.

http://www.weather.com/activities/travel/vacationplanner/weather/climo-monthly-graph.html?locid=USHI0026&from=search

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-03-30 20:59 ]

J

Anytime you can get cheap airfare, and get off work. The only time Hawaii doesn't suck is winter,spring summer,and fall.And for Oahu check out http://www.1313ilikai.com

yes. there can be a bad time to visit hawaii - if you're going for sun and fun.

i was there for a week in november many years ago - the first half day was cool, but still sunny... then the storm rolled in.

it rained for 6 days straight. the flow of water from the sky was so bad that towards the last day mud got into the public water system on maui - turned on the tap and tan water came out.

the last day before i left for home - the clouds went away and the sun returned. but the surf was really high and the normally calm napili cove had powerful rumbling dangerous waves. "no problem" i said... i'll at least just lay out a bit on the sand and catch some rays and at least enjoy the look of the ocean.

i put down my towel, but within a few minutes and several bites later - i realized that the rain had brought out giant biting horseflies all along the shoreline.

i've been to hawaii in spring summer and late fall - and after that lesson - i'd pay the higher rates to be assured of good weather.

Hi Liabungalo-

I live on O'ahu and we've been getting rain and high winds for the past couple of months. Best times are usually March thru June for the best weather and rates. Hawaiian Airlines has some great rates from LAX to Honolulu. During the summer the rates for everything increase substantially, but the weather is good (although a little warmer). Typically the temperature here is around 84 degrees constant; humidity is higher than California but still lower than the southern states. I would also recommend you stay at Marriott's Ihilani Resort on the leeward coast - it's a beautiful hotel with private lagoons and an unbelievable lcation. there are a bunch of great retaurants on the property and you are a 30 minute drive from downtown Waikiki. If you stay in Waikiki it's like staying in downtown LA - ton's of traffic and tourists. Hope this helps...

We're thinking of staying from Sept. 23 through Oct. 1. Hopefully the weather will hold up. March through June is a little too soon, and we are trying to avoid the Summer months.

thanks for the comments,

-g-

I was in Oahu, Big Island and Maui through the months of December and January and the weather was warm and sunny with big surf. We did have a few heavy downpours, but they were cool too!

T

Post Labor day in September is the best time to travel anywhere in the US (and in much of the world as well) for a bachelor like me. All the kids are back in school but the weather is still nice. When I went to South Dakota and Wyoming the week after Labor Day it was uncrowded in the Black Hills and Yellowstone. The locals often said "most people left last week". But many of the lodges (like the Old Faithful) in the parks were still open through September. And the fall colors start to come out in the mountains.

So Hawaii in September and early October sounds lovely, if a big storm doesn't develop.

I was just there in march. And it was perfect weather. However I would rethink about only going to Oahu. Hawaii is great, but we spent four days and three nights in Waikiki. It was a definite city vibe. The beach of waikiki albeit beautiful was way touristy. The north shore, had the big waves, so you couldn't swim.

I spent the first three days on the big island. Talk about kickin back. It was in my mind tropical paradise.
I stayed near kona in the waikoloa resort by marriott, it was good and 219 a night. And the vibe was great. Would recommend. For 70 bucks you can grab a flight to the next island.

Aloha!

You should be fine in Sept/Oct as far as weather is concerned. It's still a little warm (85+)but you'll have a great time... Keep checking Hawaiian Airlines for specials; likewise Aloha and ATA...

Aloha

Pages: 1 12 replies