Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

aol sucks!!!

Pages: 1 9 replies

Arrrrrrr!! F'in shit! How can I get rid of em' and keep my email??

Optimized my ass!!

Even on "broadband cable" they suck hard!!!

booted off too many times......help?

Heyz Ben, every ISP has email. AOL is the anti-Christ, in case ya didn't know. They're even worse than MSN. Both of these corporate mofo's know that they can only keep their users by confusing and inciting fear in them. You do not need these a$$holes to get on the internet. AOL and MSN would like you to believe that there is stuff they have that only their users can access, but it's crap.

I use GoDaddy.com for my website hosting and we use Eartlink for our ISP. They are good, if not great, and they don't have all that phoney "internet portal" sh!t. Joe Bob says check 'em out.

Hey Ben-

Wow that sucks. Don't know what to tell you. I got rid of AOL years ago. Road Runner is the way to go. F' AOL. Just get a new email with a new ISP and be done with those rip-off bastards. They frickin suck!

T

BB,
Easiest way is get a new ISP and email all your contacts with your new address. Some providers would recieve aol for ablout a month kind of like when you phone number has been changed, I'm not sure if they still do though. Who hosts your website? They probably can host your email too. Then you could be [email protected] and it wouldn't matter who your isp was.
My 2 cents

EVERYBODY I know that has that 'optimized' crap regrets ever updating to 9.0...

If you have broadband cable, you can surf the net without even bothering with opening AOL.... just use a browser of your choice... explorer, firefox, etc. As far as email goes, see if your web hosting service can provide you with email capabilities, then use your own email management program, like outlook or thunderbird.

If you take that route, be sure you have up to date virus/spam/spyware programs working for you.

AOL should be re-classified as a "virus". I had "it" for almost ten years, but the service, quality and newer "optimized" versions were just terrible! And kept getting worse. (4.0 was the last decent one, IMHO)

Everybody who has quit them has their own set of horror-stories, mine are legion. The worst was after they had been paid for the final month, and they had even sent me a letter indicating that I was all-paid-up, I kept getting threatening phone calls (the computerized, disembodied-voice kind - at all hours) telling me to "pay up or face the consequences". Talking to a human was even worse. I'm sure the person who I finally got on the line was sitting in a sweatshop in New Delhi, but they were just RUDE! Worst "customer service" I've ever experienced, in ANY business. Talks about oxymorons! Can imagine what would happen to your business if you treated people like that? I think they figure there are enough people around that they can screw with everybody once, maybe twice, and still make their billions!

I still got phone calls for months after that offering me "free service" for a year if I'd come back. Not even a little tempting.

From one "Rev." to another, Ben - dump them fast! And run!

T

Yes, indeed, AOL has some very Mafia-like tactics to keep you from leaving "the family". A friend tried quitting the service a few years ago and they nickel and dimed him with tiny new charges in order to keep him officially on the service until he paid every last cent. This went on for weeks. After many angry calls, he turned it over to his business manager who immediately had them quaking in their boots with threats of lawsuits.

Unbelieveable that that's what it took to simply cancel an internet service. But AOL is losing customers like there's no tomorrow and is very desperate to keep all they have.

On 2005-03-31 09:14, Tiki-bot wrote:
Yes, indeed, AOL has some very Mafia-like tactics to keep you from leaving "the family". A friend tried quitting the service a few years ago and they nickel and dimed him with tiny new charges in order to keep him officially on the service until he paid every last cent.

I've actually had the opposite experience with them - they keep on giving me virtual bribes to keep on going. Perhaps that's a new tactic they are trying out in the US, so will look out for it next time I renew.
Yeah, good advice above - I just use them to get onto broadband and use other browsers once I'm on the internet. My wife does enjoy dancing to the AOL radio stations tho'.....

Trader Woody

Ive been cleaning up my computer recently and getting rid of the programs I don't use.
I installed AOL for the internet while I was waiting for Broad band and I can't get rid of this stupid green box/companion thing when I start my computer.
Even in Add/remove Programs AOL won't completely disappear and when I got rid of some of it it gave up adamn good fight! WTF!

T

On 2005-04-01 09:20, cheekytiki wrote:
I can't get rid of this stupid green box/companion thing when I start my computer.
Even in Add/remove Programs AOL won't completely disappear and when I got rid of some of it it gave up adamn good fight! WTF!

If you have XP or 98. START\RUN in the box type msconfig and hit OK. Go to Startup and see if the companian is there, take the checkmark off of it. Then in XP also choose services, select hide all M$ services, see if there are any AOL related programs there remove there checkmarks and apply/OK restart when it says selective startuop say don't show me again and ok and it should at least no be running at startup from that point on. whew.

Pages: 1 9 replies