Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Aquanic Tiki's...(Can't think of a better title.)

Pages: 1 6 replies

First off, I’d like to express my hatred of AOL! Every time I am just about to hit that damn send button, it’ll boot me off.

(I’m wondering how many members will view this post based on the subject title…)

Anyway, for my question:
Does anyone here have any working knowledge of fountains? Anyone experimented with lava rock?

I am wanting to build a cool waterfall fountain with tikis poking out here and there out of the water and foliage.

For those of you with limited imagination, please turn in your BOT to page 66 and look at the upper left corner of the page. See? Yes…that is what I’m thinking of.

This fountain may possibly be outdoors, but will most likely be on an enclosed patio.

Ironically, there is a large lava rock sitting next to my patio. Perhaps the previous owners had a similar idea and just ran out of steam.

I’m just wondering if anyone here has worked with lava rock… (how hard is it to get, expense, etc.)
And, if anyone has actually built a working fountain in their “tiki area”.

Any and all replies are, as always, greatly appreciated.

-C.

:sheckymug:

T

I've build a indoor tiki, with a small waterfall coming out of his mouth for Trader Joes in Orange (in Orange County, California) - don't know if it's still there.... Twas pretty amaturish stuff - and dealing with the water was a bit of a nightmare - but I'm sure you could achieve something close to what you want via supplies at Home Depot.
Looking at page 66 of BOT - I think it would be a matter of stacking several small pond/waterfall systems, then covering the whole thing in stacked chunks of lava rock...
Making your own simple waterfall pond is not that difficult these days - adding lava rock may only be a step above that...
Good luck!

TK

I have built a couple of fountains, and the main things I learned were 1. sealing the thing so that it does not "weep" (concreat is pourous) and 2. getting a pump rated for the height and water volume you are working with. Fountain pumps only pump up to a certain height, so make sure you check that out.

We built a rock waterfall using lava rock in our backyard tiki garden this summer. It's still not quite finished, yet, as there are some level "issues" and landscaping. I will post pics when it's finally done.

Sunset has a good book on building waterfalls and ponds which I used for some guidelines and i recommend it. But they do add some complicated mechanical details sometimes that may make it seem a little overwhelming.

Everyone told us to use the pre-formed plastic shells available at your local hardware store, but we opted for the old fashioned free form concrete and rock.

We built 3 river-like concrete basins and used a product called Thoroughseal (a plastic-like cement) to seal the concrete. Then decorated with lava rocks over that. The biggest issue I have had building waterfalls and fountains, especially one of this size is getting the water that is pumping out of the pump to fall evenly from one pond to another without overflowing the upper ponds before spilling to the lower ponds.

H

Hey 75stingray - years ago, my goofy father who I love very very much but only gives me useless gifts gave me one of these:

I've had it sitting in a box because I didn't know what to do with it, but you've inspired me! I can tart it up with a bunch of fake foliage and little tikis, and it shall be reborn. Hallelujah!

Hey, thanks for the replies!

Tangaroa: I was worried about using lava because I thought it was too pourous. (sp) I guess it could be re-enforced with something. And we have talked about using those plastic pond kits from Lowes. I'd rather have a lap pool, but I'm sure that is a little too much to ask for. Perhaps I should stick with the plastic pond idea.

TikiKing: Yeah, I know about the different pumps. Learned that working a short undercover assignment at a big Pet / Pond internet catalog place. But yeah, I'd have to get one of those decent "industrial" sized pumps.

Futura Girl: PLEASE post some pics! I'd love to see 'em!

Hum: Ha! I've got one similar to that and I've never opened it either. I did, however, make my own using shells I had picked up when I worked in Myrtle Beach & the Gulf Coast. It is in a small rounded bowl and the hose is hidden to make it look as if water is coming out of a medium sized conch shell onto the others. It's tranquil and quiet in my little tiki room as I'm reading.
I think one like yours would be really fantastic with a small tiki or two.
Those fountains are great for the home or office and people with imaginations can really liven them up to suit their own taste.

Thanks again! I appreciate your replies.
-C.
:sheckymug:

We built an outdoor pond last year, it is just a baby pond. Now of course we are ready for a bigger project. But it was really easy, we did cheat and use the pre-formed plastic molds, but they make the job so easy and it was our first time!
The worst part of the whole project was putting an electrical socket outdoors and making 3 trips to Pebble Junction to buy the rocks. We used Grey Featherock. Featherock is from California and is so easy to work with, really easy to shape and super light weight. Volcanic Origin. Looks similar to lava rock if you wanted to use the piece you have and mix. We liked it and it was less expensive then Lava Rock, you might want to check it out. Only negative is wear gloves, It will tear your hands up! It cost us about 125.00 for all the rocks, I can't remember how much it was per pound, but cheap.
Sorry if the picture is to big, I don't know how to resize it.

Pages: 1 6 replies