Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Custom Built Bar w/pics: My LikiTiki Lounge is open!

Pages: 1 11 replies

Z
Zuke posted on Thu, Mar 31, 2005 7:42 AM

The wife and I have traveled on many tropical vacations and collecting up a lot of stuff in anticipation of one day making our own Tiki Bar.

That dream became a reality when we started in on construction of the LIKI TIKI lounge last year about Nov. (2004). We had lived in this house for about a year and part of the reason we chose this house was the basement and how we could envison the bar in there.

After we tore out the old one, we built a basic frame. All throughout, I was digging and digging all over the web to figure out where to buy the materials (bamboo, the grass/thatch, etc.) and this board was a BIG BIG help. I took note of many pics here and got a lot of inspiration from many of you. Even bought some fine Sam Gambino prints from eBay to include in my bartop. (Thanks Sam! :D )

I could go into a long explanation of all the step by step details here, but I already have a photo album WITH lots of running commentary throughout posted at my website...so I'll just direct your attention there. Pics do say a lot more:

The LikiTiki Lounge Photo Album

But I'd love to hear feedback. I don't consider it complete, by any means. I want to continue painting my murals all over the walls and cover every inch. I also want to get a large TIKI idol down there and maybe a small palm tree. I also have a considerable amount of mugs and cups to add. But that'll come in time. My fundage is dried up after the build!!

For now, just doing a lot of imbibing at the Tiki Bar and finishing a lot of murals I started but sort of abondoned for a couple months after we had the "opening". Too many parties of late!

I need to get some updated pics there too of my latest 6 x 4 mural I am close to finishing on the wall. Its some tiki idols sort of "come alive" playing poker and drinking and watching football (my past times).

Aloha! :D

-- Dave/Zuke
My Website: www.spyderz.com

[ Edited by: Zuke on 2005-03-31 07:46 ]

Yes! Excellent! Outstanding job!

No suggestions. Wall color is great, but of course if you have the spare bucks one day maybe some sort of rattan matting instead ... ?

Maybe a tiki mask or two on the front of the bar, midway between the floor and bar top.

Have a piece of glass custom cut for the bar top. Put photos of family and friends under the bar top.

Really not much to add to this bar. It really is a great piece of work. Congratulations!

Z
Zuke posted on Thu, Mar 31, 2005 8:43 AM

On 2005-03-31 08:10, Satan's Sin wrote:
Wall color is great, but of course if you have the spare bucks one day maybe some sort of rattan matting instead ... ?

That was always the plan, actually. Kinda ran out of money to do that too. But some day, I'll probably do that behind the bar in a 10x10 section or so.

Maybe a tiki mask or two on the front of the bar, midway between the floor and bar top.

That's a great idea! I'd like to give a try at carving my own some time too. I've seen quite a bit of posts here. I think that's something I'd like to try. I'm an illustrator by nature, but never tried carving.

Have a piece of glass custom cut for the bar top. Put photos of family and friends under the bar top.

Uhh... I did that. No glass though, I poured a clear lacuer over the pics:

Really not much to add to this bar. It really is a great piece of work. Congratulations!

Thanks!!! I'm very happy with it so far. Very functional. Just want to decor it up even more still. I definitely like your idea about the TIKI mask on the front.

I think it's awesome, Brah! PapeToaWahine and I are in engineering and plan-check for "THE BIG REMODEL OF 2005" as we speak. Our lounge will be smaller, but I hope it comes out as nice as yours. Keep us posted!

We're doing the 10' section behind the bar in some sort of bamboo, rattan, grass-cloth (the area is the back wall of an old closet we're tearing out) I'd like to do ceiling and walls, too - but that old "B-word" ("BUDGET") keeps raising its ugly head.

The bar looks great....makes me thirsty looking at it...

Sweet Job!! Bar looks awesome! Enjoy enjoy enjoy!!

http://bargoyle.yafro.com/

B

Definately an Envious bit of work.
Welcome to Tiki Central. You started off with a bang up job on the bar. Got More pic's? We Love pic's.

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Apr 1, 2005 7:06 AM

Definitely an awesome bar! It has given me some ideas for both the inside and outside bar areas of my house!

Have fun! :drink:

[ Edited by: Jawa on 2005-04-01 07:07 ]

I also want to get a large TIKI idol down there

When you get your "fundage" back in shape get in touch with me... there is a tiki carver right across the border from you. I can whip you up any old size you're looking for.

Nice job on the tropical hideaway! You should be proud!

T

Nice job on the bar. I really like the Bar top job. Welcome to TC

Z
Zuke posted on Wed, Apr 6, 2005 8:35 AM

Thanks everyone. Means a lot to me coming from all of you Tiki Lovers out there. Like I said, I owe a whoel heck of a lot of inspiration to this board.

I definitely will take you up on that offer Lake Surfer. I NEED a big ole Tiki Idol down there. I was thinking of something tall enough that it could act almost as a small end table thing about my bar stool height with a flat head. Something to set snacks on or candles.

If I can win some money at poker in the next few weeks, I will indeed contact you on that!! Dead serious.

Once there's money back in the account, I also need to get out to a tiki night some time. I hear there's quite a scene at Trader Vic's once a month out here.

Mahalo

T

Cool bar. I did same thing to my bar outside. Getting ready to build my second poker table, same concept. Both pics online

Pages: 1 11 replies