Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hawaii Kai in Arlington Texas

Pages: 1 2 replies

Back in the 70's in Arlington Texas there was a water/sea park called 7 Seas that was pretty cool but ran into some hard times and changed over to the Hawaii Kai for the last couple of years of the 70's. I remember going several times but web info is scarce. Has anybody else run into stuff from this last Tiki stand of days of yore?

I stumbled onto an auction for a "Hawaii Kai" amusement park mug. The "Hawaii in Texas" statement caught my eye.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Defunct-Seven-Seas-Amusement-Park-Hawaii-Kai-Show-Souvenir-Glass-Arlington-Texas/382589054377?hash=item591415ada9:g:EnQAAOSwOYRbwB-B:rk:32:pf:0

I hadn't heard of it before, so did a tiny bit of research and learned that the city of Arlington opened the Seven Seas Marine Life Park in 1972.

Banking on the success of nearby Six Flags, the mayor who was looking to bring a major league baseball team to Arlington figured his marine and animal themed park would produce revenue for the city. But it never caught on. Ideas to convert it to a wet n wild water park fizzled and by 1976 it was renamed Hawaii Kai and a troupe of dancers was brought in, along with several dolphins and sea lions.

It closed shortly after and the land now houses a Sheraton Hotel and other properties that date back to the Seven Seas days. Will have to scout the property next time I get up to 4 Kahunas.

TR

that looks pretty cool never knew about it lived in Texas my whole life

Pages: 1 2 replies