Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

new pix from the upper midwest trip

Pages: 1 5 replies

S
Sabina posted on Sat, Apr 2, 2005 7:07 AM

Just updated my page with some Tiki pictures from our upper midwest trip. I've been putting some of these into the threads they belong on, but here's the full update-

http://www.sevenpleasures.org/

just enter and scroll down to the new albums;

The Kahiki Outlet store in Columbus, Ohio.

A Gallery from the Wisconsin Dells that includes-

1. The Polynesian Resort (now there are Tikis! Sorta...)

2. The Aloha Beach Resort and Suites

3. A Days Inn and BP gas station with interesting architecture

4. and snapshots from around town

Another album from Trader Vic's, Chicago IL

and finally an album from Lotus Garden, Greenwood, Indiana

Enjoy.

I

Going through the Wisconsin Dells area in the winter months is a real trip - it is like a modern era ghost town, with all the touristy places all closed up, and the gray skies and snow on the ground. Far different than the summer months, when the town is booming and all lit up.

I have a record LP that ties in Polynesian with Wisconsin Dells - a Samoan musician named Doug Alii formed a Polynesian Revue that performed at some of the resorts in the Dells, along with some of the Vegas hotels - the liner notes say he is considered the Samoan Sammy Davis Jr. I found this autographed LP in a Wisconsin Dells thriftstore - it is perhaps the only Samoan record that has both 'Songs of the Islands' and 'Dells of Wisconsin' ..... proving definite linkage between the two cultures

I'm hoping to spend a few days in the Dells area, in conjunction function with the Chicago Exotica event in July. After years of having no money as a kid during our one-day family vacations there as a kid, I'm hoping to reverse that situation and be a tourist glutton now that I am able to.

Vern

Sabina.....those are great pics from your tiki ventures. It makes me want to visit some of the places I haven't seen before. Thanks for sharing them!

TT

Cool pics. My wife and I have stop at the Dells just about every time we go to Chicago. Very different from when I was a kid, but you still can get lucky with some good Tiki finds there. If you like old 50's-60's motels, they still have about ten or so left.

E

We were just at the Kahiki plant last weekend and they have added rocks around the base of the fountain to hide the base. The foutain was not working that day due to some leakage. We found the staff to be quite friendly, and gave us a tip that they were going to be coming out with some differant mugs soon.

Love those craved bamboo hanging lights! Sure wish they would have sold me one. I had to be contented with buying some of each of their mugs that they had out. I found their prices to be very reasonable.

We ran into some guys from FL. who were up checking the place out too. Looks like alot of us still flock there for something other than the frozen food.(which did look pretty yummy by the pictures on the bags)

[ Edited by: exotica59 on 2005-04-04 07:22 ]

On 2005-04-02 07:07, Sabina wrote:
and finally an album from Lotus Garden, Greenwood, Indiana

Too bad the bar wasn't open, they do mix some nice strong drinks there.

edit: I just read your post in Locating Tiki & realized that you could get into the bar, just not the main dining room. There's no Tiki in the main dining room except for just at the entrance, but those Moai railing supports on the bridge at the entrance are pretty cool!

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-04-04 12:30 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies