Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hinano Available In California

Pages: 1 15 replies

Just wanted to give you guys the heads up but Hinano Beer from Tahiti is once again available in California. BevMo has a bunch and can be ordered online. Just in Time for Summer.

Andy you're awesome! Here it is & I'll be picking mine up on the way home from work tomorrow. It's been ten years since I tasted one of these. Thanks again!

A-A

It's been since DoctorZ's last party since I've had one. Before that I would pick it up at HiTime Cellars near my house. I noticed that all the times that I did find it, all of the bottles in stock were at or past the printed expiration date. It still tasted fine, but I wonder if there really is a "fresher" taste with an earlier expiration date. I believe I heard somewhere (here?) that Hinano takes awhile to get here to the states and that's why the beer always seems to be expired. Fact or fiction?

There is something really wild and wacky about drinking a beer that came all the way from Tahiti, if you're a good distance away from Tahiti. I had a few of these some months ago, and I thought it tasted rather nice.

TB

On 2005-04-05 10:00, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
... I noticed that all the times that I did find it, all of the bottles in stock were at or past the printed expiration date. It still tasted fine, but I wonder if there really is a "fresher" taste with an earlier expiration date. I believe I heard somewhere (here?) that Hinano takes awhile to get here to the states and that's why the beer always seems to be expired. Fact or fiction?

A beer will definitely taste better the sooner you drink the beer after it has been bottled. After the expiration date is past the beer starts to degrade slowly over months (depending on the temp there stored in). As far as i know Hinano is still bottle in Tahiti, so travel time would be a factor on the freshness of the beer. For more info on Hinano goto

http://www.hinano.com/index.php

TBird.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bird on 2005-04-06 09:58 ]

This new shipment is dated Januay 2006 so it has some time. The older shipments went first to Hawaii and then to California. These came direclty from slow boat from Tahiti. They do taste much better in Tahiti but they are just as good here.

T

Went friday after work to the Beverages & More store in Brea to get some. They had a lot on there, but the girl told me it goes pretty quick, so I got 2 six-packs to start(didn't want to buy too much since i haven't had it before, but now I wish I had gotten more). Pretty good stuff!

This beer was served in the Rincon Room a couple of days ago. We remembered this post and checked the expiration date. Unfortunately, I don't remember the specific date, but do recall that it was indeed fresh and would be for some time, FYI.

TB

Hey Floratina, I brought a sixer to bongos party, & its date went into 2006. The beer was in great shape. I picked up a case of it myself.

TBird.

I had a bottle to accompany my lunch today at Bristol Farms Pasadena. Whether it's bottled in HI or Tahiti, it still has its magic --I was transported back to Tahiti where the women are topless.

My wife & I first tried Hinano in Tahiti 12 years ago on our honeymoon, but could never find it when we got back stateside. Suddenly about a year ago Hinano was easily found at Bevmo - for a while... They never seem to have it any more. What happened?

M

If it didn't sell at your location, the manager probably took it out of rotation. Ask them- they can get it for you.

Distributed by Young's Market in Northern California, possibly the same in So Cal as well.

MG

I got some at Henry's Market in San Diego. I've seen it at a few other places too. Wahoo's Fish Tacos had it, not sure if they still do or not.

I get mine at da BevMo... Love da BevMo.
Aloha,
:tiki:

A

So I was at BevMo yesterday and noticed that they had Hinano -- but at $9.69 a six-pack it didn't seem worth it. It's an OK beer, but you can certainly buy a lot better beer for less money.

Then on the next aisle I found Maui Brewing had FOUR-packs of CANS for $11.00!!! What the hell!?

Ya... I've been hearing hops are getting expensive. I've noticed that most beer I buy has gone up about $1.50 - $2.00 a six pack.

Pages: 1 15 replies