Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

April 6th is Tartan Day

Pages: 1 22 replies

Ach, Cheers Jimmy... In 1320 Robert the Bruce penned the Declaration of Arbroath.
This declaration was seldom brought to anyone's attention outside of Scotland for several hundred years, until some trouble makers used it as a model for the Declaration of Independence. (of which 22 of the signors were Scots)

Hoist a dram of somthing made of Barley, and if you are of Scots background tell us how it's ruined your life. (or at least your abilty to tan)

The Declaration of Arbroath has been argued to amount to a declaration of Scottish independence, and sets out to justify Scotland's history as an independent kingdom and its use of military action when unjustly attacked. It is in the form of a letter submitted to Pope John XXII, dated 6 April 1320. Sealed by fifty-one magnates and nobles, the letter is the sole survivor of three created at the time. The others were a letter from the king and a letter from the clergy which all presumably made similar points.

The Declaration made a number of much-debated rhetorical points: that Scotland had always been independent, indeed for longer than England, that Edward I of England had unjustly attacked Scotland and perpetrated atrocities, that Robert I of Scotland had delivered the Scottish nation from this peril, and, most controversially, that the independence of Scotland was more important to the Scots than the King of Scots. In fact it stated that the nobility would chose someone else to be king if the current one did anything to threaten Scotland's independence. While often interpreted as an early expression of 'popular sovereignty' – that kings could be chosen by the population rather than by God alone – it can also be argued to have been a means of passing the responsibility for disobeying papal commands from the king to the people. In other words, Robert I was arguing that he was forced to fight an illegal war (as far as the pope was concerned) or face being deposed.

Written in Latin, it is believed to have been drafted by Bernard, abbot of Arbroath (often identified as Bernard de Linton, although his surname is unknown), who was the Chancellor of Scotland at the time. While dated to 6 April 1320 at Arbroath Abbey, there was in fact no meeting of nobles there by whom the document was drafted. Instead the document may have been discussed at a council meeting at Newbattle in March 1320 (although firm evidence for such a debate is lacking). Abroath was simply the location of the royal chancery (in other words Abbot Bernard's writing office), and the date provides evidence only for his part in proceedings. The seals of eight earls and as many as forty-one other Scottish nobles were appended to to the document, probably over the space of some weeks and months, with nobles sending in their seals to be used, perhaps under some duress. It has been argued that this resentment played a role in the Soules Conspiracy to overthrow Robert I later in 1320. The Declaration was then taken to the papal court at Avignon.

The Pope seems to have paid some heed to the arguments contained by the declaration, although its contemporary influence should not be overstated. It was in part due to his intervention that a short-lived peace treaty between Scotland and England, the Treaty of Northampton, renouncing all English claims to Scotland, was finally signed by the English king, Edward III, on the 1 March 1328.

The original copy of the Declaration that was sent to Avignon is lost. However a file copy has been maintained by the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh. The most widely known English translation was created by Sir James Fergusson, formerly Keeper of the Records of Scotland, from text that he reconstructed using this extant copy and early copies of the original draft. One passage in particular is often quoted from the Fergusson translation:

...for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Other Historical Highlights for Today:

• 402 - Stilicho stymies the Visigoths under Alaric in the Battle of Pollentia
  • 1199 - King Richard I of England, died (b. 1157)
  • 1483 - Rafael, Italian painter and architect, is Born
  • 1520 - Rafael, Italian painter and architect, died
  • 1804 - The first scientifically recorded meteor lands in Possil, in north Glasgow, Scotland. Until this time meteors were believed to be scientifically impossible, since they would have to fly through the celestial spheres, which everyone knew to be made of the purest chrystal.
  • 1866 - Butch Cassidy, outlaw, is Born (d. 1909)
  • 1884 - Walter Huston, Academy Award winning actor, father of John Huston, Grandfather of Anjelica Huston, most famous for his supporting role in * The Treasure of the Sierra Madre*, is Born (d. 1950)
  • 1886 - Vancouver, British Columbia is incorporated as a city. It'll be 75 years before Trader Vic's opens a branch there.
  • 1896 - In Athens, the opening of the first modern Olympic Games after 1,500 years after being banned by Roman Emperor Theodosius I.
  • 1926 - Gil Kane, cartoonist, is Born (d. 2000)
  • 1927 - Gerry Mulligan, Jazz musician, is Born (d. 1996)
  • 1930 - Hostess Twinkies are invented.
  • 1965 - Frank Black, a.k.a Charles Thompson, singer, songwriter, is Born (Pixies)
  • 1968 - In London, United Kingdom, Massiel wins the thirteenth Eurovision Song Contest for Spain singing "La, la, la".
  • 1973 - Launch of Pioneer 11 spacecraft.
  • 1974 - In Brighton, United Kingdom, ABBA wins the nineteenth Eurovision Song Contest for Sweden singing "Waterloo".
  • 1992 - Isaac Asimov, scientist, Science Fiction/Fiction/Mystery/Science author, polymath, died of complications from an AIDS infection he received from a blood transfusion during open heart surgery (b. 1920)

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-04-06 10:12 ]

S

Arg! It has NOT ruined my life!

I am of the Gordon Clan. My family name is Eady. My grandfather was the first generation on my mother's side of the family to be born in the US.

I am thrilled about the fact the my husband (yes, Sparky) has ordered a kilt of his own clan that is nearly finished and ready to be shipped to us from Scotland. I can't wait to see him in it!

:D
Suzanne

TT

1st generation, Dad was from Nova Scotia, we are in the MacMillan Clan, Dad was a red head, Mom light strawberry, I am not fair skinned, I am almost clear.

D

Bohannon clan. Transparent and full of freckles! Melatonin is way overrated.
Well... from what I here :(

Hail, Suzanne, lassie, my cousin!
Gordon clan here myself (as well as Buchanan)!
Wish I'd known about this this AM - I'd have worn me kilt!

I put out a platter of shortbread with a little blurb about why. I dubt if my co-workers read past the word Shortbread.

Tartan Day festivities are actually growing in popularity here, as are Highland Games and thier unsavory cousings Ren-Faires.

The Gordons are a splendid clan, and one to be proud of. In Scotland, regiments were often paid for by clans rather than a Government. This is why Cammeron, Mongomerie, and Gordon are not just large family clans, but military regiments as well (@1880s for the Gordons)

There is a Gordon Setter, which is popular with your kinsmen. Looks like a black and tan Irish Setter that's been to the gym.

Were there any quirks that you think are particular to Scots that you came away with?

Thrifty? Thirsty? Forced Edcuation? No Sharing of feelings? Forced calvanistic ethics? Non conforming? inventive?

D

If I understand it right, Buchanan is the same as Bohannon. Kind of like a "you say pototo and I say potahto" deal.

The Buchanan were a large and powerful clan. Within those sorts of clans were "Septs" which could be like co-operating tribes, or sometimes actual confederations who worked together to fight a common neighbor.

In the US there most clans have societies which you can join. In the East it's more active than out here. If you showed the slightest interest, they would be thrilled, but be warned...if you join there will be people wanting you to march in parades and work shifts in tents.

On 2005-04-07 00:09, Gigantalope wrote:
Were there any quirks that you think are particular to Scots that you came away with?

Thrifty? Thirsty? Forced Edcuation? No Sharing of feelings? Forced calvanistic ethics? Non conforming? inventive?
Ay, thrifty I am, despite the occasional tiki mug buying spree :wink:. I am quite the Scot in this department, though; few can stretch a dollar better. I draw the line at serving haggis, however.

Thirsty? Well, there are many thirstier than me at Tiki events, but I've been known to drink my share when called upon to do so. (A true Scot wouldn't need an excuse, though, so I'm not very Scottish here.)

Forced education? Well, I'm a teacher!

No sharing of feelings? Lost that one on the boat trip to the Americas, apparently.

Calvinistic, yes, but more a 4-point than a 5-point Calvinist (not so sure about the "L" of "TULIP" - the Limited atonement part).

Non-conformist and inventive: as much as the next person on this board!

So yes, I'd have to say despite the centuries that my family has been here (yes, DAR), I still hold many of my Scottish roots' traits.

UB
M

I'm fully Irish myself, but live in a small Scottish town in Florida (Tampa Bay area) named Dunedin, which is what the Scots called Edinburgh before those Brits got a hold of it. Our Highland games are this weekend for any locals...
http://www.dunedinhighlandgames.com/
Oh, and I tan just fine. My wife, on the other hand, says she is "fish belly white".

Mahalomo, a friend of mine (with her cousin and her cousin's husband) will be at that very game with the sword of Wallace.

Quite the big occasion doncha know. I guess the paperwork to get the actual claymore out of Scotland was daunting...That's great, I hope you get a chance to go, and it goes without sayin' te 'ave a wee dram.

So much of the stuff there is so damn pricey with the weak dollar...I feel bad for people with kids.

I'm A McDougall and Scottish all the way through.

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Apr 8, 2005 12:13 PM

On 2005-04-06 18:51, DawnTiki wrote:

Dawn, I think you mean melanin :wink: Melatonin is the sleepy-time chemical...

Since this is the bilge, I might as well spout off some info I learned during my anatomy class this semester:
Freckles are actually melanin deposits from overactive melanocyte cells that are not dispersed through the epidermis by the little melanocyte "tentacles". So Dawn, you actually have plenty of melanin...it just doesn't disperse.

(Today's secret word is melanocyte, and you know what to do when anyone says the secret word right? :wink:)

McGowan, Stuart & Robb on my Mum's side.
Hay(Welsh), Whitbread(English) & Thomson on the other.

All of my grandparents were born in the UK.

My Great Uncle,Robert Burns Thomson Whitbread died a few years back - he was the last to have Burns in there. My Uncle Bob is still around, but he's just Robert Whitbread.

I married a Thomson, but I think our kids'll turn out ok. :wink:

My Dad and I are really cheap, always looking to get a deal, but when it comes to family and friends money doesn't matter.

I have lots of relatives over in Glasgow that I'd like to visit. They've been here within the last few years, such a nice clan.

Something I just remembered, my Dad's cousin on the Hay side organizes this crazy event where you light a barrel of tar on fire and carry it around between different pubs! I think I saw it on tv once. Looked pretty dangerous! I hope they don't make me do that if I go for a visit!

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2005-04-08 12:20 ]

On 2005-04-08 12:13, Jawa wrote:

On 2005-04-06 18:51, DawnTiki wrote:

Dawn, I think you mean melanin :wink: Melatonin is the sleepy-time chemical...

Since this is the bilge, I might as well spout off some info I learned during my anatomy class this semester:
Freckles are actually melanin deposits from overactive melanocyte cells that are not dispersed through the epidermis by the little melanocyte "tentacles". So Dawn, you actually have plenty of melanin...it just doesn't disperse.

(Today's secret word is melanocyte, and you know what to do when anyone says the secret word right? :wink:)

Win a Prize?

melanocyte!

I have lots of freckles all over my arms, and my Dad is covered in them.

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Apr 8, 2005 12:32 PM

Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!

S

On 2005-04-06 18:58, Formikahini wrote:
Hail, Suzanne, lassie, my cousin!
Gordon clan here myself (as well as Buchanan)!
Wish I'd known about this this AM - I'd have worn me kilt!

Aye, Bydand! The Gordons!

I didn't know it was Tartan Day either. But I shall for next year! My most recent encounter with a Gordon was (believe it or not) when I was singing in the opera Lucia di Lammermoor (convienently set in Scotland) and the sole pure blooded Scotswoman was one of the supernumeraries, and when I asked after her clan, 'Gordon' came the answer. Cousins everywhere in such a large clan, tho :D It was cool.

I hope we can meet via a Tiki adventure somewhere and share a wee dram :D

Suzanne

D

Jawa wrote:

Dawn, I think you mean melanin

snicker...I didn't think melatonin sounded quite right either. :D

Jawa wrote:

So Dawn, you actually have plenty of melanin...it just doesn't disperse.

Well CRAP!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-04-08 14:00 ]

M

On 2005-04-07 20:01, Gigantalope wrote:
Mahalomo, a friend of mine (with her cousin and her cousin's husband) will be at that very game with the sword of Wallace.

Quite the big occasion doncha know. I guess the paperwork to get the actual claymore out of Scotland was daunting...That's great, I hope you get a chance to go, and it goes without sayin' te 'ave a wee dram.

So much of the stuff there is so damn pricey with the weak dollar...I feel bad for people with kids.

I plan on being there. I'll now be on the lookout for the blade of Wallace, and will of course involve myself in a bit of An Dram Buidheach. Thanks for the heads up.

My pal with actually just wrote me and won't be there due to a death, but her cousin will be with the Blade. I guess it's been in NYC since April 6th on display.

Speaking of which...other days to remember that are BIG Scots festivities are

St Andrews Day (Nov 30)

New years (Called Hogmany) of course that's Jan 1st, except in the Shetlands,where it's in late january (Norse Cal)

Burns Night (January 25th)

I guess boxing day is one too, but that's all over the UK.

Pages: 1 22 replies