Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

It never rains in sunny southern California

Pages: 1 5 replies

NN2

Last year I convinced my wife that we needed to move the tiki bar from an outside patio to somewhere inside so we could enjoy it year round. After a lot of discussion we moved her office into our bedroom and the tiki room doubled in size. Unfortunately we had almost record breaking rain this winter and a leak caused the ceiling to collapse in the bar. But that only means we can rebuild her bigger, better, and stronger.
Before:

After:

OUCH!!! Lived here 48 years - never saw a deluge like that, either! Hopefully, the rain gods are done for a spell. We're due to tear off the entire back of our house and a goodly portion of the roof for remodeling May 1st (usually a safe time, after the mythical "April Showers") - and - another badly-timed downpour could be ruinous!

Great looking bar, my friend... hope you get it all ship-shape in record time!

My goodness! I'm sorry about your water troubles!
Great looking bar, and good job with the wife persuasion! I'm creeping tiki into all areas of the home, and with hubby away 6-8 months of the year, there isn't a darn thing he can do about it! :wink: MUHAHAHA!!

Until the Huki Lounge is built, the living room is the temporary collection area. It's difficult not being able to go all out and decorate to the teeth. That makes visiting other home bars and establishments even more inspiring to me! Are you going to thatch the ceiling? Maybe add some bamboo poles? Tapa design maybe? Or what about a night sky? Can't wait to see everything ship-shape again!

On 2005-04-08 11:41, Tikiwahine wrote:

I'm creeping tiki into all areas of the home

The same has happened to me.

Maybe add bamboo blinds instead of the vertical blinds?

Hey, you ain't alone bruddah. I have a tiki bar on my patio too. There's about two feet of brick around the the bottom and the upper roof is supported by 4 x 4's. I screened it in but it don't keep out da water. I installed hooks w/ keepers around the top, got some of the heavy blue plastic (like da kine you cover your boat with), put gromits in both sides and hung the top from the hooks and ran rope through the bottom and tied it off at the sides. Just when I thought everything was tight...oops the roof is startin' to leak. Now I know why I drink so many Mai Tais.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2005-04-09 19:49 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies