Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New (old) tiki bar find in Quebec - Le Luau

Pages: 1 12 replies

T

I think I hit upon a place no one has seen yet - not in our circles anyway, except for maybe John Trvisonno - it's called Le Luau and it is in St-Adele, Quebec.

I found it BY ACCIDENT when I picked up the local french language newspaper and struggled through it to find some flea market info - only to find Le Luau ("cuisine chinoise et exotique depuis 1973") was the topic of the restaurant review this month! HOORAY!

IT's pretty damn cool too, for a joint in a one horse town like St-Adele. I'll post pics in a day or 2...

Doez it 'ave Les Tikis? And what aboud ze coktelles?
Pepe Le Piu

T

It has a small asortment of tikis... and ze cocktails - well the menu is still authentic 1973, and I ordered a coco something in a coconut mug with an umbrella. You can also get drinks in pineapples. They have plenty of blowfish lamps and glass floats... and the bar is 50's cool personified. Tomorrow I will post 'les pics' for all to see, if I am not too busy at work..

T

Sorry it took me so long! Here's some pics of Le Luau!

The front door of Le Luau

The obligatory wee bridge and fountain

Tiki avec geranium (?!!)

Le menu

I saw these masks advertised in a Palley's ad from the 60's that I had as "African Masks". Pretty cool nonetheless

The cocktail menu evidently hasn't changed since Nixon was prez!

Blowfish chandelier?

The very swanky bar! Dig that lighting.

Weird! Judging from the wall treatments and the red brick lined windows, it looks like before it became "Le Luau", it might have been "El Toro" or something Spanish...

Weird! Judging from the wall treatments and the red brick lined windows, it looks like before it became "Le Luau", it might have been "El Toro" or something Spanish...

T

That was the conclusion we came to as well, Ithought it had a definite Moorish/Spanish conquistador chic thing going on - wwith the stucco walls and curved doorways. Still, it works. We must still explore the unexplored link between conquistador chic and polynesian pop - could it be that both used black velvet as canvases extensively?

Ole!
Ole-ha?
ALOHA!!!

T

Wow - what a unique find.... It does have a bit of that Mexican Restaurant ambience tho...

T

Oh, you California people are so SPOILED!!!
You don't know what it's like up here - that's the best I've got besides the Jardin Tiki!

T

I liked the pictures. Perhaps the Venetian plaster walls were created to give a sort of rough walled Volcano vibe. Nice find Fishsticks, It's much more impressive than Chin Tiki's. I was considering a visit to the Chin bar myself since I live about 50 miles north of Detroit, but after reading your review I decided to save myself the trip.

B

Very Cool!!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-17 17:37 ]

Nice bump Fil/. I missed this post altogether.

Pages: 1 12 replies