Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Haole Kats April 24th at Florida Collectibles & Vintage Memorabilia Show - Sunken Gardens

Pages: 1 8 replies

It's definite! The Haole Kats will be playing for us at The Florida Collectibles & Vintage Memorabilia Show! The post on this event was made a few days ago under "Beyond Tiki" but here's the updated info, with complete press release at bottom.

The Florida Collectibles & Vintage Memorabilia Show will be held on Sunday, April 24, 2005 at Sunken Gardens in St. Petersburg. It's exclusively vintage Florida, and just like our Retro-Rama and Collecto-Rama shows, there are always finds to be had related to TIKI (a little Tiki Gardens here, a mug there, here a tiki, there a tiki.....). Just got off the phone with Josh, and it's a definite - The Haole Kats will be playing our event! Come on out and shake those hula hips! We are definitely going to shake things up at Sunken Gardens, and bring in a crowd like in the old heyday of the 40's and 50's, when often over a thousand people a day visited the beautful Sunken Gardens. This very special event has the premier dealers of vintage Floridiana, plus authors, a lecturer, and...Mermaids! We're thrilled that Tiki-Bree will be serving as one of the Mermaids (she's absolutely gorgeous sans tail, so we can only imagine what the mermaid effect will be!), plus we have a least a half-dozen former mermaids and mermen attending. Stephen and I are working with the Tampa Tribune on a major feature article about collecting and decorating with vintage Floridiana, just did the photo shoot last week, and it should run in the Trib's Home section on Saturday April 16th as a preview to this event. Please email me directly with any questions on the show, our shop, or whatever...I'll also be checking back regularly for posts here. For all who want to be on our regular email list for the Retro-Rama, Collecto-Rama, and the other events we run, email me at [email protected]. Thanks, Annette (Hula Hula...A Retro-Tropical Department Store, 341 Corey Avenue, St. Pete Beach, FLA 33707, 727-363-4852 - island-style hours). Here's all the details on the show:

FLORIDA COLLECTIBLES & VINTAGE MEMORABILIA SHOW APRIL 24TH AT HISTORIC SUNKEN GARDENS IN ST. PETERSBURG

Looking for authentic old Florida photographs and Highwaymen paintings? Perhaps some Flamingo figurines or Alligator souvenirs to add to your collection? How about a 1920's lamp made from coconuts and palm fronds? On Sunday, April 24th, from 10:00am to 5:00pm, the Florida Collectibles & Vintage Memorabilia Show will be held at the historic Sunken Gardens in St. Petersburg, Florida. The Gulf Coast's only show/sale of exclusively vintage Floridiana will feature exhibitors with everything from roadside attraction kitsch to premier Florida decor. This unique show will offer visitors a nostalgic trip back in time as they browse the exhibitors booths filled with some of the finest selection of vintage, collectible Floridiana, including: old Florida postcards, books, crate labels and license plates; coconut and palm frond lamps; paintings from The Highwaymen and tinted photographs from Barnhill and Harris; kitschy roadside attraction souvenirs; old cigar industry paraphernalia and much more...all for sale. Included in the impressive line-up of Floridiana exhibitors are some of the leading experts and authors in the field, including Larry Roberts, author of Florida's Golden Age of Souvenirs: 1890-1930 and Dr. Alfred Frankel, author of Old Florida Pottery/Potters in Paradise: The Collectors Guide.

Several special attractions are planned for the day. You want some music with your vintage coconut and palm frond ashtray stand? We've got The Haole Kats playing! Dreaming since childhood of meeting a real live mermaid, one with a gorgeous tail? For those fans of Weeki Wachee and mermaids, enjoy a sneak-peek benefit preview of the documentary film "Once a Mermaid…Tails of Weeki Wachee," including archival footage recounting the history of Weeki Wachee and old mermaid shows. A small contribution for the preview is suggested to support the filmmaker's completion of this fascinating film "tail." Several former mermaids will be in attendance, and "The Mertailor Eric Ducharme" will be on hand for consult and custom design of your very own mermaid - or merman - attire. A lecturer on paintings of the Florida Highwaymen and the work of other Florida artists will be giving several talks during the day, recounting the history of The Highwaymen and giving an introduction to this highly collectible field. The public is invited to bring their vintage Florida art to the show for a free verbal appraisal.

Sunken Gardens botanical park is located at 1825 4th Street North in St. Petersburg, Florida. Admission to the indoors Florida Collectibles Show is $5, children under 2 years $3. Yes, we do charge for the kids, regardless of whether they're held or in a stroller. It's simply not a kid event, in that the dealers are bringing their BEST vintage Floridiana collectibles and many things are BREAKABLE. A discounted combination ticket is available for those who want to also visit the outdoors botanical gardens, $10.00 adults, a little less for the kids. For show info, call 727-363-4852 or email [email protected]. Find us and say Aloha when you're there - sometimes we get a little caught up in the event and don't get a chance to greet everyone!

Florida Collectibles & Vintage Memorabilia Show, Sunday, April 24th, 2005 at Sunken Gardens!

[ Edited by: Ms. Hula Hula on 2005-04-09 12:12 ]

P
pablus posted on Sat, Apr 9, 2005 8:38 PM

I've been going to Sunken Gardens since I was a mere lad of 6.

To see the Kats there would give the place a whole new tropical vibe. Count me in.

M

I think my wife and I will drag along my mom to the show. She'll be in town that weekend visiting.

As an aside, for anyone in the area that dives, take a day and dive Weeki Wachee Springs and catch the mermaid show there - still going strong. Certainly one of the most far-out underwater experiences out there.

(p.s. - hulahula - We saw a postcard advertisment for this Show at a local shop in Dunedin and my wife picked it up. Great advertising for the event!)

[ Edited by: mahalomo on 2005-04-10 15:58 ]

Mahalomo, Since all of the Haole Kats live in and around the area (Mad Beach,St. Pete, Safety Harbor) Make sure you stop by and say hello to us at the gig. Nice to know there are Tiki Brethern so close by.
Aloha

On 2005-04-11 09:32, Whollycat wrote:
Mahalomo, Since all of the Haole Kats live in and around the area (Mad Beach,St. Pete, Safety Harbor) Make sure you stop by and say hello to us at the gig. Nice to know there are Tiki Brethern so close by.
Aloha

Will do.
Thanks much for the hospitality.

J
Jawa posted on Mon, Apr 11, 2005 12:47 PM

Wow, something happening right in my own backyard, lol!

My wife and I are definitely in for this, hope to see some fellow TC'ers there.

We are so excited! Many, many thanks to all the TCers who have emailed us about the show. It's going to be fabulous. We hope everyone will take advantage of the discounted combo ticket too, so that they can enjoy the beautiful gardens in addition to the indoor Florida Collectibles Show.

We completed the interview details with The Tampa Tribune this morning, and the feature article will appear in the Home section next Saturday, April 16th. Great pics of old Florida stuff, and great publicity for the Florida Collectibles & Vintage Memorabilia Show.

FYI, if anyone's looking for some very cool-kitsch lighting, there will be TWO 1930's cypress knee ceiling chandeliers from the old Moon Lake Gardens & Dude Ranch, a now defunct lodge which was in Pasco County. OK, they're pricy, but absolutely incredible, with true Florida history behind them. Lots of goodies at this show! Be thorough as you browse the dealer booths!

UPDATE: Bay News 9/Jen Holloway interviewed us today about the Florida Collectibles show, the segment should start running within the next few days. I TRIED to get a plug in for The Haole Kats, but the questions were coming at us pretty fast! I apologize to the two TCers who stopped by during the filming and found our doors locked. The shop should be keeping "regular" island-style hours after today.

M

Just wanted to thank all involved in this show - Mrs. Hula Hula and the Kats. I didn't get a chance to say hey, as the place was jam packed when I was there - good turnout. I didn't stay too long - just long enough to buy a few things and check out the gardens. Got me a great "bottoms up" mug with moveable "part".
I did catch the great rendition of Henehene Kou Aka that you guys played along with a few others, and enjoyed them much.
Also walked out with a few nice pieces for my collections.
Thanks again to all. Next time I'll stop by and say hey.
Looking forward to stopping in on your store Mrs. Hula Hula. My wife picked up your card and we'll be calling before too long to check to see if you're in.

[ Edited by: mahalomo on 2005-04-26 18:42 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies