Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

"Real" tiki in the Bahamas?

Pages: 1 16 replies

J
Jawa posted on Tue, Apr 12, 2005 11:24 AM

Hi everyone!

Mrs. Jawa and I are heading to the Bahamas in May for our anniversary, so of course I want to see if anyone here has been there and seen any tiki.

Of course, searching through travel sites, anything with a thatched roof is called a tiki bar or tiki restaurant...so no luck there.

Mahalo! :tiki:

Does the conversation make any sense after I edit this out?

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-02-23 10:34 ]

J
Jawa posted on Wed, Apr 13, 2005 9:09 AM

Yeah, I kinda figured I'd just have to be a rum explorer on this trip. Not too much to be disappointed at there, I will have to check on the regulations about bringing back rum...I am sure I will have to Fed-Ex some to myself though.

You'll have a great time in the Bahamas. There's not whole lot of "tiki" there - but you won't mind when your sitting somewhere in a hammock with your favorite libation. Depending on the island(s) you go to - the rum distillery tour is a must! I believe you are allowed 2 bottles per person to bring back, they'll even pack it to ship. Some of the islands are very touristy (Nassau) but they have some cool places to go: Straw Market, Pirate Museum, and Atlantis. Enjoy and say hi to Captain Morgan for me whenever you get a chance.

K

I can vouch for the rum aspect of the Virgin Islands at least (that is not the Bahamas specifically...but is in the Caribbean area).

The allowable amount to bring back from there is six bottles per person. I've brought back more than that with no questions asked though. Your results may vary.

Ahu

J
Jawa posted on Thu, Apr 14, 2005 7:31 AM

Thanks Aloha and Aku!

It looks like I am going to go broke buying rum to bring back, especially if it's 6 or more per person...

:drink:

Tiki and the Bahamas - Can they be mixed?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13080&forum=1

S

Hey Jawa,

Me and mine went to the Caribbean last year and while there is really no Tiki to speak of in the Bahamas, you will have an incredible time AND as one of our fellow TCers advised me, take an extra suitcase for your rum! He wasn't kidding.

Now I do not condone illegal behavior, but you might want to check out the Havana Club while your there since you are not likely to taste it here. Unless, of course, you forget that two bottles are buried in your suitcase under all those beach towels you found at bargain prices. :wink:

Finally, we got our Tiki fix by spending an extra day in Ft. Lauderdale and having dinner at the Mai Kai. Definitely worth working it in if you have a chance.

Have a great time!

Aloha,

Arty

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2005-04-25 20:02 ]

J
Jawa posted on Wed, Apr 27, 2005 6:37 AM

Thanks for the info stentiki!

After coming back from Europe virtually empty handed because I thought customs would be crazy, I hope I can swing a few extra bottles, :D I will have to check for Havana Club as you mentioned!

Unfortunately, or fortunately since we don't have to drive as far, the ship is leaving from Cape Canaveral. Which was going to be pretty cool because the shuttle was slated to launch the day we got back. But now they have moved the date back...lol.
So no Mai Kai, and no shuttle launch, I guess we'll just have to do with only a cruise...:lol:

Hey Jason,

Of course, you can always visit the Mai Kai given your proximity. Sometimes I blurt out advice to those already advised!Coinkidinkly, I will be in Tampa this fall for a conference. I don't know the area too well but I hope there's some Tiki close enough. Perhaps you can give me a few tips after your trip to the Bahamas. Drop me a line on the PM sometime.

Yo J
All I can say is Havan Club Anos - get it bring it I'll see you in Tampa. Maybe

J
Jawa posted on Wed, Apr 27, 2005 5:40 PM

Hey Jack!
I'll have to make a list of rums to get while I am there :lol:

By the way, I'm hoping to get down to the Bahi Hut this weekend. I'll let you know how that goes!

• Jason

You may wish to mix your clothing and other items with your Havana Club, as the feds have (extremely foolishly) declared such Cuban goods illegal based upon the Cuban embargo.

The primary law used to enforce the Cuban embargo is Public Law 65-91, the Trading With the Enemy Act (TWEA). Passed by Congress in 1917, TWEA gives the president power to regulate, during time of war, all financial transactions involving any “individual, partnership, or body of individuals residing within any nation with which the U.S. is at war.”

http://www.lawandpolitics.com/washington/default.asp?section=ARTICLES&module=ITEM&id=230

Are we at war with Cuba?

In the Plummer case, the Eleventh Circuit US Court of Appeals reinstated an indictment under the Trading With the Enemy Act of a defendant who was seized 40 miles off the Florida coast in international waters, claiming he could be prosecuted for attempting to smuggle 121 boxes of Cuban cigars into the United States.

Jawa - when I was last there, we bought some rum called "Fire In De Hole" - it lived up to its name. The cool thing about the Bahamas is that some of the liqour stores actually have "tasting" bars in them. The last time I was in Nassau there was a 10 year old kid manning the bar and he liked pouring them big. We stumbled out of there after trying "one of everything".

Also try the Booze Cruise that they offer for excursions on many of the islands. Get on the boat, free rum punch, go to some "private" island, drink more punch, get back on the boat, drink more punch, get back to the cruise ship and hit the buffet. You'll be hooked.

Being from S.FL. I thought it was common knowledege that we were at war - with Cuba?

S

Jawa,

Since you're not actually traveling to Cuba, I seriously doubt you'll arrested for illegal contriband. In fact, I was really surprised how lax "homeland security" was. It was a joke. We were in the Caribbean twice last year - once in December returning from Puerto Rico, and then again in July out of Ft. Lauderdale. No worries. But when in doubt, drink up my friend! You can always enjoy your fine libations on the ship or in port.

Oh yeah, and have a great time.

J
Jawa posted on Thu, Apr 28, 2005 11:24 AM

Of course we are at war with Cuba!!! Where have you been for the last 40 years???

Seriously though, why black flag Cuba and not China? At least Cuba has worthwhile goods :wink: Plus,it's just sad that we can't do business with, or visit, a county that's only 90 miles away...

But anyway, if I get arrested at the terminal, I am shouting "TikiCentral made me do it!" and I'm giving names :lol:

J
Jawa posted on Sun, May 15, 2005 8:31 PM

Post travel report...

No Havana Club Añejo was found... :(

But, I brought back 4 liters of Meyers Dark, and 2 liters of Crown Royal. Around here (Tampa, FL) Meyers runs about $18-20 for 750mL, on the ship it was $11.95 for 1L! So thats why I stocked up on that. Customs did not even check bags! But who knows if it's always like that...
Anyway, I am tired, talk to you all later!

• Jason

Pages: 1 16 replies