Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Door and Pirate Ship projects - Lots of Pics!

Pages: 1 19 replies

Aloha all you tiki people!

As I mentioned before, we’ve been meeting lots of local artists since we moved here to Sacramento 2 years ago and I thought I’d share some recent projects. We did an exchange recently with a great metal artist here Joe Scarpa http://scarpastudios.home.att.net/. I designed a pirate themed tree house he wanted to build for his son Parker. In exchange, Joe created a fantastic metal tiki door for us. It is a screen/security door all welded of metal. He made it all from scratch, including forming the metal to make the half round bamboo trim. One of the six small masks is based on one of our pariarts masks, and Joe made all the rest up.

Yes there are torch holders there with real torches so we can light them when we have parties. How cool is that?!

The treehouse isn’t tiki but I thought you all might enjoy seeing the work in it. I worked out the design with a one inch scale model and I based it on the old Jolly Roger pirate ship that used to be at Disneyland. Joe used the model as a guide for his construction and followed every detail! You can see the full size treehouse looks just like the model. I helped out on a few details like turning the railings and bowsprit with my new lathe.

The treehouse is almost finished. It just needs paint and some small details. It looks like the kids love it!
What do you all think?

[ Edited by: pariartspaul on 2005-04-12 16:31 ]

[ Edited by: pariartspaul on 2005-04-12 16:34 ]

AWESOME!! I want one of those treehouses! That is so cool! Nicely done, I like the skull and crossbones in the railing. That tiki door looks pretty killer too!
Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

RR

Can you adopt me so I can play in that tree house?

Those are both fantastic!

Amazing!

Thanks for sharing the pictures, very much appreciated :)

T

Wow, that treehouse is totally mindblowing! If that were anywhere near SF you could rent it out for $1500 a month! Incredible work!

Nice door, too!

:music: I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Tiki-R-Us Kid... :music:

Everybody sing with me...

that is amazing! both projects, that is.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the wealth of talent on this board never ceases to inspire me.

-Z

T

Wow.. You guys are great. We know I love the pirates...

T

the lower part of the tiki on the door is certainly a "keeper of the charm"

Holy Moley!!!!!

Its no wonder I look up to you guys for inspiration.

I am floored.................

J

You guys do amazing work! I'm always speechless after checking out your latest projects... That treehouse looks so spectacular it belongs in Disneyland! Wow!!!! I'm amazed how you guys come up with these ideas that I would ponder and quickly dismiss as insane fantasy and make them come to life...

That door is amazing. I have worked building security bars for windows and those were straight. That is some awesome work.
I want a tree house like that.

Those are some lucky kids! Love the metal door too. You and your friends do some real top-notch work.

That is truly cool.
Did you go see finding neverland before you started this project?

That treehouse looks amazing! When I realized what it was, I was so stunned all I could do was laugh. You are very, VERY talented.

Beautiful work on that Treehouse. I was never able to see the Pirate Ship Restaurant or Skull Rock to enjoy one of their Hot Tuna Pies, I hope those kids eat plenty of Tuna Fish sandwiches in that treehouse.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-04-13 09:18 ]

T

THAT DOOR IS INSANE!!!!! i would love to have something like that, but it might freak out our condo association too much if they saw that on our front door. i love it though!! totally cool concept! more, more, more!!!!!!

absolutely amazing! i love pirate stuff; too bad our kids are grown otherwise i'd be building a similar treehouse..!

great work on both projects!

B

Man what Lucky kids to have a pirates ship like that. The door is also just fantastic, to be coveted by all TC'rs

I love tree houses and love pirate ships.

So I am so totally bummed I missed the pics of the Tiki door and Pirate Ship Tree House!

Does anyone have a working link to the pics?

I thought the Disney movie Tarzan was so great just for the artwork alone. Anyone seen it? I loved how they took pieces of the broken up pirate ship and hauled the stuff up into the trees for a home! I was upset to see they tore down the original Swiss Family Robinson tree house to build the new Tarzan one at DisneyWorld, although the new one is cool too. Just have fond memories of the original.

Greta

MT

I also love pirate ships and tree houses. And tiki doors. Can anyone repost these pictures? I'd love to see them. Mahaloz!!!

Pages: 1 19 replies