Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Oh Crap, I am carving a Tiki ( Finished Pics page 2)

Pages: 1 29 replies

T

oK i HAVE DECIDE To take the plunge and carve a tiki. I will take all advice and I will post step by step pic. Ok the log is 5 feet 5 inches. I have drawn out this sketch..

What do you think???

Here is the log... Found 10 this size. From one of the huricanes ...

Well here is the list of tools I have

1. Dremal tool and tons of bits
  2. 14 inch gas chainsaw
  3. Air compresser
  4. husky chisels
    ) Grinders
    Sanding disc and grinding bits for compresser

let the advice come..
Thanks

"Those above are going down, those below are going up"
"Paddle together, bail, paddle; paddle, bail; paddle towards the land"
"Life is like this: sometimes sun, sometimes rain."

[ Edited by: Thanatos on 2005-04-17 19:07 ]

B

Just start chipping away! And Have FUN

T

the picutre looks sort of what tiki G does.

T

Why not copy a master. Actually it is alot of people I have been looking at

Jump right in and have fun with it. And if the tiki starts to deviate from your drawing, don't fight it, it just has plans of its own.

On 2005-04-12 18:26, Thanatos wrote:
oK i HAVE DECIDE To take the plunge and carve a tiki. I will take all advice and I will post step by step pic. Ok the log is 5 feet 5 inches. I have drawn out this sketch..

What do you think???

Here is the log... Found 10 this size. From one of the huricanes ...

Well here is the list of tools I have

1. Dremal tool and tons of bits
  2. 14 inch gas chainsaw
  3. Air compresser
  4. husky chisels
    ) Grinders
    Sanding disc and grinding bits for compresser

let the advice come..
Thanks

and dont forget #5) bottle of rum and #6) First Aid Kit.

With ten logs how can you go wrong. Just start chiseling.

Thanatos:

I'm only on my fourth tiki, so i'm no expert, but what i've found to be helpful is:

draw a centerline down the length of the area of the log to be carved, then transfer your sketch to the log using carpenter's pencil or black marker.

if you look at the carving post, Basement Kahuna has a great step-by-step pictorial of him carving up a Marquesan; look at the photos to see how he's got the cuts marked; i found that to be extremely helpful.

have fun!

BK's Marquesan step-by-step project can be found here: scroll about halfway down.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6426&forum=7&59

T

Ok here are some pics of day 1 and 1 hour of work. I got focused on the mouth area.....

Tiki rider: Thanks Rum Helps....

Palama tikis: Great link... Maybe we can gettogether and compare notes

Raffertiki: It already is telling me it wants to change..LOL

Any advice Let me have it... New pics tommorow night

Thanatos, have fun with this. You'll love how it all comes together in the end.

A-A

T

Thanks Aaron.. Tonight when I get home the eyes,,

TG

It's not as easy as it looks huh! Keep at it....It'll be fine. Learning is always the fun part. It get's easier as you figure out works best for you. Some things work better for others.

[ Edited by: Tiki G. on 2005-04-15 04:25 ]

the palm wood looks alittle frayed and stringy; same problem i've been having with mine, although it looks like you've got sabal palm, and i've been using queen. keep carving deep; eventually you should hit good wood; if not, you may need to torch it up a bit to burn off the fibers, then continue to carve and sand to get rid of the burnt stuff.

AA had said in a previous post: don't be afraid to go deep! good advice in several areas of life! :)

T

Ok day 2 of carving..... Wow your arm hurts. And yes Tiki G, not that easy. Ok here is day 2 only had 45mins

Going deeper........ Removing more bark

Ok advice, cautions, giggles... Lets hear them.. But thanks for all the encourgement!!!!

Also " GO DEEP " Maybe we need that on a tshirt..LOL

Lookin' good..! keep carvin' it up. it gets more addictive as you go. last night i was outside sanding away till it was so dark i couldn't see... my wife called out, "should i bring out a blanket and pillow?"

1. More RUM
  2. ROBAXACET for the lower back pain

Keep going looks good!

[ Edited by: roadkutter on 2005-04-15 11:32 ]

T

Today I get off from work early and will be shaping him and staining tommorow.... The right tools are the key and " GO DEEP"

Lookin' good!

T

Ok started blow torching, sanding and staining... Will be done today and will post first finished tiki... Already got log #2 in the box.....

Thanks for all the advice. Will post Finished picture... Picture of tools and What i used tonight..

" Don't be afraid, GO DEEP" Still loving the quote

S

Can't wait to see the finished product.

T

Ok done and here he is....

Used 2 chainsaws, angle grinder, air hammer, stain and plenty of sandpaper..

Also Rum and 3 cigars....
Starting on second one will post in a new thread Thanks for all the advice...

Congrats on your first tiki! It fits nicely by your pool. I like the quote. Keep it up, lot's more tikis to do!

A-A

B

Way to go Thantos, excellent first try. Number 2 should be even Better and I can't wait for # 5. We'll have to be sitting down for that one. Thanks for sharing and giving the "As you go" photos.

great job on numero uno! i really like the detail on the teeth...

Nice Job! Let's see some more!

T

My on;y problem is it start to take a diffrent shape then my sketch... So is # 2.. Is that normal?

is Tiki normal?

my personal answer to your question is:

if you are a true artist, then the reason that the tiki is different from the sketch is that the true tiki that resides within the log is revealing himself.

if you are me, then it's basically a lack of artistic ability and transference. :)

I like those different tones and the design. Nice going, Thanatos!

Nice finish. Your approach with the paint is unique and really works well. What's next?

Pages: 1 29 replies