Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Architectural Plans for The Bali Hai in San Diego

Pages: 1 5 replies

Someone got the original Architectural plans for the Bali Hai for a steal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5968018683

I had notified the management of the Bali Hai about this auction, but I don't think they were the high (the only) bidder. Anybody here win this auction?

Sabu

That is super cool... while we're on the subject of blueprints I've got a question for Sven... where did you get the various architectural drawings of the Kon Tiki and the Kona Kai (I think that's the other one)in the BOT? I always linger on these pics on my daily flip through the "Good Book."

T

Wow - what a find!
That should have gone for more than $49.99 - and the restaurant should have won it.... Wonder why they didn't bid?
More importantly - Sabu - why didn't you bid?

On 2005-04-13 12:14, johntiki wrote:
where did you get the various architectural drawings of the Kon Tiki and the Kona Kai (I think that's the other one)in the BOT?

From the architects themselves, they gladly copied all the Tiki blueprints they had left on file. Armet & Davis are famous for their Googie Coffee shops, but did some Tiki temples too. Louis Armet, who was the one of the duo who did them, unfortunately died in a ski accident in the 80s, but Eldon Davis was very helpful.
Sadly, a lot was tossed, like their Playa Del Rey Polynesian Village apartment plans, and their menu designs, which were sometimes done by the architect's designers too.

I wonder what ever happend to (A&D Designer) Irving Weisenberg's relative who once posted here long ago....

Very cool snag for the lucky bidder! It would be nice to see more blue prints of tiki temples...even if they are copies. They would make very nice wall art!

Sven, thanks for the info... now if Maryland had any distinctive commercial architecture I'd know where I might find blueprints. Hmm, I wonder if I could track down the architects responsible for designing the Hawaiian Room at the Emerson Hotel...

Pages: 1 5 replies