Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Duke Kahanamoku Ukes

Pages: 1 3 replies

What makes these ukes so special (other than the name)? I bought one at a Tarpon Springs antique mall for $30 last month.
KG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7313655615&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

TK

what's special about them? it depends. The were a ton of them made, and they range from decent to wall hanger. mostly made in China or Japan, generally the older the better. They were (and are) your basic tourist Uke, and were still being produced in various forms up untill pretty recently (90's?) I have seen these get did up because people think the "duke" name makes it some super collectors item. The one in this auction looks to be 50's-60's, laminate (plywood) construction. going price depends on who wants it, but I would say "value" is $75-$150, (depending on sound) unless it has some famous story behind it.

I've read on other ukulele bulletin boards that bidders with zero feedback are bidding up the prices to astronomic levels. It could be the seller is using a "shill" to try and get a higher price, or someone is just trying to sabotage the auction.

Mahalo for the advice.
It's a nice instrument, but definitely not Koa wood. I'm keeeping mine because of the connection with "Duke".
KG

Pages: 1 3 replies