Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Fake or repro mugs...

Pages: 1 10 replies

It's hard to tell with pictures on eBay but these look like they were made yesterday. Are there many fakes out there? Have people come across any and have a story to share?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3969653090&rd=1

Trader Dick's still exists and serves tropical drinks, these mugs are still being manufactured, so why should these not be made yesterday?

My pet peave is quadrupled with this e-bay seller:

"Description. Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.
THIS IS A SET OF MATCHING TIKI'S FROM TRADER DICKS EACH HAS SURFER GIRLS IN BIKINIS WITH BIG WAVES AND DOLPHINS ON THE BACK..GREAT COLLECTORS ITEMS IN MINT CONDITION.MEASURES 7" BY 3 " GOOD LUCK!!! CHECK MY SITE FOR MORE TIKI'S!!!"

Aaaaargh! This guy doesn't even call them TIKI MUGS, which they are NOT anyway, now they're just TIKIS! And he can't even spell THAT right! Oh what have I done to deserve this, children...

I suppose I like the look of the old better than the new... mugs that is... each to their own!

K
Kono posted on Fri, Apr 15, 2005 6:32 PM

On 2005-04-15 16:27, bigbrotiki wrote:
Trader Dick's still exists and serves tropical drinks, these mugs are still being manufactured, so why should these not be made yesterday?

My pet peave is quadrupled with this e-bay seller:

"Description. Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.
THIS IS A SET OF MATCHING TIKI'S FROM TRADER DICKS EACH HAS SURFER GIRLS IN BIKINIS WITH BIG WAVES AND DOLPHINS ON THE BACK..GREAT COLLECTORS ITEMS IN MINT CONDITION.MEASURES 7" BY 3 " GOOD LUCK!!! CHECK MY SITE FOR MORE TIKI'S!!!"

Aaaaargh! This guy doesn't even call them TIKI MUGS, which they are NOT anyway, now they're just TIKIS! And he can't even spell THAT right! Oh what have I done to deserve this, children...

As author of the forthcoming "Book of Peeves" I am OUTRAGED, Sir, that you have so callously misspelled the very word that I plan on using to stake my future fortunes. Especially as the word is derived from the Middle English word pevish and we all know that Middle English is basically German anyway. For shame Sir!

:wink:

You may call me Peevey German from now on.

S

I feel like a toad. Until I started looking for wholesale mugs for the bar, I had no idea how many old designs were still being made. Volcano bowls, headhunters, even a favorite they call "Bora Bora." I may own some of these copies! Oh well. I didn't pay a lot for them.

HERE

And HERE

And more...

I suppose I am glad I can serve from some of these guys, and to find a source for 18" straws (3200 for $34!), but I was a little saddened...

D

Funny thing is, nobody is coming out with copies of the old tiki mugs that are going for big bucks right now on ebay and the like.

I would have no shame in owning a repro of Ren Clark's severed head mug. No shame at all.

D

Me neither! That is a very cool mug! I wouldn't mind owning a few repros if they were legit repros--by that I mean not being billed as the real thing. Like the Luau 400 mug! Man! That one went for over $200 on ebay recently!

[ Edited by: tikigiant 2007-02-12 03:51 ]

I'm happy to see the ongoing mass-produced "wholesale" mugs, here in Boston you can buy them at the restaurant supply stores in downtown Chinatown. My only dissapointment is the ongoing smoothing of the designs. Less artisan quality, less overall detail and impact. Obviously designed to be easier to cast and more dishwasher friendly for mass consumer use. The evolution definitely makes financial sense.....I guess. I like to have a few of them in my collection for "party" use.

I still prefer to use my fav mugs for my personal use, and will always love the feel, detail and history that surrounds a vintage mug. Most of all I love to think about it on the shelves of a classic "joint", and to think about the scenarios the mug may have "seen"! Kudos to the more artistic mug makers that perpetuate the art of Tiki Mugs with unique detailed designs, destined to become vintage classics!

Pages: 1 10 replies