Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Menehune Mystery Solved & Misc Photos

Pages: 1 5 replies

Whilst in O'ahu with au ohana, we strolled the Royal Hawaiian Hotels grounds. A matronly gal gave a guided tour, and at the end mentioned something about a "secret tiki" on the grounds. She led me to a place to the left of the old main entrance to the Royal Hawaiian (that used to face Kalakaua Ave before they built the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center).

She said it had been donated to the Royal Hawaiian many years ago. She stated further that the owners of the hotel didn't like it, but that they could find no one to take it or move it for fear of bad mana.

I crept into the shrubbery where it is hidden and snapped a few shots.

NOTE - this is the 'Menehune' in the '1945 Mystery Menehune Photo' thread.

The tiki/menehune is located to the left of the entrance in this photo. In between the palm tree and the person in the picture.

Back side of it from the walkway.

Front side. This was as far back as I could get due to the overgrowth of shrubs etc.

These are 2 of the 3 remaining teak deck lounges from the Matson ship the Lurlene. I had to sit in them with my Mai Tai and imagine the moment...

Baby Bong when her and I went strolling over to Chuck's in hopes it was still open. This was 2 days after it closed for good (for bad).

A cheesy, but precious concrete model of the Hawaiian island chain right across the alley way from Chuck's. I'd a killed to take that piece home (but whom?).

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2005-04-16 20:25 ]

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:25 ]

K
Kono posted on Sun, Apr 17, 2005 4:02 PM

Great detective work Bong.

filslash, are you going to offer to take it off of the owners' hands? Do you dare? Hurry before someone else reads this and does!

Mahalo Bong!
:tiki:

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:26 ]

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tragedy has struck at the Royal Hawaiian! I just walked through the hotel to see how the "renovation" went. All-in-all, the hotel looks beautiful. Not much has changed, they've opened up some areas to the outside and generally freshened things up.
I was rather please until I made my way out to the center courtyard and discovered this...

The legendary Menehune has literally been broken off at the ankles! All that is left is the base and some rubble.
Oh, the humanity!! A sad day indeed.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Pages: 1 5 replies